IGNORED

Deer hunting....

RandyR

I've decided to start deer hunting again after a 3 year layoff during which time I lost my lease rights to private land nearby. But I'm right on the edge of several large tracts of Federal and Georgia state public lands. Some open and some which require checkin/signin (wildlife management areas).

Georgia offers a free hunting/fishing license to those over 65, and for those like myself in the over-60 group a $90 lifetime license which includes eveything hunting/fishing except Federal bird stamps. So I bought the over-60 lifetime license yesterday, and ordered a Barnett crossbow via the internet to use. I think my right arm is too weak to hold a bow for any length of time since I broke the arm & shoulder 3 years ago.

Bow season starts Sept 12th, muzzle loader Oct-10, and firearms on Oct 16 - Jan 1.

I'm thinking I want to buy a TC Contender .22rf pistol to squirrel hunt prior to deer hunting from the Suzuki trail bike I have , so I can get some early scouting in.

Are crossbows legal to hunt with in GA? I know my Father hunts with one in FL, but he had to get a special permit due to having reconstructive shoulder surgery. Didn't know if GA was the same.
Cross bows are legal in Ga. It used to be that to hunt with a crossbow in Ga you had to have a Dr's affadavit to get a lifetime permit from the DNR to hunt with crossbow. Several years ago they changed the law making the crossbow a legal primative weapon for everyone.

I've decided to start deer hunting again after a 3 year layoff during which time I lost my lease rights to private land nearby. But I'm right on the edge of several large tracts of Federal and Georgia state public lands. Some open and some which require checkin/signin (wildlife management areas).

Georgia offers a free hunting/fishing license to those over 65, and for those like myself in the over-60 group a $90 lifetime license which includes eveything hunting/fishing except Federal bird stamps. So I bought the over-60 lifetime license yesterday, and ordered a Barnett crossbow via the internet to use. I think my right arm is too weak to hold a bow for any length of time since I broke the arm & shoulder 3 years ago.

Bow season starts Sept 12th, muzzle loader Oct-10, and firearms on Oct 16 - Jan 1.

I'm thinking I want to buy a TC Contender .22rf pistol to squirrel hunt prior to deer hunting from the Suzuki trail bike I have , so I can get some early scouting in.

I'll be hunting again this year after not hunting very much over the past few years, If you are looking for a hunting companion. When I did hunt since loosing my lease over the past 6 or 7 years I sometimes would deer/bear/hog hunt on Swallow Creek WMA on Tray Mt. Just N. of Helen. But as you said a lot of the federal land up there is open for the full state season for all game within the state restrictions.

After this weekend I was planning to check into rules for bear hunting around Vogel. Many of the state parks have limited hunting within the park. If such was the case at Vogel I would love to hunt the Bear(s) that stole my cooler.

Wife and I have lived in the same house for 22 years and this is the first year ever that we had so many bucks around. We have 2 that are staying right behind the house and 2 others behind the nieghbors. We have a few ducks in our pond and we have always put cracked corn out for them. (tame ducks). But this year the deer almost always get the corn before the ducks too. So Im going thru alot of corn, my daughter has been taking our camera to school for her portfolio she's working on so usually when I get a chance for a good picture she has it. But I did get this picture the other day, this fella walked up to about 25 feet of me and actually waited for me to get him more corn, I went in the garage got more and came back and he just stood there looking at me as if he was wondering why I was slacking. I dont hunt anymore since I lost my dad and It was something we did alot together, so usually when I tryed it just got me depressed. But Im enjoying this summer greatly with these guys-This is the smaller of the 2 as his big brother is much more shy and I havnt got a good pic of him ...... yet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Hazenson/Copyof100_3454.jpg

Hope all you guys have great hunting and bag as many as you're allowed. Down here we don't need huntin licenses ... seems all you gotta do is drive down the road at any given time and you'll bag a hood ornament or two. We don't call 'em deer anymore, we call'em insurance claims!!

So hunt ... please!!

They just opened up hunting with a Crossbow in Texas this year without restrictions. I hunt with a compound, but might consider getting one for next year.

Here's the compound crossbow I ordered. A Barnett Wildcat C5.

http://www.northwoodsoutlet.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3912

http://www.northwoodsoutlet.com/oscommerce/catalog/images/wildcat%20large2.jpg

I also bought the cocker attachment so I wouldn't have to pull back the 150lb bow string. This is the least expensive of this series of Barnetts, and also the smallest and lightest weight one.

Bob. Sure. we could hunt together. I'm going to start exploring the various WMA's and federal lands nearby. problem with the WMA's is that they require checkin. But that probably is goodness in that it reduces the number of hunters vs open forest svc land.

I probably wouldn't hunt Bear. I think Vogel is closed to hunting... but..

BEAR HAIR GAP TRAIL

4.1-Mile Partial Loop. Average Travel Time: 4 Hours. Foot Travel Only.

Wildflowers abound in season and long-distance vistas can be seen after the leaves have fallen. The trail leaves the park and travels onto the
Chattahoochee National Forest
which is open to hunting.
It is advisable to wear bright colored clothing or safety orange vests during hunting season.

I also have a modern muzzle loader as well as an older .45cal kentucky rifle. & a couple modern centerfire hunting rifles. Its time to get them sighted in.

Here's the compound crossbow I ordered. A Barnett Wildcat C5.

http://www.northwoodsoutlet.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3912

http://www.northwoodsoutlet.com/oscommerce/catalog/images/wildcat%20large2.jpg

I also bought the cocker attachment so I wouldn't have to pull back the 150lb bow string. This is the least expensive of this series of Barnetts, and also the smallest and lightest weight one.

Bob. Sure. we could hunt together. I'm going to start exploring the various WMA's and federal lands nearby. problem with the WMA's is that they require checkin. But that probably is goodness in that it reduces the number of hunters vs open forest svc land.

I probably wouldn't hunt Bear. I think Vogel is closed to hunting... but..

BEAR HAIR GAP TRAIL

4.1-Mile Partial Loop. Average Travel Time: 4 Hours. Foot Travel Only.

Wildflowers abound in season and long-distance vistas can be seen after the leaves have fallen. The trail leaves the park and travels onto the
Chattahoochee National Forest
which is open to hunting.
It is advisable to wear bright colored clothing or safety orange vests during hunting season.

I also have a modern muzzle loader as well as an older .45cal kentucky rifle. & a couple modern centerfire hunting rifles. Its time to get them sighted in.

Keep a good eye on the limbs of the barnett. I hunt with a friend who has had 3 limbs crack in the last 2 years. The didn't break on him as he found tthem during inspection of the weapon.Barnett fixed them wright away.

David

Ps.. good luck out there and be safe. Wish we could hunt with a crossbow. I'm the last in my group to not get one but I can still pull and hold a 40 lbd bow so I am leagal.

David

I just started my annual warm up for the hunting season.

I shoot an 80lb Mathews compound bow.

Starting the first of Aug I go out to practice 3 times per day, rain or shine so that I will be ready when the deer walk up.

Now that the kids are all grown up and moved out, I only need to put 4 deer in the freezer to last me through the year.

There was one year where I had trained the deer to hunt me. That was a fun year.

Ahhh.... just 31 more days till bow season opens.

Wife and I have lived in the same house for 22 years and this is the first year ever that we had so many bucks around. We have 2 that are staying right behind the house and 2 others behind the nieghbors. We have a few ducks in our pond and we have always put cracked corn out for them. (tame ducks). But this year the deer almost always get the corn before the ducks too. So Im going thru alot of corn, my daughter has been taking our camera to school for her portfolio she's working on so usually when I get a chance for a good picture she has it. But I did get this picture the other day, this fella walked up to about 25 feet of me and actually waited for me to get him more corn, I went in the garage got more and came back and he just stood there looking at me as if he was wondering why I was slacking. I dont hunt anymore since I lost my dad and It was something we did alot together, so usually when I tryed it just got me depressed. But Im enjoying this summer greatly with these guys-This is the smaller of the 2 as his big brother is much more shy and I havnt got a good pic of him ...... yet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Hazenson/Copyof100_3454.jpg

Looks a little underweight :stirthepot: Needs more corn before the trip to the freezer...:whistling::whistling::whistling:

As you can see from my user name, Hunting whitetails is my passion. Yes my user name is spelled diff. that's because the correct spelling is used on every forum I belong to. So i picked this version and have stuck with it. Anyways I have hunted with a Compound bow, rifle and black powder rifle. I enjoy bowhunting the most. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If I don't know. I can find an answer for you.

:080402gudl_prv:

Good luck and happy hunting.

Keep a good eye on the limbs of the barnett. I hunt with a friend who has had 3 limbs crack in the last 2 years. The didn't break on him as he found tthem during inspection of the weapon.Barnett fixed them wright away.

David

Thanks for the warning. I'll keep a close eye on the limbs.

I also have a Bear compound bow, but think my rt arm would qualify for a waver even if Georgia didn't allow everyone to use them (as of a couple years ago).

• 2 weeks later...

hey Bob... Dragonslayer,

Its time to practice. I should be ready to site in at 40 yards in a couple days. Maybe Thursday or Friday. There's an archery range in a WMA just east of Ellijay. Could practice there then go to Pooles for some BBQ.

The Rich Mountain WMA has an archery only section which might be worth checking out while we're there.

http://www.n-georgia.com/pdf/rich-mountain-wma.pdf

A guy near Port Angeles, Wa. said on 80 M last night, his neighbor's dog was barking, late at night. They went out to investigate, and found a Freshly killed Deer in the garden in back yard, blood still warm. A Rural area, of course.

Seem's a Couger, had stopped by the garden for lunch !!

If anybody is interested, Couger hunting season starts today in Washington state, but you can no longer use dogs for the hunt.

Edited by GeorgeS

I just saw the other day where Ohio is legalizing crossbows for dear hunting this year. I used to do some bow hunting with a compound but lived in Texas where crossbows were illegal for hunting at the time. I haven't hunted in years though.

It has been legal to use a crossbow in Ohio for deer hunting for several years now.