IGNORED

Thinking about buying a Venture...

Wanted to get some feedback on the second Gen Venture... Have had some tourers- my first bike at 18 was a 1987 Yamaha Venture Royale... Couldnt even ride it home- first time on it I dropped it in the middle of the road... lol... Good Times..

Second was a 99 Kawasaki Voyager- really liked that bike until something went crazy with the handling on the front end... Third was a 800 Suzuki Volusia- miss that one sometimes.. Third was another Kawasaki Voyager 2002 (used) -- had same issues on the front end... Had to sell... Present is a Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500.. Really nice but now its time to get married and she kinda likes to ride... The seat sucks...

SO--- How many miles are to many miles for a venture?? Im thinking there is no difference between a 99 and a 09.... Unless they went fuel injection somewhere... and the seat design changed in 02... Any input appreciated..

My ideal bike would be a 2002-2006 with around 20K-30K... Also the 2000 Millenium Edition would be great also...

Lower miles are the key and price range around $6000-$7000... Is it feasible...

Thanks

Greg

Sumter, SC

Ventures seem to be bulletproof. There are plenty around with over 150,000 miles. That said, the lower the miles, the better in general (as long as maintenance was completed properly, of couse), since resale (if for some reason you don't like it) is much easier for a low miles bike.

1999 had a few small things that were fixed in later models (antenna mounts and wotnot). The seat changed in 2001 to the pillow top on non-midnight models. Nothing else has changed since then, except the paint and engine colors.

There are plenty of bikes for sale in that price range if you look hard enough, some with even less miles than 20k. Pay close attention to condition, of course. A bike that's spent its life outside in the elements is going to have a lot more wear than one that has lived in a garage. Search this forum and you can see what a lot of folks have bought their (used) Ventures for recently.

:)

DId they make a 2010 model??? Or are they restyling this year...

I know Yamaha had the market on CRUISER/Tourer for a LONG TIME- since 99... But now Kawasaki has the Vulcan Voyager.

Yes, there is a 2010 model Venture. The only thing different from the original '99 is the color and I think the CD changer is standard. Yep, it's still got the cassette player too.

Dave

From a wife's point of view:

1st bike: 90 Benelli 9 yrs old

2nd bike: Yamaha 125 13 yrs old

3rd bike: Yamaha Virago 1100 41 yrs old (now my bike)

4th bike: Yamaha V Star 1100 45 yrs old traded it off for our

5th bike: 2005 Yamaha Midnight Venture 47 years old

We plan on keeping the Venture till we're so old, we have to trike it out.

You'll love it. Get her a sheepskin, she'll love it.

Have fun!

Midnight Venture's the best bike there is for 2 up riding....in my humble opinion. :happy34:

May be selling mine soon..Eyes on another bike,BUT I know its unrealistic but it is gonna take $11000.00 to get mine..Nothing less as I dont really need to sell it,but it has EVERY piece of chrome on it plus a Garmin Zumo 550 and BuddyRich cable. They are great bikes,go for one at your price as they are a good bike and many can be found under 10 grand. Mine is a 2004 Midnight but still you can find them alot cheaper.

May be selling mine soon..Eyes on another bike,BUT I know its unrealistic but it is gonna take $11000.00 to get mine..Nothing less as I dont really need to sell it,but it has EVERY piece of chrome on it plus a Garmin Zumo 550 and BuddyRich cable. They are great bikes,go for one at your price as they are a good bike and many can be found under 10 grand. Mine is a 2004 Midnight but still you can find them alot cheaper.

Another winger....I knew it!

Wanted to get some feedback on the second Gen Venture... Have had some tourers- my first bike at 18 was a 1987 Yamaha Venture Royale... Couldnt even ride it home- first time on it I dropped it in the middle of the road... lol... Good Times..

Second was a 99 Kawasaki Voyager- really liked that bike until something went crazy with the handling on the front end... Third was a 800 Suzuki Volusia- miss that one sometimes.. Third was another Kawasaki Voyager 2002 (used) -- had same issues on the front end... Had to sell... Present is a Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500.. Really nice but now its time to get married and she kinda likes to ride... The seat sucks...

SO--- How many miles are to many miles for a venture?? Im thinking there is no difference between a 99 and a 09.... Unless they went fuel injection somewhere... and the seat design changed in 02... Any input appreciated..

My ideal bike would be a 2002-2006 with around 20K-30K... Also the 2000 Millenium Edition would be great also...

Lower miles are the key and price range around $6000-$7000... Is it feasible...

Thanks

Greg

Sumter, SC

I bought my 04 Venture from a man in Camden who hadn't ridden it in 18 months. I got a great deal on it, and if I pressed I could have gone even lower. But I was happy and he was happy. Love the bike, I'm 6'2'' and 275 and it hauls me and the woman just fine. Even got a trailer now and don't expect that to be a problem either.

There are plenty of RSV's out there,good luck on finding "the one"

Ben

I bought a used Venture 2000 model last year. I'm very impressed with it. The quality, finish and level of equipment is fantastic. I've had difficulty getting the star accessories here for the bike as Yamaha Europe I think are discontinuing. Some are still available though. I have found sources on ebay for accessories ( mainly from the states ) - and parts seem to be well priced and easily available.

Its not very popular in the UK, but thats simply due to sports bikes being more predominant here. I think its a great bike. I've no regrets getting one. Its a delight to ride, lovely burble from the V-four engine. Much smoother than a Harley. I test rode a road king, and didn't enjoy that at all. Shakes everywhere and one of the worst side stands on a bike I've ever encountered. The shakes and the weight together really put me off getting one of these in addition to the price. The RSV in a different class - refinement, luxuary - and it encourages you to do big distances. It is very heavy, but the smooth engine inspires confidence regards handling, and I've adjusted to coping with the weight.

Edited by BikeDaft2

... But now Kawasaki has the Vulcan Voyager.

I have an '07 Midnight and it's the best bike I've ever owned. This is number 6. My wife also likes it the best. At this point there's not another bike out there that I would take over the Venture. Who knows what the next 5 years will bring but as of now, the Venture is my choice. Regarding the KAW........ I haven't heard a lot good about it. They may have a good bike there but not on the first run. Give the model a few years to get rid of the bugs and it may be worth looking at but I've heard too many complaints.

I wouldn't wouldn't worry at all about buying a used Venture as long as it has been taken care of. My 02 Midnight Venture is for sure the best ride I have ever owned. My wife loves it for two up riding as well. One option for looking at used Ventures is on e-bay. In fact there is one one there now. A 2000 for $7,500.00 with 38,370 miles. Looks very clean.

http://i.ebayimg.com/15/!BkCk5QQCGk~$(KGrHqIOKjQEsmnWIpOKBLV6LvD18Q~~_35.JPG