IGNORED

Alcohol in your food?

a1bummer

There is such a thing as too much coffee??????:confused24: :confused24: :confused24: :eek:

No, that is like being to skinny, to good looking, or having to much money. I love coffee so much I roast my own coffee beans every week so I can have the freshest coffee possible. For instructions on how to roast your own coffee with nothing more than a low tech hot air popcorn popper go here.

I also love to cook with beer, wine, and other spirits. Here is one of my original creations made with beer:

Fat Tire Beef

3 lbs filet of beef sliced in rounds about 1 inch thick.

sear about 2 minutes on each side in olive oil with salt and pepper and put aside.

In same pan make sauce.

1/4 pound of bacon chopped and fried up in pan

2 cloves of garlic minced, don't over cook

deglaze pan with one bottle of Fat Tire beer, scrape bits of bottom of pan

2 cups beef stock

1 Tbls tomoto paste.

1 tsp Herb d'Provence

1 tsp Kosher salt

1/2 tsp pepper

cook 10 minutes on high to reduce

prepare two cups carrots sliced diagonlly.

10 oz pkg frozen small whole onions

cook together about 30 minutes until vegies are just tender.

thicken sauce with 3 tbls flour and 2 Tbls butter mashed together.

add into stock

saute mushrooms in butter and olive oil in

1/2 pound mushrooms sliced up

put beef in pan and add mushrooms on top.

cool for later serving. Heat through prior to serving.

To all you that don't care for it, I'm behind you 100%, and I hope you make your goals to stay away from the stuff. I know far to many people that have had their lives ruined by alcohol. If you ever find yourself at my table be sure to let me know your preference and I'll be glad to point out the stuff to stay away from, but I don't cook for picky eaters.

As for the alcohol in food, I would just ask the waiter to ask the chef not to do that. Most places will comply, if there is any hesitation, just walk out. If anyone asks why? just say it is a personal choice or a religious choice.

I quit drinking probably 15 years ago because it was becoming a problem. had cost me a job, and about cost me a wife.

I didn't to to AA, or anything like that, just quit. I am pretty sure I am not what you would call an alcoholic but I tried to stick to my guns. Then one day, as part of my job putting on events for a city, I saw the O'douls display and what the heck, it was advertised as "non-alchol" and I got an electric jolt when I tasted beer again after many years. hey, it may not taste good to someone that is still drinking but when it has been years, I defy most people to still have well trained taste buds and even bad beer can taste better than it would have... Does that make sense?

Anyway, I was a little upset when I found out it had some alcohol in it, but then when I thought about it, I decided maybe I could have some if I didn't go overboard. Since then my wife and I (she doesn't drink much and never had a problem) have decided we can enjoy a glass of wine from time to time, and I will go through a 6 pack of fake beer in a month maybe. could take the two of us a month to finish an open bottle of wine!

I know that a real alcoholic should never do this, and I am not encouraging anyone that has a problem to do what I am doing, I am just saying it is working for me. I can even have a real beer once or twice a year without problem. I just stick to my plan of NEVER drinking to get a high again!

At an airport bar once a couple years ago I had a NA beer that was an import that tasted real good, but can't remember the name. Keep looking though!

Anyway, NA beer can taste OK to someone that liked beer and just drinks it for the taste now and not the rush.

let me preface this with the fact that i dont know this person, and am not passing judgement in any way, upon them.

that being said, i have been in food service for almost 30 years, and a burger joint cooking with beer, is a perfect way for a cook to hide a drinking problem. so easy to not know how much is going in the food, and how much is going in the employee..........

:happy-emoticon:

This is an interesting angle. Your friend might want to look into that.......

BTW, there isn't enough alcohol in the world to make liver and onions go in my pie hole.

I love brats, cooked in beer...mmmm.

If you just can't stand to eat anything cooked in alcohol, then you have that right. Just tell them, and if they don't comply, you can always spend your money elsewhere.

I love the taste of beer, mostly the ambers and lagers. If a person can't drink with moderation, then they should stay away from it altogether. Myself, I love the taste, and just socializing with friends, but sometimes, I love to get plastered too.:banana:

a friend of mine just opened a Bar & Grill a couple weeks ago

Hmmmm Seems to me that, in this particular location, there shouldn't be too much of a problem with people being unsuspectingly hit with something they don't want. :stickpoke: :whistling:

Now in a restaurant that may be a different matter. :Bunny:

At any place that serves food be it restaurant, bar or private, if it is a food that is ever cooked in beer, I always ask the question.

I am violently allergic to the hops in beer to the point that a 12oz bottle could be fatal. As a teen trying my very first beer, halfway thru the bottle I was on my way to the emergency room unable to breath.

One single brat or burger cooked in beer is enough make me very ill.

I feel it is my responsibility to ask the questions and make appropriate choices.

I have no problem with those that do cook with beer as long as they are honest about it.

Fortunately, I am not allergic to alcohol, :240:

And baking with alcohol does not remove all of the proof rating. You just need to try my rum cookies that WILL give you a quick buzzzzzz.