IGNORED

Alcohol in your food?

a1bummer

Just out of curiosity... How many people in here might not like it if a restaurant put alcohol in or on your food without your knowledge? I know mos,t if not all the alcohol, would evaporate. But there would still be the flavor left behind. I'm just concerned about the alcoholics who might not want it. I know some who won't even have an N/A beer because there is still about .05% alcohol in it. And there is also some who feel that if they got a taste of it in their food might fear a relapse. Does anybody agree with my assumptions? The reason I ask is because a friend of mine just opened a Bar & Grill a couple weeks ago and one of the cooks insists on putting beer on the burgers and using it to saute the fried onions and such.

I love beer... with my burger, but not on it.:2cents:

Thanks for any input, Bill

Well...you asked so here is my opinion. I think you are over reacting. Alcohol evaporates very quickly when used to cook with. Many dishes are prepared with wine, cooking sherry, beer, etc. I have eaten many foods prepared with all the above and have never really left with the taste or effects of them.

Been sober about 3 weeks short of 28 years. I won't eat anything cooked with alcohol in it. I don't go into bars either. Cough medicine probably has more in it than anything cooked and I will use cough medicine when needed. Its not enough enough to feel the effects if you follow the directions. I guess its the idea that it had beer or wine in it. I also use Jack Daniels marinade but it doesn't have any alcohol/whiskey in it to begin with.I won't drink non alcoholic beer. Beer taste like crap anyway. The only reason for drinking it is to get a buzz or drunk. And as an Alcoholic the goal of drinking is to get drunk. There's no in between. There's no stopping after the first drink until you can't see,walk, or stand. And that's how my twisted mind works... :doh: :rotf:

I don't keep myself sober God does. And that's how its been these last 27 years.

They are out there. Most of the time you find them right beside the regular beer.

Unlike Buddy, I LOVE the taste of beer. I have tried several NA brews and just have never found one that tastes really good. I could care less about the buzz and would be completely happy with a great tasting NA beer. :)

As long as they make it known on the menu and advertising so the patrons can make their own decision about eating there or not... I don't see a problem.

But personally... I would go on down the road to the next burger joint. I don't drink beer mainly because I can't imagine something that smells like that going in my mouth. :D

Been sober about 3 weeks short of 28 years. I won't eat anything cooked with alcohol in it. I don't go into bars either. Cough medicine probably has more in it than anything cooked and I will use cough medicine when needed. Its not enough enough to feel the effects if you follow the directions. I guess its the idea that it had beer or wine in it. I also use Jack Daniels marinade but it doesn't have any alcohol/whiskey in it to begin with.I won't drink non alcoholic beer. Beer taste like crap anyway. The only reason for drinking it is to get a buzz or drunk. And as an Alcoholic the goal of drinking is to get drunk. There's no in between. There's no stopping after the first drink until you can't see,walk, or stand. And that's how my twisted mind works... :doh: :rotf:

I don't keep myself sober God does. And that's how its been these last 27 years.

Congratulations on 28 years sobriety, I assumed you will make it the next three weeks. LOL May you have many more! :banana::banana::banana:

Bubber

They are out there. Most of the time you find them right beside the regular beer.

Unlike Buddy, I LOVE the taste of beer. I have tried several NA brews and just have never found one that tastes really good. I could care less about the buzz and would be completely happy with a great tasting NA beer. :)

Likewise I love beer but I WILL NOT drink when riding. Used to be one of the NA's that I liked can't remember for sure what it was but I think Milwalkie (spelling) and I don't like their regular beer. I still stop at bars when I'm out riding and need a break but ask for Diet Soda. Get some looks but I just show them I can still stare right back!!!:whistling:

I fall on the side of Buddy Rich on this. I've been sober 20 years and some of us religiously stay away from alcohol. I'm not going to take a chance.

I however think beer is the nectar of the gods. If I could drink without bad things happening to me and mine. I'd have a beer right now.:)

I truly enjoy the taste of a good cold beer, as well as a good mixed drink or a good glass of wine. I also use beer quite often when cooking, especially on the grill. However, if Buddy ever shows up here, I will skip the cooking with beer. I have friends who can't drink because they can't drink just one.

Back to origional question, I don't have a problem with alcohol being used in the preparation of food. But, I also don't have the problem of not being able to walk away from a drink. I might feel differently if I was a recovering addict.

How is that for straddling the fence?

Drunk my last beer 30 years ago. I never cared much for the taste of beer but a good tasting beer might be tempting once in a while. I do share a glass of wine on specials occasions with my wife.Once in a while we will drink wine during private times together on the weekends.It's not a necessity and not uncommon to go 30 days or more between drinks.

I have no problem with cooking wines or alcohol prepared in food although a label to this affect would be appropriate for those who might.Being on call 24/7 prohibits me from drinking and I never drink and drive, Not even with a meal while dining.That is my choice and preference as I like to have control.

A little wine now and then is no doubt good for you but I keep it under control. I don't remember ever being drunk so it has always been limited.I'm also under doctors orders not to drink due to a non life threatening liver disorder that is easily stressed.

I haven't been able to drink alcohol in ten years (medical situation), but I have always loved the taste of beer. I used to be a 25 year professional drinker. :Laugh:

Busch NA is, I have found, the best tasting NA beer around, but few bars stock it.

My :2cents: worth is if my sobriety is so fragile as to be derailed by a burger cooked in beer, it is likely too fragile to last long anyway.

However. I agree that the bar/restaurant should disclose how they cook their food, so that those who don't wish to consume beer cooked food have that choice up front.

Yep I like the taste of beer too, but unfortunately I am like Buddy and dont know when to stop, so when I want a beer I drink the N/A and the best tasting I have found is Buckler, it is the closest thing I have found. On a hot summer day after mowing the grass ya gotta have a cold one LOL To answer the original question, I would not mind food cooked in Beer etc. but they should mention it on the menu for anyone who would mind it. Craig

Hello My Name is Dave...

You know the rest I have been sober just south of 26 years..

As for me it doesn't bother me

I will drink NA beer on occasion and I do enjoy them

I cook with beer

Pork chops or beef franks cooked in beer try it

My first job after i quit drinking was driving a beer delivery truck for harbor beer in

Westbury New York

I know plenty of people who would absolutely freak out..

and a few may say well lets not order the fries

I know the alcohol evaporates its the taste that stays

There is a legitimate fear when your life was compared to a train wreck

You can see why people would not want to have the taste in food

or even a non alcohol beer This can be very tempting

A person should have the choice

If they would like the food they eat prepared using alcohol

I would not recommend someone eat there that had had a problem with drinking

It would be terrible if something like that lead someone out the door so to say..

It should be posted on the menu

My 2 Cents

Dave....

Often alcohol (such as brandy) is used to create a fast, intense heat to sear items in a pan. The alcohol burns off completely. Wine is used to deglaze a pan to make delicious sauces. In the end, there is no alcohol left in the food and you would be really hard pressed to find any distict taste of a liquor (or wine or beer) in food properly prepared with it.

Many things going into standard food preparation have considerable amounts of alcohol in them. Vanilla extract (used in making ice cream) is about 40% alcohol as is Almond extract (used in cherry pie). Bitters is 20 or 30% alcohol (use it in chili). Alcohol is a great solvent and is used to carry many flavors.

In good cooking/dining, it is hard to avoid. You could never eat enough of any food to get any kind of buzz.

That being said, if you make a request to not have any alcohol involved in the making of your meal, it should be honored.

And ... Liver and Onions (properly prepared) is outstanding.

RR / Chef Jeff

Congrats on the 28 years, Buddy - and those of you near and far to that accomplishment. I just celebrated 10 years last week.

As far as cooking with it, I agree with Freebird - it is gone. However, when I can and have a choice, I will order a food item from a restaurant that hasn't been cooked in it - just a mental thing for me. I try and stay away from the NA beer (probably have had (3) in the last ten years) - as couple of times I was looking for that shot glass near by - heehee.

let me preface this with the fact that i dont know this person, and am not passing judgement in any way, upon them.

that being said, i have been in food service for almost 30 years, and a burger joint cooking with beer, is a perfect way for a cook to hide a drinking problem. so easy to not know how much is going in the food, and how much is going in the employee..........

:happy-emoticon:

I have been drinking NA for about 10 years now. The best cheap stuff I found I liked is Busch NA. It gets bad reviews everywhere...lol But its not bad, all the domestic stuff is passable if it's really cold, nowadays. But, the imported ones are more beer tasting. I like Clausthaler Golden Amber and Buckler is good too. Guinness makes one thats good also. The NA works for me....the real stuff, not so much...lol