IGNORED

New to Venture (and site)

ablumny

Happy to have found the site. Here's my story:

I have ridden VStars for years. I am looking to trade up from my 00 1100 Vstar to a Venture.

I have my eyes on an 03 Midnight Venture locally. 4600 miles, asking ~$10K. Questions I hope to figure out:

- That appears to be a good price, yes?

- Ride height adjustable? Major increase from my Vstar!

- Are there any bizarre factory design issues to be aware of?

- for example, the 1100 Vstar needed the exhaust and floor boards removed to do a simple oil change unless you bought an aftermarket kit. Anything weird about these bikes like that?

- Anything I should look for on thie used bike, issues unique to this bike?

- I cant seem to locate a site for standard specs for this year/model. Anywhere?

Thanks in advance. I;m an active participant on the Vstar forums, I hope to move up to the Venture and get busy here!

I have ridden VStars for years. I am looking to trade up from my 00 1100 Vstar to a Venture.

I have my eyes on an 03 Midnight Venture locally. 4600 miles, asking ~$10K. Questions I hope to figure out:

- That appears to be a good price, yes? Maybe if its loaded.

- Ride height adjustable? Major increase from my Vstar! Can be lowered, check the tech section on that.

- Are there any bizarre factory design issues to be aware of? Not really.

- for example, the 1100 Vstar needed the exhaust and floor boards removed to do a simple oil change unless you bought an aftermarket kit. Anything weird about these bikes like that?

- Anything I should look for on thie used bike, issues unique to this bike? she is a heavy beast that requires some adjustment to slow speed handling.

Get it out for a spin, the biggest issue is the clutch scream some have and can be cured by a differant basket or at least moved to a differant rpm range.

- I cant seem to locate a site for standard specs for this year/model. Anywhere?

Have a look here in the history, it gives all kinds of specs.

Thanks in advance. I;m an active participant on the Vstar forums, I hope to move up to the Venture and get busy here!

I['ve places some notes in darker writing.

This is an awesome site and you'll find pretty much anything you need here along with some great friends. I have the '07 Midnight and love it. You won't be sorry you made the move.

Check the tech library and other forums. You could spend days reading all the information.

Welcome.

Thanks for the replies.

"Loaded" means what? A CD changer, a set of Bub Slips on, the intercom system but I dont see anything else that didn't come from the factory. With just 4600 miles on it, I thought it was a good deal. Should I reconsider?

I rode it. Big diff from the Vstar. I tossed it around a bit on a test ride, not too concerend but, ya its a beast. Feel liek Im going from a low sporty position to a truck seat postition.

Clutch scream? That must be what I heard. Couldn't ID it.

Im off to the tech sections..

Big thing now is the price!

- That appears to be a good price, yes?

- Ride height adjustable? Major increase from my Vstar!

- Are there any bizarre factory design issues to be aware of?

- Anything I should look for on thie used bike, issues unique to this bike?

no way you can go wrong. you just hit on the best site on the net with a close knit commeraderie. even if you don'r get a venture your one of the group. welcome aboard. bill :2133:

For the price. Take a quick look at your local Yamaha Dealer or Ebay and see if there are any new 08's left and what they are going for.

That should help make up your mind.

Good luck. I just bought a new 07 Midnight last summer and love it. The site is equally as good as riding, so enjoy.

Big thing now is the price!

You're in New York..right?

I'm in Canada

I paid $12,900 CDN last Nov for my stock 2006 Midnight that had only 1300 kilometers on it.

I dunno... an 03 in the US for $10k ??? perhaps but I'd think it should be a little less maybe, unless it had a bunch of extras installed such as passing lamps, luggage rack, etc, etc.

An '03 for 10K is a bit of a push, but the mileage is low and if it's in mint condition with some chrome extras, it might not be too far out of the park. As mentioned lots of info in the tech library, and these are fantastic machines....welcome to the site

:)

Thanks everyone. KBB says $10.7K retail from a dealer I believe and they assume normal miles. This one has the passing lamps, a set of Bub Slip ons (not installed but included) and a CD changer. Theres an o3 Midnight on eBay in Florida with 6500 miles on it for $9995, another blue one in Indiana with 4200 miles at $9800. (these people ride or what!) I think Im doing allright. New Royal Star Tour Deluxe's are listed on eBay f0r $10k ish.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. I'll be on the site often.

Thanks everyone. KBB says $10.7K retail from a dealer I believe and they assume normal miles. This one has the passing lamps, a set of Bub Slip ons (not installed but included) and a CD changer. Theres an o3 Midnight on eBay in Florida with 6500 miles on it for $9995, another blue one in Indiana with 4200 miles at $9800. (these people ride or what!) I think Im doing allright. New Royal Star Tour Deluxe's are listed on eBay f0r $10k ish.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. I'll be on the site often.

You could check Searchtempest.com, Helper for craigs list.

Also cycletrader.com---

An 03 with only 6500 miles, I consider very low miles. I only put on 5000 last year from july 5 ( bike was in the shop) I may be wrong, but I would have to guess that most on this site put on between 5 and 10,000 a year.

Welcome to the site.. If you find a bike to far from home to look at it yourself, just post and someone from here usually will check it out for you.

DITTO ON THE WELCOME!! :happy34:FROM OVER HERE IN AUSSIE LAND:australia:

never ride faster than your guardian angel:2133:canfly

Annie, you got that sidecar on the wrong side!!!:stickpoke:

But seriously, what's that strange spring arrangement and brake repositioning on the front wheel??:puzzled: :think:

I don't know if $10 g's is a good price or not. Late last summer I bought a 2007, stock w/13,000 miles. It had intercom, Zumo 550 w/xm radio and a Radar detector. I thought I got a fair deal at $11,500.

Malvern, Long Island?

Im thinking I'm just paying the right price, not a killer deal but also not a bad one. THe attractive part of this one is the low miles. Most of the available Ventures in the eastern half of the country are $8-$10k with much higher miles. For a local, low miles, mint Midnight version ( I was specifically looking for a Midnight Venture), one serviced by Yamaha with records, I'm thinking I'm in good shape.....at least I will tell myself that !

Thanks for the reply.

Malvern, Long Island?

Im thinking I'm just paying the right price, not a killer deal but also not a bad one. THe attractive part of this one is the low miles. Most of the available Ventures in the eastern half of the country are $8-$10k with much higher miles. For a local, low miles, mint Midnight version ( I was specifically looking for a Midnight Venture), one serviced by Yamaha with records, I'm thinking I'm in good shape.....at least I will tell myself that !

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is...if the price you pay is a price you're happy with, then it's the right price.

:thumbsup2:

Your paying to much but hey if you've got the money and your happy then go for it. You'll find out that most people don't bother with the CD changer. It cost 3 times what it's worth and when you have it you can't get rid of it. It takes up to much room in the saddle bag so people just put it in a drawer and forget about it. Most people use an IPOD or MP3 player to listen to there music. You can listen to 24 hrs of commercial free music that you like. As far as the pipes go if you like the sound of a load V4 then you'll be happy if you don't then you will have the stock pipes to put back on. Anyway welcome to the site I think you will be pleasantly surprised how helpful and friendly everyone is here.

Harry:thumbsup2: