IGNORED

Buying HDTV or Plasma - Which one?

buddy

Buying A HDTV or Plasma 32'' - 37" Flat screen been looking at some like Sony - Phillips - Sam sung Etc Etc.

Hard to pick one So I'm asking you guys which ones to stay away from and which ones to look at. Looking at long term like 20yrs ha ha. Will be getting one this coming weekend

for myself I been wanting one for some time but never had the money and know that I do I been looking around

Just my opinion, bought a 46" Samsung High-def (1080p) LCD TV.Cost around 2900.00 at HH Gregg's (local retailer) back in Feb. Rates just below the Sony Bravia (uses same electronic components, just uses the ones that don't meet Sony's demand spec's). Spectacular picture, will handle all signalsthat will be used in the future. You definately want one that has multiple HDMI inputs ( for different gear, ie DVR, DVD, etc.). Get the biggest one you can fit in the space alloted, you won't believe the stuff you've been missing on a regular TV! Also get a High-def outdoor aentenna to hook-up to it, most local channels broadcast in h-d. My local CBS and NBC affiliates broadcast in 1080i, great for sports, almost like being there. Haven't checked out cable hd yet, not activated in our area. DO NOT settle for anything less than the 1080p, or you will end up being disappointed! Also- on the Plasma, it has a glass screen which will reflect any light object, disturbing your view. LCD has a matte screen which mutes any light (window, lamp) that reflects off of it. One more thing, don't go for DLP or rear projection. Spend the money and go with the best you can get. OOPS, also, don't buy at wallyworld or Sams Club. They are old stock from manufacturers that they bought at a discount. Go to a reputable dealer and you won't go wrong!

Good luck!

Dan

I believe you mean Plasma or LCD, both of which are HDTV compatable. I suggest going to www.cnet.com, they have work ups of alot of T.V.'s with their own personal ratings, I have used them totaly and they have never done me wrong. I just bought a 50 Plasma from Costco, the Panasonic TH-50PC77u. I love it. (It's the same as the 50px77u that is reveiwed on cnet, just has a different letter because it is a costco only product).

As for which to go for, LCD or Plasma.... cnet has a write up about all the pro's and con's, I think Plasma is the better way to go for now, but LCD is catching up fast.

Not true about the old stock at Walmart and Sams Club. They buy the new stuff just like everyone else.

If manufacturers had enough old stock to keep the pipeline full at Walmart, they would go out of business.

Got this info from a Sams Club manager and from people in Bentonville, may not be ols stock, but end-of-run for those models that other retailers didn't pickup.

Dan

Its my understanding that for large screens Plasma is better where as small screens LCD is best. Ive got a samsung plasma in my living room and just bought a Digital sony LCD 19" for my boat. I hooked it up to a simple antenna and was surprised with the new Digital signals as good as cable in my house.:thumbsup2:

Buying A HDTV or Plasma 32'' - 37" Flat screen been looking at some like Sony - Phillips - Sam sung Etc Etc.

Hard to pick one So I'm asking you guys which ones to stay away from and which ones to look at. Looking at long term like 20yrs ha ha. Will be getting one this coming weekend

for myself I been wanting one for some time but never had the money and know that I do I been looking around

When I thought about buying a new TV I spoke with a repair man in my area that I have known for years. He told me that the life expectancy of the new LCD and Plasma's are about 5 years. I guess I will stick with my 46" Picture tube RCA Theater model I bought new in 1991 and still has a beautiful picture on it!..................LOL

Dog

Guest KitCarson
When I thought about buying a new TV I spoke with a repair man in my area that I have known for years. He told me that the life expectancy of the new LCD and Plasma's are about 5 years. I guess I will stick with my 46" Picture tube RCA Theater model I bought new in 1991 and still has a beautiful picture on it!..................LOL

Dog

Hey.......I would not recommend installation of either unit on you bike......I know of one bike rider who one day was watching this set of long legs and short skirt and ran into the side of his own house..........:sign20:

Hey.......I would not recommend installation of either unit on you bike......I know of one bike rider who one day was watching this set of long legs and short skirt and ran into the side of his own house..........:sign20:

Had a 46" mounted on my bike but it cut the gas mileage to about 28 MPG so I told it off. Sure do miss the Satellite while traveling.

Jerry:big-grin-emoticon:

Our old Sony quit about a month ago and I have been looking at TV's every since. Still don't have one but getting closer I think.

I sure have learned a lot more about TV's then I ever wanted to know and seems the more I learn the less I know.

Not sure I really need a TV!:big-grin-emoticon:

Jerry

Not true about the old stock at Walmart and Sams Club. They buy the new stuff just like everyone else.

If manufacturers had enough old stock to keep the pipeline full at Walmart, they would go out of business.

RR

HDTV come in 4 different types

1 conventional projection, they are the cheapest but not as thin as the others. But very good, if you have the room.

2 DLP thinner but still projection, uses a micro mirror system. will not burn in, second cheapest and the best value in my opinion. very bright.

3 LCD, thin enough to mount on the wall, not quite as sharp or bright as DLP to me. they appear to burn in but really do not. They sometimes retain residual voltage and because there is always voltage to the screen, even when turned off, you need to unplug them for a few hours to clear any memory marks from the screen. Still cheaper than Plasma.

4 Plasma, expensive, buy very clean picture. prone to burn in, once it is burnt the marks on the screen are permanent.

NOW,, there are different levels of HD

720i, 720p, 1080i and 1080p

The number is the number of lines of resolution, obviously the more the better. the letters stand for interlace and progressive. An interlaced screen only refreshes half the lines (every other one) at a time, progressive refreshes them all each time. Progressive is better, but you may or may not be able to tell the difference.

If you are hooking them to a game system Xbox 360 puts out all formats up to 1080i, Playstation 3 puts out all formats to 1080p.

From what I've seen at Wal-Mart, they do not carry anything over 720p whether it is new or not. Go someplace else.. The best prices I've seen are at onsale.com next best at Circuit City.

Best rated brands are Phillips, and Sony. Top quality rated are Samsung, Mitsubitishi and Olevia/Syntax. Most other brands are made in China or Taiwan.

One thing to think about - go to a local stereo shop over large chains. Most carry models not available to the chains and you can often get a better set for close to the same price. I have used the same local store for all of my electronics for about 20 years. The owner and I are on a first name basis. I can call and ask questions and get real answers, he does not try to oversell and the staff knows what they are talking about.

Whatever you are buying LCD Or Plasma look for one parameter... contrast ratio. Thats about how sharp picture is in bright conditions. 5000:1 contrast ratio Is Goon, but dont go below that number. Higher contrast ratio is better.

In Home teathre magazin was rating of DHTV brands and Vizio is second

on top. They selling that brand in Costco and Sams Club. Strongly recomannded. Afordable and good quality.

Thats what I'M doing for living. Whole House Audio / Video Design And Installation, and Home Automation Staff.

Good Luck.

Save a bunch of money and get a HD rear projection set. Also, stay away from off-brands. Stick with stuff like Sony.

Another thing, it don't matter how fancy the TV is, you gotta have a bunch invested in the sound system. $3,000 TV running the stock amp & speakers is junk!

I've got a wallmounted 42" Panasonic plasma in the bedroom and we've been very happy with it. It is a 720p/1080i set. I went to a high end shop before buying it and compared the same signal on 720p, 1080i, and 1080p and I really couldn't see the difference. I would like to upgrade our family room set and I am leaning toward one of the new, 6-color DLP sets. Probably Mitsubishi.

DT

Here is an older thread where we discussed this also.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5886&highlight=Sony

Here is what I said at the time. Now almost a year later, I'm still very happy with my choice.

Well...I looked at a LOT of different ones before finally pulling the trigger just before Christmas. I was pretty sure that I would go with plasma but after looking at a lot of different pictures and reading a lot of different reviews...I finally ended up going with projection. I bought a Sony 60" with their SXRD technology. A bit different than DLP. I am extremely happy with it and it is a GREAT value when compared to plasma. The one I bought generally sells for around $2700.00 in most of the chain stores but I got mine for $2300.00 when it was on sale. Couldn't be happier.

The ONLY disadvantages that to the projection units are:

1. They are not as thin. I wasn't mounting it on the wall so didn't care. Mine is about 18" deep.

2. The projection lamps will burn out. I figure mine will last between 5 and 8 years and then it will cost me about $200.00 to replace it.

But....it is a 60" 1080P model and to buy that same size in 1080P Plasma is a LOT more money.

the new Plasma units will last about 60,000 hours before they are about 1/2 as bright as when they are new. That is a good service life.

Another point to consider is that the Plasma TV will use as much as 70% of its electricity while OFF!. That is because they use a circuit to keep the display partially warm. If you want to conserve electricity then you can unplug the plasma while it is off, or buy the LCD or Projection TV. I've got an older model projection TV that fits in my room and is working just fine after 5 years. I think either choice will serve you well if you buy a good quality unit of the newer designs.

I've got a wallmounted 42" Panasonic plasma in the bedroom and we've been very happy with it. It is a 720p/1080i set. I went to a high end shop before buying it and compared the same signal on 720p, 1080i, and 1080p and I really couldn't see the difference. I would like to upgrade our family room set and I am leaning toward one of the new, 6-color DLP sets. Probably Mitsubishi.

DT

The problem with not being able to tell the difference at a store is do you know what source they were using? Many stores will make sure the source and adjustments on the set they make the most profit is the best. I always play with all the adjustments on the TV at the store, unless they stop me, then I figure they have something to hide. Also Cable HD and DirecTV HD do not get reception at 1080, so if that was the source you would not be able to tell the difference anyway. And if you do not have a HD DVD or BlueRay source at home you really don't need 1080 yet. But many local stations do transmit clean 1080 signals over the air, you need an outside HD antenna to get them (inside HD antenna will work if you live close and the signal is strong).

A bit of advice I was given about buying a new TV that sounded pretty smart is to go to the local TV repair shop and find out what they actually fix before you buy anything. They don't always work on every make.

Most of the big box store do not handle any repairs at all so if you do have problems down the road it's nice to know that the model you have is one that you can actually get fixed.

Also you may be able to find out what models have the least problems.

Guest eric the red

Here is some more advice...

projections are the best for the money, however, another major problem with projections is if you move them and are not extremely careful, you will need to have the three color guns recalibrated and refocused, and this is expensive. When researching the plasma vs. LCD, i would find out what the replacement cost is for the bulb for your unit. That may make you realize exactly what you are paying for. Finally, from an insider in this world. A highly respected person I know in this field compares plasma vs. lcd to the old beta vs. vhs back in the day. He claims LCD is vhs, and plasma is beta. He swears plasma will go away.... just another opinion.... I have one of both, both 1080i. The pictures are great on either. I guess time will tell about the rest.

I got a 50 inch RCA HDTV with the DLP tech to replace a 36in Toshiba 'tube', that was a 4 year pain due to bad solder joints.

Our DLP is lightweight...me & wife can [but don't] carry it anywhere, just awkward due to its size.

The 3 main HDTVs are:

Plasma [high pressure gas] has the glass screen, but thin enough to hang on a wall.

LED has no glass [like a notebook monitor] & a great pic + you can hang on a wall.

DLP has no glass [like a notebook monitor], but requires a new bulb about every 4 years @ $100.

DLP is a bit wider at the base, so can't hang it on the wall.

Truth is, They all looked about the same, to me, I just got the best price on the DLP, even with the $25./yr bulb + install cost.

The 50" RCA [aka Thomson] cost about $975. about 14 months ago & is 100% programmable.

We really don't notice much difference between HD & regular stations...at home. Only diff was at store when they were side-by-side.

My in-laws got a Plasma with a 'silver' border around the screen, they HATED it & got the same one in all 'black'....now they love it.

It's a 42" LG.

They said the silver border "Drove Us Nuts & Couldn't look at it for Long".

I won't own anything SAMSUNG, since the feds busted them for their price-fixing scam last year. They got fined a few million & back to shaft us again.

Here is some more advice...

projections are the best for the money, however, another major problem with projections is if you move them and are not extremely careful, you will need to have the three color guns recalibrated and refocused, and this is expensive. When researching the plasma vs. LCD, i would find out what the replacement cost is for the bulb for your unit. That may make you realize exactly what you are paying for. Finally, from an insider in this world. A highly respected person I know in this field compares plasma vs. lcd to the old beta vs. vhs back in the day. He claims LCD is vhs, and plasma is beta. He swears plasma will go away.... just another opinion.... I have one of both, both 1080i. The pictures are great on either. I guess time will tell about the rest.

I think the recalibration thing is for older models and not a problem with newer 1080i or 1080p sets?

I got a 50 inch RCA HDTV with the DLP tech to replace a 36in Toshiba 'tube', that was a 4 year pain due to bad solder joints.

Our DLP is lightweight...me & wife can [but don't] carry it anywhere, just awkward due to its size.

Yup I'm running the same 50" set! Got a nice demo for $750 with a stand......

Of course 300 watts RMS don't hurt either. :smile:

As you will see, I have spent waaaayyy too much time on this subject. Did all the research and talked to many people and depending on which article you read or who you talk to you will get different answers. So a buddy of mine and I did the following believe it or not. We each went to Costco (because they had a super easy return policy) and a local ma & pa store with guys we know that would take returns back no problem also. We are both in the same area (15 miles apart) and he is on DirectTV and me on our local cable company. We each bought the same DLP (Mitsubishi 58" if I remember correctly). Took it home, hooked it up and tried it out. Took it back, both grabbed the Vizio 42" LCD did the same. Then the Sceptre 37" LCD. We then went to the local shop and tried the LG 46" (if I remember the size correctly) Plasma and last but not least the LG 46" LCD. Believe it or not we disagreed a bit on the results, but here's what we found. By the way we have both set up more than a dozen TV's and surround sound systems for friends an family.

1. We found that it's true each person has a different eye and it's ultimately up to the user what they think is best.

2. We both thought that the DLP probably had the most vibrant colors but we both have seen too many of these sets of our friends have to get returned for various picture issues in less than a year. I personally wouldn't own one.

3. If you can't tell the difference between a regular channel and an HD channel, your system is not hooked up correctly and you are not truely getting HD even if you aren't paying for it. Had this happen to 3 different friend and all were set up incorrectly and after a few adjustments, WALA!

4. The plasma sets were probably a slightly better picture than the LCD, but not by much. Not enough to justify the price difference. My buddy thought the Plasma was more of a diffence than I did.

5. The Visio was a pretty good set and the price was pretty good, but not as good as the Sceptre.

6. The Sceptre was the best picture for the best price. Costco online carries these and the bigger ones sell out very quickly. Keep an eye out.

7. We both ended up with the LG 46" LCD 1080P TV for our main TV's (I have the 37" Sceptre in my bedroom. Super happy with it and glad we did this little test, we learned a lot. If you can get local channels over an antenna, vs using your cable or satelite signal, do it. Much better picture and it's free. You don't really need a 1080P TV yet because nothing is being broadcast in 1080P at this point but will be coming soon so if you don't want to buy a new TV in a few years, I'd recommend getting a 1080P set. Don't trust the signal and picture in the store. They make the unit they are pushing look the best.

Hope this helps a bit. And yes, we spent WAAAAAYYYY too much time on this topic. Although when I started the wife said she couldn't tell a differnce between regular and HD and just wanted to stick with my old HD projection set and our $150 set in the bedroom. She wouldn't let me take the Sceptre back, wanted it in the bedroom. She's now come over to the dark side too!!