IGNORED

valve cover gasket

Guest texasyamahamama

Guest texasyamahamama

I blew a valve cover gasket on my 89 VR yesterday. This is my second season riding it after it sat idle for about 13 or 14 years. Do you guys think I should just go ahead and replace all of them? I don't want to be stranded somewhere. Lucky for me yesterday I was in town, if I hadn't been on call there's no telling where I would have been.

Thanks for your input,

Jackie

I blew a valve cover gasket on my 89 VR yesterday. This is my second season riding it after it sat idle for about 13 or 14 years. Do you guys think I should just go ahead and replace all of them? I don't want to be stranded somewhere. Lucky for me yesterday I was in town, if I hadn't been on call there's no telling where I would have been.

Thanks for your input,

Jackie

Jackie,

The gaskets are a PITA to change, you'll have to take a lot of the plastic off to get at them easily. I would recommend pulling the plastic as it will make life easier on getting the covers out. A trick I use is to flip the cover upside down and put a very small bead of RTV in the channel. Then press the gasket in and let it set overnight, this will great reeduce your headaches trying to install the covers back on. There are only 2 bottom gaskets and 16 of the upper plug style washers, I would replace them all at 1 time :2cents:

Sorry not much of a mechanic yet. What's RTV?

Jackie

Room Temperature Vulcanizing rubber. Commonly called silicone.

In your question you stated that you "blew a valve cover gasket" and that you "don't want to be stranded somewhere". Valve cover gaskets don't typically "blow", they weep a bit of oil when they fail. Dirty, but not something that will strand you somewhere. Are you sure the valve cover gasket is your problem?

Guest texasyamahamama

Well that's what it looks like to me. The little half moon part of that gasket is blown outward so I assumed that was the problem. I wish I could post a picture. I may get a friend with a good digital camera to take a couple for me just to be sure.

Jackie

If you are going to remove all the plastic on the bike I would look at having the valves checked as you have most of the work started with just replacing the gaskets.

You might as well change out both that way you know both are in good shape and if you have someone checking valve clearances they most likely will put the covers back on for you with the new gaskets.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

Push that half moon piece back in place and see if you can tighten the bolts that hold the valve cover on.

That piece shouldn't "blow out". There should be no pressure there. I'd push it back in and start the bike up. If it "blows out" you've got pressure building up where there shouldn't be any. Probably game over for a beginner wrench.

If you are going to remove all the plastic on the bike I would look at having the valves checked as you have most of the work started with just replacing the gaskets.

You might as well change out both that way you know both are in good shape and if you have someone checking valve clearances they most likely will put the covers back on for you with the new gaskets.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

Excellent advice. Getting the covers off and on is a major part of the job.

Last weekend I assisted SteveD and Buddy Rich install Valve Cover Gaskets and do a Valve adjustment to SteveD's 90'VR. We used the Valve Cover Gaskets for the 2nd Gens. and they are ugly as He!! but are MUCH easier to install. We didn't need any RTV and they sealed like a champ!. There is a large rubber "Rib" all the way around the perimeter of the gasket that makes it very rigid and easy to install. When you see the 2nd Gen. gasket you will instantly see what I am talking about. I will admit, this job is not for the "faint of heart". Lots of stuff has to come off the bike and you need to "manhandle" the Valve Covers to get them back on. This might be an excellent opportunity to "lure" a fellow VR.ORG member over for lunch and a gasket job.

Just a suggestion,

Earl

Last weekend I assisted SteveD and Buddy Rich install Valve Cover Gaskets and do a Valve adjustment to SteveD's 90'VR. We used the Valve Cover Gaskets for the 2nd Gens. and they are ugly as He!! but are MUCH easier to install. We didn't need any RTV and they sealed like a champ!. There is a large rubber "Rib" all the way around the perimeter of the gasket that makes it very rigid and easy to install. When you see the 2nd Gen. gasket you will instantly see what I am talking about. I will admit, this job is not for the "faint of heart". Lots of stuff has to come off the bike and you need to "manhandle" the Valve Covers to get them back on. This might be an excellent opportunity to "lure" a fellow VR.ORG member over for lunch and a gasket job.

Just a suggestion,

Earl

It always helps to have a 2nd pair of hands to pass the covers in and outta the space they give us in there. The 2nd gen gaskets make it so much easier.

I saw THE muffinman install these @ Skid IN---------on hdhtr VR ----it looked MUCH easier than the old style gaskets!!!!!-------am I missin something here???????

You ... miss something?? Nahhh, not you JR. Not you!!

• 1 month later...

Just a suggestion,

Earl

Hi, I have a question. So the 2nd gen gasket would fit the 1st gen bike?

Thats what Earl said.

We used the Valve Cover Gaskets for the 2nd Gens.

Yes they do, I have them on mine, very easy to install, no RTV needed. It helps to loosen the radiator so it will move slightly to assist getting the front cover back on too. Not that difficult to do, just takes a bit of time to get things outta the way.

Yes they do, I have them on mine, very easy to install, no RTV needed. It helps to loosen the radiator so it will move slightly to assist getting the front cover back on too. Not that difficult to do, just takes a bit of time to get things outta the way.

Great info.... I just picked up a set of 2ndGen gaskets off Ebay by mistake and was going to send them to Eck. Guess that's not going to happen.... :)

Hey Jack,

Believe me when I say that you are gonna' love these 2nd Gen. Valve cover gaskets compared to the First gen. Gaskets! No glue, No goop, just clean the Valve Cover groove well and stick them on! There is the "rib" that goes around the outside of the gasket that looks a little funky but once you put your side covers back on you will never see it and you will chuckle to yourself everytime you do see it because they were SO EASY to install.

Good score on the Ebay gaskets!:thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Jack,

Believe me when I say that you are gonna' love these 2nd Gen. Valve cover gaskets compared to the First gen. Gaskets! No glue, No goop, just clean the Valve Cover groove well and stick them on! There is the "rib" that goes around the outside of the gasket that looks a little funky but once you put your side covers back on you will never see it and you will chuckle to yourself everytime you do see it because they were SO EASY to install.

Good score on the Ebay gaskets!:thumbsup2:

Earl

Well there goes the price of 2ndGen gaskets on Ebay....:whistling: I do have a set of regular gaskets that I'll install in the spare '91 motor. A lot easier when the motor's not in the scoot.. :)