IGNORED

First street bike

uncledj

I was just thinking about my first street legal bike, which was a 1975 Honda XL350. I thought it'd be a fun thread to see what sort of bikes y'all had as your first street-able bike.

Kinda' like your first love, you never forget your first bike.

:173:

Edited by uncledj
mis-spelled word

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes it was. It was at the time when they came out with "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" promotion! It's a little before Honda came out with the 305s, and people where going cross country with them.

My first real street legal bike was a Honda XL 250. A few months later it was followed by a bike that will ever stick in my head. A Kawasaki H2 750 triple it was the dark green with a lighter green stripe bought it new. I sure would like to have one back that I could afford anyway.

1985 Honda Spree 50 cc scooter. I bought it just to get around town. I found out I liked riding that summer. I put 2,000 miles on that thing in 2 months. Had it in every town within 30 miles of Beaver Dam. 30 m.p.h. on the back roads with my legs stretched out aross the turn signals.

Decided I liked riding so much that I went and bought a 1983 sporster after Labor Day, and have been riding ever since.

Later, Scooter Bob

P.S. While looking for a pic on the web, found out they have they're own owners group.

And the guy is selling this one for more than I paid for mine at the dealer new!

1981 Kawazaki KZ1100D.

This was my first bike, not just first street bike....... and for her time, she was a ROCKET SHIP!!!!!!

I miss that bike.

http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/images/9/90/1982-kawasaki-kz1100-d1.jpg

image harvested from the Internet

I bought it used for $950, rode it for about 4 years and sold it for $1,000 and the whole time I owned it, I never washed it.

Stroker...

That Kaw 750 H2 was a 2 stroke beast. That was quite a jump from an XL250. :scared:

Had a few lessons about that. Had both bikes at the same time going from one to the other was a eye opener either way. Once while on the interstate in heavy traffic seen a gap at around 80mph jabbed it down a gear grabbed a handful and it politely stood up, Scared the crap out of me. I had never been around that kind of power and really haven't been since, I was 17 at the time. A guy I work with first bike was a Yamaha RD 400 and it threw him off at road speed doing the same thing. He still talks about it though and wants one back. :2133:

Edited by stroker ace
picture

My first bike was a Honda CB350T, i think it was a 1974. I bought to commute 80 miles round trip to colege in 1987. It had an after market Windjammer fairing on it and rode solo quite well. 2 up around town fine, but not on hte highway.

I moved up to a 1984 Honda 650 Nighthawk in 2008. Nice bike, but again, not really comfortable for 2 up highway use.

Last year got my '84 Venture! Decided to go for the Craig's List ad after doing some research and finding this site. I really liked the looks of the Venture and after learing so much on this site, I bought it and have not regretted it one bit. Doreen really went for it as well as soon as she sat on the back seat. I know with the help of the brain trust here, I can keep this old girl running great for years to come.

Dave

My first street bike was when I was 16, a used 1972 Yamaha. When starting, the kick start would kick back at times feeling like you broke your leg or ankle. It would also vibrate so much you'd think it move across the pavement when idling on the kickstand. Never a complaint though, just the sense of freedom, no stress or bills and make just enough money for gas and insurance.

first bike was a `69 Yamaha 80cc or 90cc had the gas tank under the seat, wish I had a pic of it...then baught a 72 Honda CL100 gold w/ chrome fenders.... put a dirt bike tire on the rear, as most of our roads in town where dirt...man those where the days!!

rode my dads yamaha 250 when I was a teen, but my first real road bike was a 1980ish yamaha 750 triple cyl. with dohc. rode that thing all over-- most memorable trip was from san marcas texas to orlando florida. took the most southern road available- thru the biyous (sp) of Loisiana-along the coast all the way- will never forget that old bike. Been a Yamaha fan all my life :guitarist 2: