IGNORED

VentureRider Newsletter

Freebird

I am on the fence - don't care if we do, don't care if we don't. Being a nerd I guess helps me, I know how and where to look for info if and when I need to. ;-)

I think this site/forum is well organized and it is easy to use, a newsletter would just be extra icing on an already perfect pastry.

:confused24:

What brings us together, what happens when you need to come to the site and read the posts to find out what's happening, we become acquainted with each other and become the family that we are. With a news letter I'm afraid that we may loose some of that aspect, a lot of us may just go with the report in the letter and not visit here anymore. I know, it would also keep others more informed, but the intimacy would be lost. With 3500 members there is a good side in that who ever chose to receive such a letter would be a little more in the loop, but if we start to loose our regular posters, we would loose camaraderie.

I guess my fear is that since I've found something special here, I really don't want to mess with it and then end up losing what we all seem to really enjoy. Once a news letter is in place it will be hard to turn back the clock and go back to the way it was, so, if it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

Sure seems like we have a whole lot of ambivalent folks on this subject. 110 members read the thread and only 12 responses. Not quite a quorum..

Mr. Owl, 110 people viewed the post does not mean 110 different members read the post.

This is my second time looking at it, and I am sure I was counted twice.

No wonder you have a hard time counting :sign20:

Brad

Good points my friend. It is my belief though, and I may be wrong, that it could actually BOOST participation here. You see, the newsletter would just have a "preview" of the articles and/or forum threads. If the subscriber wishes to know more, they will have to visit the forum. It would hopefully be enough to pique the interest of those who haven't visited recently or don't visit on a daily basis.

What got me started thinking about this was that after our Fort Collins Rally and also after some of the others, I received PMs from a few members saying that they wished they had visited the forum more often because they would have liked to have attended but missed the posts about those rallies. This would really be a way of better keeping in touch with those who don't get on here as often as they would like.

These are just my thoughts and I am certainly not always right.

Mr. Owl, 110 people viewed the post does not mean 110 different members read the post.

This is my second time looking at it, and I am sure I was counted twice.

No wonder you have a hard time counting :sign20:

Brad

Well my friend, actually it was well over 200 times the thread had been viewed. And you are right, each time you visit the thread the number of times viewed is increase.

However, at the bottom of the thread are the names of the members who have read the thread. The only get listed once, no matter how many times they view the thread.

And yes, I physically counted each name before I made the post.... :rasberry:

:thumbsup2: I think this is a great idea too. And for all the reasons already given too. Myself I'm online here through out the day and evening so don't miss much going on here. But still it would be nice to have a refresher of topics posted. I also like the idea of being able to do print outs to hand to other interested persons about this great site. Or send a link to someone as needed.

Larry

Good points my friend. It is my belief though, and I may be wrong, that it could actually BOOST participation here. You see, the newsletter would just have a "preview" of the articles and/or forum threads. If the subscriber wishes to know more, they will have to visit the forum. It would hopefully be enough to pique the interest of those who haven't visited recently or don't visit on a daily basis.

What got me started thinking about this was that after our Fort Collins Rally and also after some of the others, I received PMs from a few members saying that they wished they had visited the forum more often because they would have liked to have attended but missed the posts about those rallies. This would really be a way of better keeping in touch with those who don't get on here as often as they would like.

These are just my thoughts and I am certainly not always right.

I would think it would be possible to flag certain content in the forums and the even calendar to be included in the news letter then all you would have to do is generate the news letter by pushing a button and the flagged posts and calendar would be put into the news letter. Automation is the only way to do this.

What brings us together, what happens when you need to come to the site and read the posts to find out what's happening, we become acquainted with each other and become the family that we are. With a news letter I'm afraid that we may loose some of that aspect, a lot of us may just go with the report in the letter and not visit here anymore. I know, it would also keep others more informed, but the intimacy would be lost. With 3500 members there is a good side in that who ever chose to receive such a letter would be a little more in the loop, but if we start to loose our regular posters, we would loose camaraderie.

I guess my fear is that since I've found something special here, I really don't want to mess with it and then end up losing what we all seem to really enjoy. Once a news letter is in place it will be hard to turn back the clock and go back to the way it was, so, if it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

Interesting comments. I like the idea of a ‘News Letter’ or ‘Fact Sheet’ but not at the expense of our current social structure. At the rate our membership is growing perhaps there’s room for a monthly notice, it may serve as a good summary. What about a 12-month test run followed by a review and we could reassess at that time.

I would sign up also, even though I read pretty much everyday. BBUUTTTT, it would also make a quick visual reference for repair/diagnoses posts that you could print and place in a notebook for the workshop. Then, you wouldn't have to get online, get hooked into reading all the new posts (who me?) and then search for your answer. More time working on the bike, less time online = more time riding!

Just my opinion

Dan

Just to answer some of the questions. I think the newsletter will be in .html format so links will be active. Because you will be receiving it via email, you will be able to forward it to whomever you wish and will be able to print it to hand out as you please. You will be free to print, copy, reproduce it as you see fit. More to come later.

Had some thoughts that I wanted to pass on. Its rare I have them so thought I better strike while the iron is hot :rotf:

• I think it should show # of members, # new since last letter, most on at one time, etc...Web stats.
  • New Tech Articles
  • New Vendors
  • Full list upcoming rallies
  • Rally reports since last letter
  • New Vendors
  • Links to preferred Vendors
  • Pictures of random bikes

Ok..........Just ran out of thoughts..:confused24:

sheesh Don....you sure are a glutton for punishment!!

I like the idea.....and would probably sign up....but I'm one of those who come here everyday......a few times a day...............so I don't miss much.

But for those who can't come here each day, it would be a great source.

Had some thoughts that I wanted to pass on. Its rare I have them so thought I better strike while the iron is hot :rotf:

• I think it should show # of members, # new since last letter, most on at one time, etc...Web stats.
  • New Tech Articles
  • New Vendors
  • Full list upcoming rallies
  • Rally reports since last letter
  • New Vendors
  • Links to preferred Vendors
  • Pictures of random bikes

Ok..........Just ran out of thoughts..:confused24:

This seems to be a duplication of what is already on this site.Anytime I run into a Venture Rider,I give them the website address and they can check it out at their leisure..Seems to me like alot of extra work...

Having said that,Don if you decide to go for it,I will volunteer my wife Shari to do some of the typing.....:whistling::whistling:

Looks like I'll be in the minority, but it seems like an awful lot of work to disseminate information that is already here.

I joined about a year ago when I bought my RSV and didn't feel like I had a hard time navigating the site, or that I had missed out on any information.

I like the way the site is laid out, the fact that there is a good amount of banter, as well as all of the technical information that is here.

In short, I enjoy the site and the interactive nature of the participation, and I probably wouldn't take the time to read a newsletter like I do going through the posts.

Todd

For what it's worth...

This is a Forum, and as such, already covers all the ways in which a significant quantity of information can be easily and reasonably disseminated to an ever-increasing number of people. It also provides, via threads and PMs, various means of communication which can be utilized by its members.

A Newsletter will likely prove to be an extraordinary amount of work that will only provide a nominal amount of information at any one time, information already available on the Forum. At its' very best, then, it will merely prove to be limited in scope and redundant in nature.

Those of us who visit frequently do so because what we find here is valuable to us. The responsibility (and desire) to stay informed is mine: if I miss a ride or an event, that's on me, and no one else!

This is simple: if you don't visit the Forum at regular intervals, you will surely miss out on something. If you don't want to miss out on something, visit the Forum at regular intervals...

Terry