IGNORED

Another biker down, ME

Midrsv

I know it is happening far too frequently but I have to add my name to the list of those that have crashed this year and it was my fault. It was threatening rain today but I had to ride to work anyway due to having an appointment at noon to have new tires mounted before my ride to Florida next week.

As I rode it began to rain so I made it to gas station with a canopy to pull under so I could put my rain pants on. I was about 100 yards from an intersection and I had to make a left out of the station crossing two lanes of inbound traffic to get to the outbound lane. It was raining lightly. I had to wait for traffic moving in both directions. I kept watching to the left and saw that the light was changing at the intersection so the traffic would have to stop and, I could get out before the people turning right off of the cross street made it to me. I again looked left, right, back left and started out. As crossed the near lane and proceeded into the next lane I looked to the left again about 10 yards from me was a black Honda coming right at me. I had failed to see her car. I was fully perpendicular to her lane was in her way. I thougt to myself, "this ain't going to be pretty".

I recall hearing an impact but don't recall any pain. Seconds later I stood up and was really disoriented from being spun around in the air. I found my bearings and walked back to the gas station to get under the canopy. A few minutes later the EMT, fire dept, police, and then my wife show up. All so surreal. I have a little soreness in my left thigh from hitting the right side of the tank and a bit of soreness above my left ankle. And, HELMETS WORK, the ladie's windshield was broken at the base just above her hood. She said my head hit it. At my wife's insistence I'm going to the DR this afternoon to get checked out.

So the fire dept rolls my bike off to the side and after the reports were made my wife took me home go get my truck. I called a couple of friends and picked up a trailer to go retrieve the bike. The left side is pretty bent up. Saddle bag, both floor boards, crash bars front and rear, lower left fairing is obliterated, upper fairing is beat up, trunk or mounting is bent because it doesnt close too good and it is really off-center relative to the windshield, and my friends think the fork is bent slightly at the fender. So it is setting on a trailer in my garage and I guess I need to call the insurance company now. I hope it is totaled because I don't think I would have any confidence in it once repaired.

Anyone need a new set of Michelin Commanders? I'll put them on the shelf until my next bike wears out a set.

I nearly always ride with a helmet. About the only time I don't is when I am within my neighborhood. They work and I won't go out of the driveway now without one.

Be Careful!

Dennis

Well Dennis glad you are here to tell about it. Some are not so lucky.You just never know when its your turn only the man upstairs know's. Just not your time. Sure you feel the same way. I also been there but was hit from behind as I was making a turn right. Person ran a red light behind me as I was turning right the next street after the light. Went flying landed on my head helmet split and came off and I am still here to tell all. Thank God for that. So glad to see you are still here to share with all. :080402gudl_prv: on new bike sounds like you'll need another one.

Now for the tires how much for them?

Joe star4772 :confused24:

Dennis,

Sorry to hear of your dump, but sure am glad your able to tell us about it..

I know you have enough bad news going on in your world but please dont be offended here... I have to share more of the same with you..

Please make note that the below has been copied from other postings

that our famous 86r (Todd) started a short while back..

1. If you drop your bike, you put $5 in the kitty.

2. If you crash your bike, you put in $10.

The difference is 5mph; under 5 it's a drop, over 5mph, it's a crash!

I think that this is something that might be a fun way to help out with the expenses/prize kitty for VentureRider.org!

I just hit the "Donations" button on the top right side of the VR.O Toolbar, and donated $5.00 to the site.

Todd

Kbran posted:

Oh well I guess that's $10 for the site.

I just hit the donate button for my drops

Looks like its YOUR turn up to bat....................:whistling: :rotf:

Really sorry to hear about your wreck. Sounds like you are very lucky though to not be injured any worse than you are. Don't be too hard on yourself. I drive every single day in my job and I think I am very careful and a good driver but I have had a couple of close calls also that I attribute to my own faults.

As for those tires. Are you saying that you have a new set that you hadn't mounted yet? If so, I may be interested. Shoot me a PM.

As my son found out a couple of weeks ago, Yes, Helments work.

He found out the hard way, No helment and an estimated 150 stitches in his head. He said he will never be without one again....

Close call, could have been much worse, Gald to hear it wasn't.:322:

They say the third day is the worse for soreness.:080402gudl_prv:

Thank God you had a helmet on in that situation.

It's good to talk about it. That can be a traumatic experience no matter how small the crash. Make sure you keep sharing your feelings about it, accept any mistakes on your part, learn from them and share it with other riders. :happy34:

Here's to a speedy recovery. :)

Have I told you guys how much I like helmets? I do. Anyway, as an update, I went to the DR to satisfy my wife and everything seems to be OK. Just a pretty good bruise on my left thigh and sore left ankle. They took about a dozen Xrays and being put on that hard table hurt worse than the crash. I've got prescriptions for some good drugs which I'll probably need if I plan to be able to move in the morning.

Thanks for all of the support.

Dennis

Been there, Done that.

Glad to hear you were able to walk away with only some soreness. This is a good testiment to wearing a helmet. We had a friend we ride with go down last year, normally didn't wear a helmet, but thank God she had it on. Now due to her testimony, everyone in our group has started wearing them. I crashed many years ago and won't get on my bike without my helmet. Hope you get a new bike and are back on the road soon

Have I told you guys how much I like helmets? I do. Anyway, as an update, I went to the DR to satisfy my wife and everything seems to be OK. Just a pretty good bruise on my left thigh and sore left ankle. They took about a dozen Xrays and being put on that hard table hurt worse than the crash. I've got prescriptions for some good drugs which I'll probably need if I plan to be able to move in the morning.

Thanks for all of the support.

Dennis

Well it could have been a different cold table you were lying on.

We all are very glad you were not hurt worse and be able to walk away from this.

:)

Here is a diagram of the accident scene. I was turning left out of the right front entrance to the BP station. I guess I should have gone out at the side entrance and used the light to cross traffic.

To add insult to injury, I had to go buy a plane ticket to Florida. Oh well, I do like helmets. I need to send a thank you note to HJC.

Dennis

we do not bounce like we used too. glad you are home and typing away. get ready for some achy bones, take lots warm showers and use those ice packs. its been 4 weeks since my slide on the pavement, still a little sore, but healing well. the insurance guy took my helmet and marched right out and threw it in his trunk so i would not use it again. so go out when you are feeling up to it and pick up a shiny new one, they work. you lucked out, no broken bones, definetly someone upstairs was looking out for you. take care.