IGNORED

The dreaded 'Chirp'

Well, I finally got to admit my new to me 2005 RSV has it. I test rode it, heard it at lower speeds but not at highway cruising speeds so I purchased it. I must say here I used a full face helmet for the test ride, and the subsequent 4 hour ride home after with no headset listen to music or CB. I did notice it on the way home, but had a tail wind almost all the way.

The other day it was quite hot, and I used my other 3/4 helmet for a 2 hour ride (no headset). The wind picked up quartering from my left front. I couldn't wait to get off that bike! What an irritating chirp at about 110 km (65mph). But what I did find was that by shifting body position, turning my head, or leaning my body to one side I could change the intensity of the chirp dramatically. I know if I was blessed with longer arms, I could lean well back and get away from it all together. So it seems to me a combination of motor load, wind speed direction etc etc. Has anyone else experienced this? This is NOT about a whine, but a chirp sound. It seems to be worst when both ears get it simultaneously.

I don't know what to do about it. It is tolerable with full face and tunes, and I wore the 3/4 size helmet (no headsets) with foam ear plugs recently and it was OK also. I could hear it, but it was quite soft. I am not sure what to do about it. My local Yamaha dealer has not had much experience with either the RSTD or RSV, and I am not sure complaining would not fall on deaf ears. Has anyone had luck changing oil types or weight ie 10w30 or 20w50, dino vs synthetic etc?

Thanks.

Well, I finally got to admit my new to me 2005 RSV has it. I test rode it, heard it at lower speeds but not at highway cruising speeds so I purchased it. I must say here I used a full face helmet for the test ride, and the subsequent 4 hour ride home after with no headset listen to music or CB. I did notice it on the way home, but had a tail wind almost all the way.

The other day it was quite hot, and I used my other 3/4 helmet for a 2 hour ride (no headset). The wind picked up quartering from my left front. I couldn't wait to get off that bike! What an irritating chirp at about 110 km (65mph). But what I did find was that by shifting body position, turning my head, or leaning my body to one side I could change the intensity of the chirp dramatically. I know if I was blessed with longer arms, I could lean well back and get away from it all together. So it seems to me a combination of motor load, wind speed direction etc etc. Has anyone else experienced this? This is NOT about a whine, but a chirp sound. It seems to be worst when both ears get it simultaneously.

I don't know what to do about it. It is tolerable with full face and tunes, and I wore the 3/4 size helmet (no headsets) with foam ear plugs recently and it was OK also. I could hear it, but it was quite soft. I am not sure what to do about it. My local Yamaha dealer has not had much experience with either the RSTD or RSV, and I am not sure complaining would not fall on deaf ears. Has anyone had luck changing oil types or weight ie 10w30 or 20w50, dino vs synthetic etc?

Thanks.

Mine was almost non-existent when new, got pretty loud at about 4k miles, I switched to Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40 Synthetic for motorcycles. That seem to quiet it right down.. Since, it seems to get a little louder just before oil changes, then quiets back down after the change.

Hi BJ

I have a 2005 also with the chirp and would have to say most of the RSV's have some of this noise. I switched to 20-50 Yahamalube semi syn. and it has cut the chirp by 1/2 anyway.

Turn up the tunes and run some bub pipes and all is well. Also over 65 on mine with it in 4th gear is real smooth and quiet.

Enjoy the ride and congrats on your new bike.

If they haven't tried a I clutch basket on it it might help.

Steve

I have installed the RK mufflers, but they aren't quite loud enough to drown out the 'chirp' :Laugh: They are gonna have to do for this year as the bank account is starting to complain and I have a couple of trips to make yet. Thanks for the replies guys.

I had the I Basket changed on mine yesterday along with the rear shock. Mine was really starting to get annoying. It sounded like a box of crickets. It changed the pitch of the chirp and the speed range to an acceptable level for now, let's hope it doesn't get worse. Mine has been noisy since the day I got it new. The chirp would also change in different riding conditions such as 2 up, heat (the hotter the day the louder the chirp), half helmet vs 3/4 helmet. You shouldn't have to crank up the radio to drown out the noise. I've always used 15-50 Mobil 1. Had I know about it before I bought it I probably wouldn't have bought it. I know all bikes have their own problems but this one can really get on your nerves. This bike has spent an awful lot of time at the dealer for this and other issues. I know it has 5 year warranty but that doesn't excuse it. If yours still has a warranty take it in and insist that they address it. Good luck.

I know mine has it too ... funny thing tho, I've found when I'm wearing my skull cap the chirp/whine isn't quite as annoying ... except when I'm driving within the city and am constantly going thru the gears... out on the hwy at around 100 km/h and up...don't really notice it that much.

this is something that I learned to live with when I had my '85 coz it had a similar whine. I guess that makes it easier for me to get used to it ... but it does get annoying sometimes. It is weird tho...it does change pitch under different conditions. I can be going along within the city...up and down thru the gears and the chirp/whine is very clear and annoying. Stop somewhere for coffee or whatever...get back on the scoot, fire it up and crank away and...sheesh...where'd that whine go?

My plan is to ride it this way thru this summer...then take it in for the I-basket change (if it's still bothersome). I just tonight changed the oil to 20w50 so it will be interesting to see what effect (if any) that has tomorrow.

At first, I thought there is a Bird stuck underneathe the engine. :big-grin-emoticon:

Not sure that this 'chirp' is all about. I always use a FF, so I probably don't notice it at all. I've also always used 10W40 Valvoline Moto Oil that I put in last March and it seems to work well with my bike.

Ride Safe.

Yup, mine has it bad at 35, 45, 55, 65 and 75. I always wear a full face and putting my hand up to the chin bar, covering the opening, cuts the sound way back. I've been thinking about getting a chin curtain and seeing if that helps any. Don't know how that will affect venting in the summer though.

My 03 never had it except a very slight whine at speed. It is not loud enough to notice. But I've heard of switching to the "I" basket that may make a difference on some bikes. When I parted out my 1st Gen 86, I kept the "almost brand new" clutch basket but I never got to sell it. That bike was totally quiet at speed. Just for curiosity's sake, does anyone know if they are interchangeable with the 2nd Gen? If it does, this could be a really cheap alternative for the bikes that are out of warranty. I have no idea what that goes for brand new. Brian

I have no chirp in my 2000 RSV. I bought it used a few years ago, so I don't know if the previous owner did something to "fix" it, or if it never had it. A friend of mine has an '02 and his doesn't do it either. Is it possible that this something that the earlier 2nd gens don't have? Also, BJ, when you put the RK mufflers on, did you drill out the baffles? It's easy to do, and makes the HD mufflers sound pretty good on the RSV. It makes them sound significantly deeper, but not obnoxious. I recently put a set of BUBS on, and am still in the process of deciding which ones to keep. Good luck with your "chirp." Don from Harrisburg, PA

Mine was almost non-existent when new, got pretty loud at about 4k miles, I switched to Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40 Synthetic for motorcycles. That seem to quiet it right down.. Since, it seems to get a little louder just before oil changes, then quiets back down after the change.

Using that specific oil has pretty much killed off the slight chirp I had with my Venture.

Added the Baron's 4-2-4's for icing on the cake!

Boomer........who believes the only chirp a rider should hear is when he runs over a parakeet.

Please let me know how the oil change affects the chirp. I will need an oil change real soon and I would like to know if I should change oil weights.

Well, two full days of riding and 20w50 oil makes no difference in the chirp/whine as far as I can see.

I know mine has it too ... funny thing tho, I've found when I'm wearing my skull cap the chirp/whine isn't quite as annoying ... except when I'm driving within the city and am constantly going thru the gears... out on the hwy at around 100 km/h and up...don't really notice it that much.

this is something that I learned to live with when I had my '85 coz it had a similar whine. I guess that makes it easier for me to get used to it ... but it does get annoying sometimes. It is weird tho...it does change pitch under different conditions. I can be going along within the city...up and down thru the gears and the chirp/whine is very clear and annoying. Stop somewhere for coffee or whatever...get back on the scoot, fire it up and crank away and...sheesh...where'd that whine go?

My plan is to ride it this way thru this summer...then take it in for the I-basket change (if it's still bothersome). I just tonight changed the oil to 20w50 so it will be interesting to see what effect (if any) that has tomorrow.

I went from 10W40 to 20W50 and it did not quiet down any yet.

I only have 100 miles on the change, so will see what happends after a few hundred.

:bobby:

Just talked to my local Yamaha dealer (who by the way is an implement dealer and just recently got the Yamaha also) about this today. He was not even sure if there was a 5 year warrenty. He listened to me, and then called Yamaha. Later, he returned my call and Yamaha says 'yes this is a 5 year warrenty' but we usually cover the 'I' basket change for the original owner. Of course I said BS...a 5 year warrenty is 5 years, no matter who the owner is. Basically if the local guy tells Yamaha this bike makes excessive noise, then I guess they will replace it with the 'I' basket. However, that is it. If I don't like it, then too bad...they will not switch back to old one. Kinda tough to decide. What if it actually gets worse?

I took it for another spin today with a 3/4 helmet and ear plugs. Great ride! I should try the headsets and foam plugs. If I can still hear the tunes/CB then maybe that it the way to go and just forget the 'chrip'.

I bought a 2005 RSTD with 2600 miles on it on the 16th of May. Because the bike was a repo there is no maint record. I don't even know if the P.O. even did the 600 mile check. I have the whine/chirp like many others. It's more noticeable when I wear my half helmet. The bike goes in on Saturday for an oil/filter change and a quick once over by a mechanic that I trust. I'm going to try Lucas oil synthetic and see what happens. Results on Monay the 8th of June. Despite the noise I love the bike and don't miss my Honda 750 Shadow at all!

:cool10:

Yea this last oil change I tried synthetic and it is actually louder, Craig

See my post about another oil change and the effect on the whine, etc...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=344631#post344631

BJB ... regarding the I-basket change... according to a dealer here, and what I've heard elsewhere, they will change out the basket once only and yes, if you're not happy with that, tough!

Try the Rotella T oil and see if that helps. BTW, I ride with a "beanie" aka skull cap helmet in the hot weather so all sounds are greater ... While the Rotella does not totally clear up the whine, it does seem much better (at least to me).

hope this is of some help to ya.

At my last service (approx. 9,500 miles), I had three things done to my bike that made it seem like a new machine: I got the "I" basket installed (at no expense to me), had leveling links put on and had it retreaded with Michelins.

It handles better, rides better, and doesn't chirp at all right now. I'm loving life. :cool10:

Get the "I" basket. It will not make it worse.

Had the chirp since day 1. Not as bad as it was when I went to Rotella oil, but is still there. Maybe the "I" basket is next.

All this is magnified in your ears if you use a headset with the intercom on. I gotta invest in some mic-mutes.:confused24:

Yamaha will change out to the I basket one time. If you do not like it, They Will reinstall your old one. When I had mine replaced, the regional service manager told the service manager to order 2 gaskets in case I wanted my old one put back in. I had the whine from 2000 to 3000 RPM. And it would drive you crazy it was so loud. Now it comes on between 2300 and 2500 RPM with half the noise...