IGNORED

I just ordered my collector plates.

Flyinfool

I just got my license plate renewal form in the mail.

I decided that I will bite the bullet get the collector plates since they are good forever. No more renewals for this bike ever again.

The plates are for my '88 so that covers the 20 year old part.

The only drawback is that I can not drive the bike in the month of January, In Wisconsin that will not be an issue.

I never had anything worth putting on collector plates before.

There are so many people that look at it and will not believe it is 23 years old (manufacture date was in '87), at least not when it is clean right after its biannual bath.:innocent:

You reminded me of that.....thanks. It used to be here in Nebraska you could get antique plates at 25 years old for a fixed lifetime fee.

Vintage plates could be had at 30 years old.

Looked it up tonight and they have changed things a bit.

Only January for you.....beats the dickens out of our new restrictions....

Your vehicle qualifies for historical plates if it is at least 30 years old and displays minimal modifications.

Vintage Plates

Vintage plates, derivatives of historical plates, correspond to the vehicle’s model year. Unlike historical plates, you only receive one vintage plate to display on the rear of your vehicle.

Restrictions

• You cannot apply if you don’t have at least one other vehicle registered in Nebraska.

• Your vehicle can only be used for parades, test drives and hobby-related activities. It cannot be used for regular daily transportation.

Restrictions

• You cannot apply if you don’t have at least one other vehicle registered in Nebraska.

• Your vehicle can only be used for parades, test drives and hobby-related activities. It cannot be used for regular daily transportation.

We have the same Regulations here, you can't get around having another Vehicle, but who the Heck has a saying in when you need a Test Ride on your Bike ?

I checked Tennessee rules today. They don't offer collector plates, but you can get antique tags and the bike does qualify. The kicker is you can only ride in parades or shows and only on weekends. Oh the price is $28 per year. Don't think I would be saving anything.

Jeff,

Don't forget to check with your insurance dude once you get the collector plates. If it is anything like cars, the insurance goes to almost nothing. With my '72 Buick, insurance is something like $70 per year.

RR

I run Arkansas Antique plates on three of my bikes, 1972 Suzuki GT750, 1977 BMW R100RS and the 1983 XVZ12T. Arkansas only requires a onetime fee (same as yearly renewal) and that you have another standard licensed car or bike. There isn't any mileage or useage restrictions with the operation. They also state that the car or bike is in "orignal like condition" but there isn't any enforcement or documentation required.

I like the convenience of not having the yearly renewal payments and the insurance isn't a factor since my bikes are just covered for the basic limits. My bikes were all purchased as projects and I have fixed/repaired them over time.

dont ya all wish ya lived here in Montana?? all bikes are licensed once, permanent, until you sell. all trailers, campers, motorhomes, boats are too. you can put perm. plates on anything older than 10 years, and never pay again as long as you own it. we do have the antique plates too....only for show cars, parades, and such. life is good in montana...............oh yeah, mid 50's all week, and im riding!!! :)

Here is a picture I took of the 1972 GT750J Waterbuffalo (or Kettle for you UK guys) last spring. I have ridden it for almost 25 years and it is really a solid bike. Always get a comment when I ride up to a gas station or dairy queen. You gotta be alittle perverse to love a three cylinder watercooled two-stroke bike. But I have my ways.

Also here is a picture of my other Suzuki, a 1975 RE5M rotary, only made for two years (75 & 76). I bought this bike on Ebay for a great price and had it running in 4 hours. Since then I have cleaned and overhauled the fuel and brake systems. This is a truly "out there" bike. It's exhaust note is unlike any other bike I have every been around and as you can see I like the "odd" types.

That's a nice Kettle with the Viper up front. That rotary is interesting. I think I had heard of that but sure haven't seen one. Nice Collection for sure! All three!

Did the Kettle come with dual disc's up front and behind the forks stock?

Sorry y'all, I started the hijack. But, ya gotta love a Kettle!

Here is a picture I took of the 1972 GT750J Waterbuffalo (or Kettle for you UK guys) last spring. I have ridden it for almost 25 years and it is really a solid bike. --- Also here is a picture of my other Suzuki, a 1975 RE5M rotary, only made for two years (75 & 76). I bought this bike on Ebay for a great price and had it running in 4 hours. Since then I have cleaned and overhauled the fuel and brake systems. This is a truly "out there" bike. It's exhaust note is unlike any other bike I have every been around and as you can see I like the "odd" types.

Amazing bikes. Thanks for providing pictures. I remember the Waterbuffalo well. Never owned one myself but I did own a Titan for quite a while until I tough my sister how to ride and gave it to her.

Wow feel lucky now.

In WI it has to be 20 years old for collector plates and 40 years for antique.

You can drive it as much as you want except in January.

And then you can get a temp permit for January at $5 for 5 consecutive days or $30 for the month.

You must still show proof that you have another standard registered vehicle so the collector is not your primary transportation.

The cost is equal to 2 renewals + $50 but is good forever.

Like I said, Not being able to ride in January in Wisconsin is no big deal. We have had snow on the ground continually for the last 87 days.

I just called my insurance agent to see if the collector plates would change my rate. He said that it makes a huge difference for cars but there is no difference for bikes. Bummer. Then he gave me a heads up about the masive increase in my premium that is coming in June do to the wonderful new state insurance statutes.

OOPs, did I use the dreaded ins....... word???

:nanner:

I bought the "first GT750" 28 years ago from a welding shop floor. All I saw at first was a three cylinder block laying amid steel cutoffs. I asked the owner about the history of the bike and who it belonged to and he replied that it belonged to one of his sons forgotten projects and was for sale. SO, I bought it as a incomplete basket case. It took me three years to find enough parts to put it together and ride. It had twin leading-shoe drum brakes that look cool until you try and stop. I later found a number of parts bikes and one of them was a 76 with dual front disc brakes (good catch on the model mixing). I always liked the calipers on the front of the sliders for access and just the looks so I swapped them around left to right.

Over the years I have collected many of the GT750 from all over Arkansas, Missouri and Tennessee. I have three complete engines put up incase I ever blow this one up. I sold two of the front drum brake unit years ago (pre-internet) to an individual who raced in the historic type classes. I still have one setup left for a future project or maybe to restore the 72 GT750J to original state. I live on a farm so having alot of bikes isn't a space issue. My family and friends are resigned to my ongoing facination with the 70's and 80's era bikes.

dont ya all wish ya lived here in Montana?? all bikes are licensed once, permanent, until you sell. all trailers, campers, motorhomes, boats are too. you can put perm. plates on anything older than 10 years, and never pay again as long as you own it. we do have the antique plates too....only for show cars, parades, and such. life is good in montana...............oh yeah, mid 50's all week, and im riding!!! :)

It's gotta be a little cool for riding...but I did see a few today...gotta wait the mud to disappear... I'm in Mt. City....

Rabbit

• 1 month later...

Well I received my Certificate of Registration from the state today along with a letter that it will be another 6-8 weeks before I get the plates. So for the next 6-8 weeks I will be riding around with expired plates making me a prime target for every LEO that is looking for an excuse to pull someone over.

I just hope that the plates get here before winter comes back.:snow2:

Jeff.........er.......really?

"I will be riding around with expired plates making me a prime target for every LEO that is looking for an excuse to pull someone over."

Come on buddy........we're a bunch of old guys (mostly) riding around on OLD bikes. I've been stopped 3 times in the last two years under the surmise of a "Helmet Check" and spent 20 minutes answering questions about the bike.

Now........the train horns you are playing with........they might wanna take a look at those!!!!

:stickpoke:

:sign20:

Ride in stealth mode my friend.......low beam.....no horns.

:biker:

Later Jeff

Mike

Your Water Buffalo brings back old memories for me. Mine was burnt orange and a basket case as well bought it for 75.00, Got it to running . And have to say the Water Buffalo was one bad bike to be racing against. Boy I crazy back then, it would do more than what the speedo would show.

Dad said every time I gave it full throttle it sounded like a Big Buffalo ..

Boy was I nuts or what..:doh:

Buddy

Ok Jeff..........I get it. If my head starts to vibrate......move the heck over right?:eek:

I was playing with the H9 projector lights the other night. Patched them up with jumpers on the work bench to my test battery. The low beam if well focused and had a nice break on it so the beam does not go too high. Now the high beam is going to be another story. I hooked it up and pointed it out the window. I live on 88th and there is a 3 story apartment building on 90th. I mean the side of the building lit up. I started laughing when I looked up and saw a guy on a 3rd floor balconey shielding his eyes. Pulled the plug and pulled the shade. Took me a while to quit giggling. Still thinking a Batman logo on the headlight cover might be interesting at night. :crackup:

Later

Mike