IGNORED

Can a Brother get a hand?

Hey Guys and gals, I'm back with some 1st Gen. questions. I am wanting to change the oil and filter on my brothers (BearForce1) 88 Venture Royale. What if any differences is there between a first gen and a second gen.? Same tools, filter, fairing removal? If there is a link, that would be great (I couldn't find one). I have done a 2nd gen a few times in the past. Next question, he gets a horrible "wobble" when he takes his hands off the handlebars. Is there a link for tightening the head bolt or replacing the bearings? Any info on these two items would be great!:thumbsup2:

The steering head bearings are pretty strait forward. Loosen the center retaining nut on the top of the triple tree and take a small punch to the bearing retainers underneath. Tap it lightly until snug and check for resistance. I will put this disclaimer in, this is a temporary repair as if they have loosened you will probably need to take them all apart and clean and repack the steering head bearings. That would be a MAJOR job and a huge pain in the rear.

The oil filter is behind the chin spoiler which will need to be removed to access the front of the motor for the cover removal. It's not a spin on, but a cover that encases the filter. Not a hard job, just a bit more time consuming.

Thanks, any special tools required for the "case" that houses the oil filter? Also, anything to be aware of using a floorlift on 1st gens? :scratchchin:

A wrench for the oil filter bolt & another one for the drain plug. Why use a lift for the oil change, just use the centre stand.......

There SHOULD be a thin flat washer (5) between the spring and the outer rubber grommet on the filter... this keeps the spring from tearing up the grommet, easy to drop, easy to lose.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/oil-filter.jpg

The filter housing o ring isn't so hard, if you put some grease in the grove for the o ring it will stay in place during install.

This 2nd gen is the first scoot I've ever owned that has a spin-on filter. All other bikes were of the canister type with a rubber O-ring. I've always only used grease to get them to stay in place. Coat the O-ring with it first before seating it into the groove. I would not recommend silicone because you then have the issue of cleaning that off the next time you change the filter and that can be a PITA. Back in the day when I pulled wrenches for a living and Chevvy engines used a canister oil filter (among numerous other vehicles), we did it exactly the same way....grease the O-ring first.

Now, don't do like I did with a spin-on filter. First time I changed mine on this scoot, it was so tight I couldn't budge it even with a filter wrench so I drilled a large hole thru it and used a prybar. Later, when I was emptying the drain bucket, I found all these "metal filings" and freaked coz I'd forgotten about the drilling and thought they came out of the engine!! :rotf: :rotf:

While on the subject of changing the 1st gen oil filtre, I have not changed mine yet. Is there a good place to get them for a reasonable price and what would the part number be?

I buy my m/c oil filters at good ol' Canadian Tire. About $7.75 I think. They stock the Fram ones which come with the O rings. Its Fram #6002 if memory serves, but I don't know what the Can Tire catalogue number is. They are out on open shelves at my local CTC but some smaller stores keep them behind the scenes at the parts counter I've found.

I buy Can Tires house brand 4 cycle motorcycle oil too. It ticks me a bit 'cause they package it in 943ml (=1 US pint) jugs instead of a full litre. If I go next door to WalMart, theirs comes in full litres. Always seemed odd to me that the Canadian company would go metric in name only where as the American chain would embrace it fully. Go figure!?

Hope this helps.

Brian H.

Thanks for the pn. I had to get the first filtre for my Virago from the dealer for almost $18 cuz non of the other outlets listed one for motorcycles. Been using Rotella-T from Walmart, seems to be a decent oil for a reasonable price.

Not sure if it was this site or the Venturers, but you can take a long thin screwdriver, and after removing the cruise control panel, you can tighten the head bearings without doing anything else by just tapping on the washer you can see. My '86 wobbled bad, but I tightened the bearings just a notch or two and it went away totally!

I (and many others) put in 3.5 quarts with a filter change. That will put the oil 1/2 way up the site glass after you run the motor and fill the filter. If you put all 4 quarts in, some oil will come out of the breather and fill up the bottom of your airbox.

Frank

I (and many others) put in 3.5 quarts with a filter change. That will put the oil 1/2 way up the site glass after you run the motor and fill the filter. If you put all 4 quarts in, some oil will come out of the breather and fill up the bottom of your airbox.

Frank

Good to know, Goose had mentioned this to me also.:banana::banana::banana: