IGNORED

GAS mileage question

Hola,

I ride a 2008 RSTD it has between 11 and 12k on it. The only thing I have done is replace the stock air filters with K&N's. I hit reserve at about 140. I figured my gas milage on 135 leaving a bit of fudge room incase I need a gas station. I figured I am getting 32.5 mpg. I am doing a 4K roung trip this summer and trying to figure costs. I ride 80 miles a day round trip to work and 98% of the ride is highway miles.

Anyone getting better mileage and if so what have you done to increase it of have you done anything?

Thanks In advance

SJ

Hello SJ,

I have 2005 Venture, and mine is pretty much stock. You can go searching on this sight for pluging the AIG and doing the jason mod. I have JUST done the jason mode and not changed the type of air filters or anything else to the bike, and I am getting 40 MPG on my bike, even if I get on it a bit. I have noticed that I can actually get 43-45 Mpg if I can actually keep it down around 55 MPH.....Come on...who can actually keep their bike down to 55 MPH anyways.....LOL

Bill

Hola,

I ride a 2008 RSTD it has between 11 and 12k on it. The only thing I have done is replace the stock air filters with K&N's. I hit reserve at about 140. I figured my gas milage on 135 leaving a bit of fudge room incase I need a gas station. I figured I am getting 32.5 mpg. I am doing a 4K roung trip this summer and trying to figure costs. I ride 80 miles a day round trip to work and 98% of the ride is highway miles.

Anyone getting better mileage and if so what have you done to increase it of have you done anything?

Thanks In advance

SJ

Hola,

Thanks In advance

SJ

Yes, I have a 1997 RSTD and I got the same. Everybody keeps telling me that should give me more, but may be 34 mpg as the most, if I ride on highway all the tank.

Carb and no AIS is the big difference with the RSV.

Still looking for the solution.

Regards,

calperin

Hola,

Thanks In advance

SJ

I have the same experience. The difference between you and me is that I figure 120 miles on a tank of gas.

Good luck.

Dave

I have a 99RSV and I have added the rk mufflers and synch'd the carbs but still get only 35mpg but...I can't seem to keep my hands off the gas. Like to juice it ocassionally and this affects the mileage I am sure. I can go to 175 before the engine cuts out and I need to go to reserve. My last tanks was 35 mpg based on 175miles and I filled exactly 5gal. The bike runs fine but I can only get over 35mpg if I ride freeway only and I was once getting 39 when I took long freeway rides.

Of course I have 40 lights/stop sighs between my house and work with only 8 mils of 21 being freeway. Job is moving to that freeway next year and then I just have to drive the 8 miles to work . Wooo Hooo.

I am going to Kerrville then end of next month and will not have hardly any lights or stop signs and want to check mileage then.

Have a great week all.

:smile11:

I have a new 08 RSTD ( bought this month). I rode it back to Georgia from Florida where I bought it with 0 miles on it.

The first 2 tanks of gas riding around the Orlando area, got terrible mileage. But riding it up the highway (2 lane with very few stop signs/lights) straight and narrow and flat at 55 to 60 mph speed limits, using cruise control set for 5mph over speed limit, I got 44 miles per gallon on the last 2 tank fulls.

This week there have been a couple of notes posted that the speedo (and I presume odometer) read about 10-15% high. So that would equate to about 10-15% less than the 44mpg I thought I was getting under what I would call best case for a near-new engine. I would think gas mileage would improve slightly after a few thousand miles are on the bike.

I realize my 1998 RSTC has a smaller HP engine, but I consistantly get 160 miles on 4 gallons of gas. I admit that on one road trip when I ran about 40 miles following a cage at 90, my mileage dropped to 33mpg. so for the most part I just watch my trip meter and beginning at 150 miles I consider looking for a "station". So far I have not needed to use the reserve.

I average around 40 to 43 in mixed riding, if i use my cruise control on long trips i can get almose 50 ridinf two up. The bike is an 07 with no modifications.

Joe

What speed are you riding at to get 50mpg on a 2nd gen?:confused24:

The best i get with 2 up going 60 mph is 40mpg. anything above 60 mph, mileage varies between 32 and 36 mpg.

I ride an 07 RSTD with about 15K on it. Everything stock except K&N filters. I get about 41 city one up. I have gotten up to 53 mpg on the flat roads of Florida driving about 58 steady on back roads. On the interstate driving around 78 mph I get around 38 mpg. I recently cut down my windshield due to visibility. I want to see if it helps with my MPG highway also.

I have done NOTHING to my bike, mechanically. I have 22k miles....original plugs, air filter, fuel filter. Have not yet synced carbs. I change oil and filter regularly and do not ride aggressively.

I am getting 42-45mpg riding 60 miles round trip a day to work at 60mph.

32mpg, to me, seems very bad.

completely stock engine and exhaust,, 07 RSV, little over 12,000 mile, I get 35 to 37mpg on the freeway doing 65 to 75. If I slow down to 55mph, I get about 45mpg..

That's my experience as well. Once you go over 55 the MPGs really drop. Since I only ride it for enjoyment, I rarely ride over 55-60.

I also own a 2008 RSTD and have only ridden it a total of ~200 miles. I have gotten about 45 miles to the gallon. Soon after buying the bike I had the powersports shop adjust the idle and carbs. Gets mfg. suggested mileage per gallon.

and I love that throttle - 60 mile round trip daily on back roads - I hit it pretty hard. Riding 2-up normally around 45mpg (she doesn't so much like the throttle). It is stock except the bub's. We have gotten up to 49 2-up on back roads.

I usually hit reserve around 175 miles and put in 4 gallons.

Just got a new 2008 RSTD S Model in Dec. 400 miles on it now. Went for a 160 mile ride Sunday 40-55mph roads on the way out & 70-75mph xway on the way back.

The only mods are a pair of HD Road King Exhaust with the stage 2 mod.

Got 160 miles on the main tank with some to go. Filled her up to the same level as when I started, it took 3.842 gal.

So looks like 41.64 mpg:big-grin-emoticon:

Ron...

Edited by RonL

Hola,

Thanks In advance

SJ

I got 38 MPG to start at new. I then added Roadhouse pipes,done the AIS plug and also did K&N filters then had carbs cinked for $20.00 at local dealer (I watched and carbs where out quite a bit, made big differance, really smoothed out) . After that got 44 MPG regulary at speeds from around 55 mile an hour to some interstate at 70-75 mile an hour, one up and some times loaded heavy, rugular low octane gas always.

If our speedometers are off by 10% which is what those who've checked them say, then we're not getting as good gas mileage as we think. So 40 mpg measured by the odometer is really only 36 mpg. :(