IGNORED

Loss of our family pet tonight

BIG TOM

Came home from work tonight...Casey our 13 year old beagle greeted me as usual then went to lay down on her blanket.....a few minutes later she gives out a moan and suffers a heart attack...this hound followed Taters around like a chick follows a mother hen...Taters is devistated...this was the only hound that perfered staying behind with taters than run with the pack...carried the old girl up the stairs at night and down each morning for the last 6 months...I built her a handicamp ramp to go outside so she didn't have to climb the stairs...( she hurt her shoulder a year ago and we didn't want her to reinjure it again. At bed time when the lights were shut off she would not leave taters side till taters went up first , then she would lay at the bottom of the stairs and complain if I didn't move fast enough for her....each morning when taters alarm went off ,she will bellow next to the bed to make sure taters woke up with the alarm....I would have to get up and carry her down to be with taters and I would go back upstairs untill my alarm would go off an hour later....Boy did she have us trained...Casey was the last of a pack of 7 beagles we kept in our house...yes, I said house...never a dull moment...Casey was given to me as a pup by a dear friend who was dying of cancer and wanted to make sure she would be cared for...casey will be missed... thanks for letting me share my feelings with you all... ps. I'm gonna miss her asking for a ROOOOOOLLL.

Edited by BIG TOM

Sorry to hear about your Casey, Tom.

They sure do train us well don't they?

They become just like a son or daughter and no matter how much you tell yourself they are a dog they still are family and nothing can change that.

My condolences to you and Taters

Steve

akaBubber

Condolences to you and yours Big Tom.

Beagles are WONDERFUL companions!! Period!

It sounds like you spoiled Casey (or she spoiled you)...and that was something that Casey appreciated and show that through loyalty and providing you with 13 years of happiness.

Did you ever notice that anyone that ever looked at a Beagle ALWAYS smiles!!

I know this...all I have ever owned my whole life is Beagles. I have two right now that I have had since they were little puppies. The oldest one, Louie is also 13 years old (pretty good health) and Buster is 10 years old and still looks like a pup.

I really do feel your pain...take care and know that you were Casey's best friend.

Wally

Sorry for your loss, It will be one year next month that we lost our little companion. She was 14. She growed up with our 2 kids and was a great little dog. I said to my wife after she passed that we wouldn't get anymore pets because you become to attached and when that day comes it's tough. But that only lasted 2 days. Now almost a year later we have 3 dogs. one purchased and 2 rescues. A good friend of mine told me to go right away and get another dog, not as to replace the loving pet you had but to help with the loss. I said I just couldn't do that, but coming home those two days and not having her there waiting to greet us was just to much. I can tell you it was good therapy for my wife and I. Now with three, there is never a dull moment. Hope this helps, again sorry for your loss. However ther isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of how a wonderful companion she was.

I really feel for you both. We had to put down our old girl last year, right after MD. I have one left and I really dread when that time will come for her. You'll mourn and then you'll just remember all the good times and the funny things she did. Jeff always told me the dogs we had trained me very well.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Margaret

Sorry to hear about you guys losing your buddy. I know they sure do get under our skin don't they? We've got a 6 year old lab here than someone dropped off (country road) when he was about 3 months old. He's a housemouse and the biggest baby you can imagine IN THE HOUSE. Outside, he "runs" the farm and chases off whatever else shows up (coyotes, fox, dogs, cats, deer, rabbits etc. etc) He's our buddy and we'd be lost without him. Previous had Bouvier des Flanders for 11 years. Would never have believed a "dog" could become such an important part of life, but they surely DO, and a little dog can sure leave a big hole in your life when they are gone. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Sorry for the loss. It's hard to understand how it feels until it happens to you. We lost our 17 year old dog last year. It grew up with our kids, happy all the time, always keeping someone company in the house. Almost always did as it was told and most times better behaved than the kids. :think:

It's never easy loosing a dear friend. I lost my dachshund about 3 years ago. He was 17 when we passed. I had had him since the 3rd grade. Not a day goes by that I don't still miss him.

Thinking about your family in this difficult time.

Ben

My heart is heavy and my soul empathaizes with you guys in your loss. Your loss made me pause, and in my nearly 71 years of life now, from childhood til now I've had 23 pets.

My first was Giggs, who raised me with my olde brother, a Rat Terrior. He feared nothing nor no one, and was our constant companion as we both grew up. My last loss was a beautiful combination Australian Shepherd and (mostly, too) Black Lab. 'Boots' lived 16+ years, and as was all my pets ... was a rescue animal.

Now I have Old Scratch, a black, harry cat, asleep on my second office desk as I write. He is 17 or 18, and so far doing well. When he has his Resurrection? Off to the pound to rescue another one.

I will want a Snauzzer, as my last, Pepper, when with my X of 15 years who took him when she went after two other guys. I may call him Salt, ... if it fits (LOL). I will have another one, and as to another wife, who knows.

As retired clergy and CEO of retirement homes, etc., I know the turns of life and death very well in my 47 years of service. I further believe, with no scriptural basis at all, that ANY PET who becomes such a 'person' to us WILL NOT ... be waiting for us on the other side. They will be. I thank on rare, rare instances there may be a return to life after death here on earth; just my gut feeling but only with some people, and perhaps animals.

I also know there have been many days and nights when I was not feeling well, paused to love a pet, ... and I felt better. They are our healers in this life. I really suspect they are on of God's instruments designed to balance good over evil in our individual lives enough to heal us when we need it not only in illnesses, but also in our relationship with our local and world scene. Most certainly such a need is there to be met in this current financial crisis we may be facing for decades to come, ... all thanks to Congress in my opinion and our other political leaders.

I have read extensively in Life after Death occurances where people die, and yet come back to their earthly life, dramatically changes in how they live the rest of their years. Yet, ... nothing on pets.

Still as a Christian, I remember how my Lord remembered even the sparrows, and not ONE of them falls without the Heavenly Father knowing. The same applies to all our pets.

Just my hunches and personal beliefs, ... for whatever it's worth. And I could elaborate more, but that big of a religious soap box just isn't good to get on here for our site, respectfully said.

So, ... head out to the rescue center ... in your good time. Prayers and hugs for you and the whole family during these times of your recovery. What a great site has come tp be here where such losses and joys can be shared.

Jack Z

Zfrebird

Ft Collins, CO

Sorry to hear about your beagles passing away. I lost a dog last year after 15 years, and it was hard. She was a sweetie. Dogs make us human.

I have a 2nd dog, and he is what keeps me going sometimes, he takes me for walks, not the other way around