IGNORED

Progressive lens glasses

Venturous Randy

Not springs, glasses.

I know there are several on here that as part of the maturing process have gone to wearing glasses. For a long time now I have used reader type glasses and they work good at that narrow plane of focus they are designed for. I have again decided to try progressive lens as I really don't care for bi-focals, not because I am vain, but they are aggrivating and after some minor tweeks in my cataract surgery, my distant vision is very good.

This is actually the third time I have tried the progressive lenses in about 12 years and have not done too good so far. One of the problems I had was due to me picking out a larger frame with bigger lenses and I seemed to have to do too much tilt to get into the bi focal part. This time I got smaller frames and it seems better. The problem with these glasses is I seem to have a fairly narrow strip up the middle that is in focus for distance. If I look just a little off center, I am out of focus, and remember, this is across the top, and normally to me the entire area across the top should be in focus for distance vision.

so, I am looking for a little feedback for those that may be able to help. I am going back by the VA in the next day or so and talk to them.

RandyA

hi randa

i have tryed them hate them i went to just single lens and take them off to see close i hated that every time i would relax to watch tv i couldn't see out the bottom good luck on what you go with

bumble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

Mine are like that, and so far I haven't had any major problems. I just started wearing bifocals about 3 months ago. I did notice a little problem last weekend when I was standing on the second floor of the mall and looked down. As I was looking around and using the lower part of the glasses, things seemed to blurr. I was moving my eyes across the bottom part of the lense and I could tell the differnce in the bifocals. I just had to learn to turn my head.

I too have the progressive glasses and have had for years. I actually started the bifocal years with the progressive so I haven't had much trouble with them. One time a guy gave me the wrong procription.... tried to use them for several weeks before going back and discovering the mistake.

Because of the work I do I had a pair of glasses made one time with bifocals in the top and bottom. Loved them for what they were but don't going trying to walk across any roofs with them LOL...

Randy just make sure they are made correctly.... having them off a little will drive you nuts...

Good Luck,

BOO

i really like mine...i fly for a living and was initially skeptical, but they have worked out great.....my doctor told me that they can adjust the two fields. they can make them larger or smaller.....so maybe they can widen the long distance field to extend more to the side..

I like the progressive lenses.

The fact that you can kinda fine tune your vision by simply rocking you head up or down is a plus to me. They do take a little getting used to tho.

I had Sams Club copy my prescripton once. Never could get those right.

The ones I get at my regular optomitrist are never a problem. Maybe the problem is where your getting them. Iduno

I have worn both bifocals and progressive lenses. I decided I didn't like to have to nod my head in order to see clearly in some directions, and didn't like the restricted field of view. I've gone back to having 2 single vision prescriptions and like it much better.

I think driving or riding a motorcycle with anything other than maximum field of view is dangerous.

When I first got my progressives I hated them. It felt like I was under water when I moved my head looking down. I had given up my old glasses to be made into sun glasses so these new ones were the only ones I had. I had no choice but to keep using them. Fortunately the optomitrist had warned me about it. So I got use to them and after that I really liked them. I would not have anything else. I DID have to learn to turn my head to look at stuff at the sides like the clock on my radio in the car. If I just moved my eyes everything was out of focus. After awhile turning my head became automatic and I don't think about it any more.

Anyhow the trick for me was to give it time (at least 2 weeks) to get use to them.

Wayne

I've worn glasses for 40+ years, progressive lenses for the last 10+ years. I like them just fine. They do take some getting used to. You have to learn to point your head at what you want to see sharply. Gets the right part of the lens in the right place. It becomes a natural thing, and you won't even think about it after a while. Only annoying on occasion when it's awkward to get the head in the right place so you can see something close above you for instance.

As far as field of vision, I think they have no affect on your peripheral vision. With or without glasses, you only see clearly what you are looking directly at. Your peripheral vision catches movement or light changes, and gets your attention, but you don't SEE what it is until you turn your eyes, or head, and focus on it.

Give them a chance. You get used to them....

No problems here. Everyone who gets the progressive lenses takes a week or two to adjust.

Some have a problem riding with the progressive's. I think it's because you have to learn to turn your head instead of turning your eyes. As your eyes shift sideways, the prescription varies. If your eyes are looking through the same lateral position of the lens, the view should stay the same.

I have progressive and after a two week getting used to moving the head to align the target, or looking straight onto, I like them. The benefit, my opinion, is the fact they are a truly multifocal lens. Instead of a fixed lens giving only two real focal points.

If your doctor measures your eyes correctly, which a lower cost doctor had not in my case, you will find with very little head movement every thing is clear from near to far. The lens is like a hour glass in the center and the viewing area varies in reference to the size and shape of the glasses you choose.

Another reminder of you get what you pay for!

...i hated that every time i would relax to watch tv i couldn't see out the bottom ...

I got a pair with distance prescription for watching TV. Keep them next to the recliner. The woman at the eyeglass place acted like it was the most ridiculous thing she'd ever heard:confused24:

Because of the work I do I had a pair of glasses made one time with bifocals in the top and bottom. Loved them for what they were but don't going trying to walk across any roofs with them LOL...

For the work I do a thin strip of close prescription at the top of the lens would be just the ticket. Gotta talk to them about that. Thanks for the idea!

My eyes finally got bad enough that I had to get glasses. My right eye has very poor distance vision, the left eye is fine. Both eyes need a little help for reading small stuff. My first pair of glasses did not seem to work for me. I wore them for over a year. I had to slide them down on my nose to drive or watch TV.

That first pair got lost on I-40 when I left them hanging on my tank-bag. The eye industry has a scam going that if your prescription is over a year old you must have a new exam (and pay the $80) before they will make new glasses. I decide to try a different eye doctor and store. This guy made a few adjustments, based on my complaints on the first glasses, and the second pair work much better for driving/TV. I actually do not avoid night driving now!

Been progressive wearing them for about 10 years. I have the bi-focal put as low as possible on the lens. Once I got them low enough didn't have a problem. Usually have to have the glasses sent back a couple of times till they get them right.:2cents:

As far the prescription being over a year old you have to get an other eye exam I don't buy that, due to the fact about 8 years ago I broke a lens and the eye wear place said I had to get a new prescription. After pushing the issue come to find out there is is no law, at least in Texas, about eye wear prescription expiring after a year. Here again my :2cents:

You will always have trouble and get a little "off track" at first but you adjust in a few days. I wore them for years and then started getting so everything was fuzzy with my normal vision. My eye doc took my progressives, gave me a set of readers and made me wear them awhile. my normal vision cleared. He said that I bumped and twisted my frames so much at my job that they were never center and that strained my vision. I tote readers now and do fine.

After my cataract sugery I have great distance vision, and the first set of progresssives after the op drove me crazy. My eye doc suggested moving the start of the progressive down so it wouldnt be in my line of vision.

It was a huge improvement for me, its not for everyone as I have to tilt my head farther to read, but during my day to day activities I like my lenses now!!!

Brian

Had some trouble with the first pair I got and my doctor suggested lowering he bifocal part 2mm. That solved it for me. Like others said though you still have to move your head to find the sweet spot.

I am not having a problem finding the sweet spot in moving my head up and down, my frustration is if I am looking distant, I have to move my head if I need to look as little as 10º off center and stay in focus.

RandyA

I just got contacts again after about 20 years of not wearing them. The newer styles of contacts were weighted to sit a certain way on my eye. Every time I would blink they would go in and out of focus. So I just gave up. Now I am to the point where i need the reading glasses, but I dont want bi-focals. I asked my optometrist why I couldnt get the old style contacts I wore 20 years ago that were thicker and didnt move around on my eye. She said they still made them. So I got a set, and I must admit they are a little uncomfortable, not being used to them. But I can see almost as good as with my glasses, which were better than 20-20. I still need to use the cheaters to read, but at least i am not stuck with bifocals. The bonus is I can use wrap around sunglasses to ride in that are cheap, and i dont have to order a prescription pair of sunglasses.

I have them and hate 'em. They are OK for around the house type stuff. But not for any work that requires you to see what you are doing. You have to point your nose exactly at what you want to see clearly. Try doing carpentry work, every 2x4 you look down is curved. Try working on your car/truck/bike where you have to look out the corner of your eye, it's distorted and hard to find the bolt hole on thread on the nut. Try doing paper work at your desk comparing two contracts line by line. You can't just scan back and forth you have to move your head back and forth.

I have a pair of bifocals that I use at the computer where the top is screen distance and the bottom is reading distance (12"). I also use these when doing any mechanical work. I have another pair of bifocals that I use for driving where the top is for distance and the bottom is to see the dash.

I really need trifocals but the eye Dr said to try the progressive first, I did, I don't like.