IGNORED

high pitched sound at ~60 mph

Sometimes when going about 60 mph, I hear a high pitched sound coming from I-don't-know-where. If the bike is straight up, it goes away. If I lean slightly left or right, it's there, significantly louder than the wind and road noise. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm accelerating, decelerating or pull in the clutch and coasting.

Since it only seems to happen at one small range of speed, gets much louder when at a slight angle, and doesn't seem to change with accel/decel, my guess is that it's the tires, but I thought I'd post here just in case it's something that needs to be addressed.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Do (Dunlop 404) tires whine at certain speeds?

:confused24:

On my first 2nd gen (05 midnight) I had metzlers (came with the bike). But as they wore I had a terrible howl when cornering. I changed them when I found a nail in the rear and went to the avon....the new owner still has em on and is pleased.

My current bike has avons on it and I like em alot.

D404's are not enough tire for the RSV. Don't worry, they won't last long. Then you can put on some Avons and you'll have a whole new bike!:cool10:

I run D404's because they have gangster whitewalls. I am on my fourth set and although they do not provide the high mileage of Avons and Elite III's, the cost per mile is not much different. And since I have my own changer and balancer, this is not an issue. As far as handling, I am very happy with all the tires (D404) that I have run. I get good wet traction and dry pavement traction. And mine have never had a high speed whine.

Now the Metzlers before Dunlops are a different situation. They howeled and had problems with the belts breaking.

:farmer:

just thinking:

you don't hear it going straight, but as your ear gets closer to the ground, you here the noise, and I guess you lean into your turns like most of us, and this portion of the tires, really don't get used enough. so you being off balance from your bike, you get to hear noises, you norally would not.

I'd throw the bike down into the turns alittle harder, and keep you body in line with the bike

It sounds like your coming out from behind the windsheild, and your Now hearing the tires

do you have any chicken strip left?

OK, OK, BACK ON TOPIC..

Why do tires do this?

Make that sound that atlm is talking about?

When I changed out my 404s to E3s, I noticed that the treads were cupped along the edge of the contact patch. Leaning it into corners would make them scream like a real aggressive set of winter tires.. The noise seemed to have started suddenly...more so at higher speeds and getting worse at lower soeeds as the tires were wearing more. No more noise...E3s for me. Brian :missingtooth:

So this happens because of the way a person rides then?

(wear pattern),

Or is it the way the tire is designed poorly? then happens

later on in the tire life?

If you do alot of high speed super slab driving, the center treads of the tires wear faster than the edges...leaving a cupped pattern on the inner edges of the outer treads. As you lean, this cupping is what makes the noise as it contacts the pavement. Some brands and models are more prone to cupping that others.. the E3 seems to wear better and without cupping for me so far. Just check out the differences in the design of the treads and you'll see what I mean. Brian

That is pretty much most of my riding is...lots of high speed super slab riding. And I love doing it on the Venture! :hurts: As far as tire noise is concerned, I also get that noise on the lean but that is only momentary...this I can live with it. So far, I have a little over 10K on the OEM tire and may exceed 11K. I've heard lots of good feedback on the Avons and Dunlop E3s and do not cupp as much or perhaps not at all.

Ride safe all.

My bike reacts completely differently with the E3s on especially in the twisties. Steering is much crisper snd it feels more sure footed and so far...no cupped treads because of the design of the tread and the stiffer sidewalls. I love them, not to say anything really bad about the 404s because when it was new it seemed to handle just fine for me. The road noise when leaning just started to really get to me so I switched them with many miles left on them. Brian