IGNORED

After 40 years, it is time to........

Texaskid

Not give up riding. Had you going. No I gave up smoking. Been smoking since I was 19, Cold turkey. Had to go back to Sacramento,Ca. to finish up on some workers comp test they wanted. On the way there I got sick. It got worse. I spent 3 days in my motel room coughing and sleeping. and just trying to get better. Did my test.

Didn't get to see any friends while I was there as I was affraid that I would get them sick. Off and on I would try to have a cigarette. Well it didn't work, made things worse .Coughing was harder and ribs began to hurt as if I had fallen down and cracked them. Well, That did it for me. It has been a little over 2 weeks and haven't picked one up yet. I am still coughing but not like I was then. Guess my lungs are cleaning them selves up. The urge is still there and will probably will always be there. But then I think......Do I want 40 more years of riding or a short life of hacking and coughing and being put in the ground six feet under OR would I rather ride and have the air going around me then be sitting in some hospital with a tube up my nose. Also I would like more time with the family. Bottom line.

Besides, I told the wife that what I save in not buying cigarettes, I can buy goodies for the bike. LOL.

Be safe

Bill

I lost my Dad to smoking and more friends than I want to count. All because of a legal addiction. I guess I should stop right there, it's a very personal thing for me.

Suffice it to say, I'm glad to see anyone kick the addiction. The best of luck to you... Just remember you're strong enough to beat it.

I lost my Dad to smoking and more friends than I want to count. All because of a legal addiction. I guess I should stop right there, it's a very personal thing for me.

Suffice it to say, I'm glad to see anyone kick the addiction. The best of luck to you... Just remember you're strong enough to beat it.

Me too. My dad had to have part of his jaw removed and a stroke to quit, but he's still with us! Hang in there man, your family would like to keep you around!

I started at the ripe age of 13 and smoked till I turned 45. I too quit cold turkey. I'm 50 now and the urge still rears it's ugly head now and then, but I've come to learn that if I just get busy doing something else, it does not last long at all. Just get your mind on something (anything) else. Do anything you can to get it out of your mind. Hang in there it gets much easier. It'll take some time for your lungs to heal. I can actually run 5 miles non-stop now. When I quit I couldn't walk a mile.

Proud of you!!! Hang in there!!!

Hey Bill,

Congrats, be strong! I went cold turkey on April Fools day 1989, (stopped being a fool) have not touched one of those nasty things since, can't even be in the same room with those that do! It'll take about 6 months or more for your lungs to get clear but lemme tell ya, it's WORTH IT! (watch your weight, food gets real tasty)!

Renne

(a non-smoking advocate)

Not give up riding. Had you going. No I gave up smoking. Been smoking since I was 19, Cold turkey. Had to go back to Sacramento,Ca. to finish up on some workers comp test they wanted. On the way there I got sick. It got worse. I spent 3 days in my motel room coughing and sleeping. and just trying to get better. Did my test.

Didn't get to see any friends while I was there as I was affraid that I would get them sick. Off and on I would try to have a cigarette. Well it didn't work, made things worse .Coughing was harder and ribs began to hurt as if I had fallen down and cracked them. Well, That did it for me. It has been a little over 2 weeks and haven't picked one up yet. I am still coughing but not like I was then. Guess my lungs are cleaning them selves up. The urge is still there and will probably will always be there. But then I think......Do I want 40 more years of riding or a short life of hacking and coughing and being put in the ground six feet under OR would I rather ride and have the air going around me then be sitting in some hospital with a tube up my nose. Also I would like more time with the family. Bottom line.

Besides, I told the wife that what I save in not buying cigarettes, I can buy goodies for the bike. LOL.

Be safe

Bill

Congratulations! that is exactly how my father quit about 30 years ago. He got so sick that he spent a week in bed and didn't smoke one that whole time, so he figured, why not just give them up entirely. here's to a long and healthy life for you.

Guest scarylarry

I smoked 3 packs a day and it was the hardest thing I ever did, the one thing I found over all to help me was a commit I did the 4 mg. ate them like candy at first and then down to few and the none..

It is tough and your body will react to the change, only thing happen to me was my nose ran all the time, was clear but ran, doc. told me you are breathing air you never breathed before and it will come to pass and it did..

I still have cravings but not again ever 15.00 dollars a day, good luck and if you really want to you will no matter how complaining you hear.. I heard it all on why and how to quit, what I found might not work for others but it did for me..

When I was 14, with two parents that smoked and my friends just starting, I got a motorcycle. I found I could have a lot more fun with a gallon of gas than a pack of cigarettes and never did start. My dad died of a heart attack and smoked until he died. My mom quit when I was about 18.

I was in line at Golden Corral for breakfast the other morning and a couple came up behind me. The stench of tobacco was so strong, I thought I was going to be sick. I could not get away from them fast enough and made sure I did not set near them.

I wish you luck and just remember, smoking is not a natural thing to do. You had to make your body learn to do it and you can do without it.

RandyA

Congratulations on quitting smoking! I too, gave up a 3 pack a day habit in 1999 cold turkey. It IS TOUGH, but well worth it. What kept me going was prayer, a LOT of Tootsie Roll Midgees and drinking water when I had the urge. I read somewhere that it helps to cleanse the system of nicotine quicker. I think the most helpful thing for me was coming to the realization and seeing myself as a non-smoker. Just as before I started the nasty habit. That was the real me, and I went back there. I hope that makes sense. Plus, I became really PO'd that the tobacco companies had juiced up the nicotine to more thoroughly hook us. The drug has a powerful hold on the body, but the mind will make the difference. You can do it!

You will feel better

Think of all the cool things you can buy with the extra money

Something to help:

When you have a craving for a

Smoke - A Drink - or a drug

That Craving will go away in 10 minutes

That is all you need to remember

Any one can make it 10 minutes

:080402gudl_prv:

Its been 3 years October 10

15 years of smoking

I was at 3 packs or 15 dollars a day when I quit

That has added up to several trips and a camper

I came home from Bike Night I had 1 smoke left

Smoked it and said I really should quit

Hell I only bought the pack on the way home from work that evening

That was it....

40 years I smoked and then I quit. When I felt the urge I just said to myself I would forget about if for two minutes and than think about it then. I always forgot to think about it because by the time my 2 minutes were up I was already doing something else.

Keep at it and don't give in or up. YOU CAN DO THIS