IGNORED

Why do they haul their bikes?

Kirby

Here's a question just to see what the answers will be. Just curious. I do a good bit of riding and notice this alot. Why do riders of certain bikes(read-"American made") haul their bikes around on trailers or the back of pickups? Yea, I'm gonna stir it up now!!! Heh Heh Heh:duck::duck::duck::mytruck:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can stand the vibration to ride them.

I an't going to talk much, went on the Iron butt, this weekend and guess who's bike gave troubl. Mine my 04 RSV. fuse at the starter sileniod corroded up and burnt the holder, had to patch it, and it gave trouble in the rain.

Bobby's electra Glide was giving electrical problems too.

Gregg

Because it tooooooo cool to ride all day with no sleeves, and an open shirt so others can be impressed with the macho.

Best put though,,, is,,, image.

And all the other reasons so far.

That's why they don't wave either,,,,,,, we're not on the same level.

All that said, I still wave, and I still go to talk to them at the coffee stop. Their demeanor shouldn't change mine,,,,,, aaaaaaand I like to stir the pot.

AAAAAAnd if I see one on a trailer at a stop,,, I go ask them some questions,,,,,,,,,,,:stirthepot:

Many of the HD's are not setup to be long distance riding machines. You try to ride a Fat Boy for 500 or 600 miles per day. No thanks. However, if you want to ride on some cool roads away from home, and that is your only bike, you either take a week to get there or trailer it.

Not my cup of tea, but it makes sense.

RR

I saw this sign at the Devil's Backbone Tavern near Blanco, TX:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3348/3436088327_9b72dcaaaf.jpg

More seriously, I had a friend tell me that he likes to trailer because he takes his wife and she'd prefer to shop than ride. They park, then they both do their own thing.

Can't explain the many trucks I pass with two dudes in the passenger compartment and two bikes on the trailer. Is it right to give the biker sign to someone towing their bike?

Dave

I went to Bikes, Blues, and Barbeque in Fayetteville, AR this weekend. The campground where we stayed was full of trailered Harleys and some weren't from very far away. Most I saw were older hardcore bikers looking guys and gals. Maybe they have lived such a hard life that they can't ride that far any more or can't stand all that vibration.

C'mon now, let's be fair. All the bikes on trailers aren't HDs. I'll admit that I personally believe there are more posers who own that brand than others, but we even have a few of our own posers here, right Bill? :stickpoke: He hauls rice on his trailer just about anywhere he goes with it!

There ain't no accounting for it, but fact is, some people would rather be seen WITH a bike than ON it!

Goose

Just curious, which Meet-n-Eat does this refer to?

Shouldn't this thread just be moved to the Made-in-America-Bike-Riders-Bashing section?

If I had a place to store a trailer I'd have one. I could take more trips across the country and establish a 'home' base with friends while I take off to ride for a day, days, or a week or more at a time. I can think of at least 5 more reasons I would trailer on occasions.

There ain't no accounting for it, but fact is, some people would rather be seen WITH a bike than ON it!

Goose

This is certainly the truth. There are some folks that moved in across the street from me that I met one day when I was pulling into my house (on the bike of course). I saw in the driveway was a street bob (I don't know what year) and a 2003 Road King. I parked and walked over there to introduce my self and welcome them to the neighborhood and all and we got talking about motorcycles... Come to find out his 03 RK he bought new (in 03) and has less than 1500 miles on it; but he said he 'rides a lot'. I was baffled. The bike was in great shape, at least visually.

Anyways, one thing I have wondered and have tried to do (not very hard) is to find the sales statistics of different brands of motorcycles and figure out if maybe there are just that many more of a particular brand on the road so the probability of seeing one or some up in a trailer is just that much higher.

I know there are some folks that also like to trailer on long trips so one can ride when they get there and the other can do their own thing or whatever. I had considered that this past summer. My girlfriend and I were going to head up to Michigan and I certainly did not want to be without the bike but she wanted to take a car. So my option was to either 1) talk her into riding with me 2) drive 2 vehicles 3) trailer the bike 4) I guess an option would have been to not take the bike, but that was not really considered. Fortunately, I talked her into option 1.

Anyhoot, in all fairness I think that anyone has the right to spend their $$$ and ride (or not) their bikes as much or as little as they want. It is none of my business what someone else does or wants to do with their own property as long as it does not infringe on my ability to do what I want to do with mine.

Anyhoot, in all fairness I think that anyone has the right to spend their $$$ and ride (or not) their bikes as much or as little as they want. It is none of my business what someone else does or wants to do with their own property as long as it does not infringe on my ability to do what I want to do with mine.
I absolutely agree, and I don't think anybody here is suggesting that they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

But the rest of us have the same right to laugh and snort at the trailer-boys too!

Goose

Some Canadians... like my brother... have a closed bike trailer and in the middle of winter when its too cold to ??, well to cold to do pretty much anything outside, they trailer their bikes down to Vegas or other place warm, then ride around for a couple or three weeks and trailer back. I wouldn't mind doing that but I don't have trailer.... yet. Seems like a nice wineter getaway.

They trailer it because it is theirs and they can do what they choose. I have trailered mine, sometimes we meet several friends and we haul coolers, stoves etc and stay at a campground.

Funny, I saw trailers at the International meet in Harrison but there were no threads concerning that.

I've never trailered until a trip to CO this year. A buddy and our wives went and there is just no way my wifes back could ride 850 miles one way and then do 1200 miles in CO. I wanted her to go...the end.

If it is just me, I'll ride everytime, but the co-pilot just can't do 2,000-3,000 in a week! Some day I plan on taking a 7,000-8,000 mile trip from MO to all the National Parks in the west and Canada. I'll do the whole trip and fly her to Seattle, have her ride the Pacific coast highway to San Fran and fly her home. Come on retirement!

C'mon now, let's be fair. All the bikes on trailers aren't HDs. I'll admit that I personally believe there are more posers who own that brand than others, but we even have a few of our own posers here, right Bill? :stickpoke: He hauls rice on his trailer just about anywhere he goes with it!

Goose

Poser?? Hey dude, I've trailered. You calling me a poser?? If you have to ride around sweating or freezing your a$$ off, and picking gnats out of your teeth to meet your definition of a 'true biker' so be it, but count me out. Endless miles of mostly the same scenery just to get to the photo-ops and you think that's fun?? Enjoyable?? I think it's boring as he!!... You want the wind in your face go sit in front of a fan... So just because a member wants to trailer in comfort, and ride when they get there, doesn't make them any less a rider, or a poser (sic). It makes them smart....:stirthepot:

http://www.spaceg.com/multimedia/collection/motorcycles/bugs%20in%20teeth%201.jpg

Edited by Condor

They trailer it because it is theirs and they can do what they choose. I have trailered mine, sometimes we meet several friends and we haul coolers, stoves etc and stay at a campground.

Funny, I saw trailers at the International meet in Harrison but there were no threads concerning that.

I'm thinking on trailering mine, in December to Vancouver Island. As I might get some winter riding in (as long as it's not like last winter there). I should be there, for almost a month I hope, before heading back to -30C to -50C temps.

Hey c'mon guys it was just a question. No need to get your panties all in a wad. Seriosly this is the response I was expecting . I'm sure everyone that hauls their bike has a good reason. I'm not saying we should ride everywhere we go. But yet isn't thast why you bought the bike in the first place? Or was it simply because you wanted to be a B-I-K-E-R. Some people just like so SAY they own a bike. In my case, Ill be glad when I get to the point in my life that I can take off from work long enough to ride all 49 states and Canada. Until then I'll just have to make do with 1000 to 1500 miles on a weekend. After all you've got to have the PASSION for riding! Or, just be CRAZY, like me!! I told you all in the beginning that I was going to stir it!! Thanks for all the responses. Now enough talk, Let's go ride!!!