IGNORED

First 600 miles... My thoughts...

similost

Just keep in mind. Yamaha did the R & D for the Venture probably between 1995 and 1998. So Yamaha probably thought they were doing a pretty good job considering the times. So basically if you buy a 2009 model you are really buying a new 1999 Venture. Nothing has changed on the Venture. Where all the other manufacturers have been updating their models at least every few years Yamaha has been snoozing in their big easy chair with their IPOD's turned up and their eyes shut.

It would be nice if Yamaha would listen to it's customers. Does anyone speak Japanese? :confused24:

Glad someone understands what I'm trying to get at... I think you said everything I was trying to sum up... 10 years ago, I'm sure this was a FANTASTIC bike.. but they really need to get with the times and litsen to their customers... I've been saying this for the last 6 years....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's virtually impossible to design and build a bike to fit the ergos of every rider. They design it to fit the "average". Unfortunately few riders are "average". The good news is with some time and effort and probably less than $1000 you can alter the bike to suit you perfectly. As Yamaha states in their ads. "We build it, you make it your own".-Jack

Glad someone understands what I'm trying to get at... I think you said everything I was trying to sum up... 10 years ago, I'm sure this was a FANTASTIC bike.. but they really need to get with the times and litsen to their customers... I've been saying this for the last 6 years....

I think many of us agree with that sentiment. But it's like insulting my mother. I can say all kinds of bad things about her but when someone else does, watch out! One of the reasons we (Mrs Halfwitt and I) picked the RSV was the price. We like the Goldwing. But we don't like it $10k more! If Yamaha would have been putting in the R&D and upgrades that everyone wanted over the years, we would be paying $25k for our bikes too. So instead, we get a deal at $15k (or whatever the showroom price is now days) and we cand spend about $2k to get the upgrades we want and we save $8k!

It's a deal!

This post caught my eye and particularly the part about the gearing. Of all the comments I have ever heard about the 2nd gen, I have never heard about it being geared too low in 5th gear at any speed. What you needed to do was go from a 1st gen to a 2nd gen. Our 1st gens were designed when highway speeds were 55mph and we know low geared. In fact, like a couple of others, I would like to go to the 2nd gen gearset with a VMax rear end in my 1st gen. That would be a bit lower than what you have, but a lot better than what we 1st genners have.

Even though you will see some ribbing about these bikes, mostly 1st gen/2nd gen stuff, some people can get a little sensitive if they feel their bike is being bashed.

As far as ergonomics, I ride a 1st gen with a cut down Corbin. That is what has worked best for me as I can hardly straddle a watermellon and touch the ground.

RandyA

......I really don't hear people with other brands having as much distaste for their seats.

Dude......you need to spend some time reading Gold Wing forums and talking to GW riders. Check out all the stock and aftermarket seats for GW's on ebay as well...... There is an absolutely HUGE market for aftermarket GW seats....Travelcade, Hartco/Diamond, Russell, and about a dozen more. I personally have had 3 different seats on my 1500 in one riding season trying to find something comfortable.

I have a friend with a Kaw Vulcan....hates his seat, trying to find something better. Another friend with a VTX 1300...put an Ultimate seat on it.

It's NOT just Yamaha. They all put the cheap-o seat on in order to save bucks and make a nice aftermarket available. My two cents....

Joe

Dude......you need to spend some time reading Gold Wing forums and talking to GW riders. Check out all the stock and aftermarket seats for GW's on ebay as well...... There is an absolutely HUGE market for aftermarket GW seats....Travelcade, Hartco/Diamond, Russell, and about a dozen more. I personally have had 3 different seats on my 1500 in one riding season trying to find something comfortable.

I have a friend with a Kaw Vulcan....hates his seat, trying to find something better. Another friend with a VTX 1300...put an Ultimate seat on it.

It's NOT just Yamaha. They all put the cheap-o seat on in order to save bucks and make a nice aftermarket available. My two cents....

Joe

That's relly interesting, because most the people I know with other brands really like their stock seats... I don't know.. maybe it's jsut that I talk bikes more with star riders.. but I do know lots of people that ride..

well here comes my 2 cents. i had a roadstar warrior and rode a road star at star days. no comparison with a venture when it comes to comfort and luxury. the seats i will agree on. it's all in the butt of the beholder. of all the 70 something bikes i have ever owned, the only factory seats that i found to be comfortable is my v-star 1300 and my 08 wing. all the rest sucked. that is according to feed back from my butt. everyone's butt is different. as far as the rpm goes, get used to it. the engine is designed to run at that rpm and i can almost garrantee the venture will go twice as many miles in it's life span as the aircooled, long stroke, v-twin in the roadstar. the two bikes aren't even in the same league. they are both great bikes and do what they are designed for. the roadstar is a cruiser and the venture is one of the top three touring bikes made. the more you ride it the more you will like it. of course it ain't no wing, lol. (just a joke guys). no reason to hit the rev limiter so early. get a dyna 3000 lots of power up there around 7500 rpm. every bike i have ever owned i put alot of money in to personalize it and make it fit me. thats part of what it's all about. at a little over 500 mile you haven't even been introduced to your bike. also get rid of that 150 front truck tire and go with a 130 avon. that will cure your gravel problems and help with the low speed handling. just my opinion and a few suggestions. give it a chance. sounds like the first ride you were supposed to enjoy, turned out to be a hate this bike from the git go ride. it's a great bike with the normal flaws of all bikes made. they just can't make one to fit everyone from the factory. it's up to you to make it your ride. bill :2133:

That's relly interesting, because most the people I know with other brands really like their stock seats... I don't know.. maybe it's jsut that I talk bikes more with star riders.. but I do know lots of people that ride..

Do they REALLY RIDE... or do they "bar hop" ... I'd bet there's a lot of riders out there that don't talk about how uncomfortable their scoot is...they just put up with it and say nothing. After all, they're "BIKERS" ... tougher 'n nails yanno...:D

I've put many miles on both my 1st gens with the stock seat .... yeah, after 10 hours in the saddle, my butt would get a bit stiff and sore....but not enuf to go out and buy a different seat, nor enuf to say anything about it. Haven't been that long of a ride on the '06 yet but 5 hours of riding gives me a pretty good idea that I'll be feeling a bit numb and sore after a 10 hour day...but not enuf to...well, y'all know the rest of the sentence.

As for them handlebars, I got the Baron's risers on order coz my butt can take a lot more punishment than my neck and shoulder can :eek:

I can deal with a sore or numb butt.. but this is way over the edge.. like my tail bone is bruised.. It's really painful to sit today, and if I lean up against something and my tailbone touches.. OWWWWWW!!!!

Like I said.. I'll be redoing my seat.. and I just found a very common source for some dense foam that I think will work out really nice...

If I can get this stuff and I get started on my seat, I'll be sure to document what I'm doing incase others are interested... I've seen the Butler mod, and also another person that has used some denser foam.. I'll kind of be combining the two..

Nope.. I've hit the rev limiter 5 or 6 times now.. I do ride it like I stole it.. I used to ride a Madura GV-1200. It's was also a V4, and LOVED that bike.. It was very comfortable right off the floor.. I am somewhat used to keeping the revs high while riding the mountain twists and turns. It's just on the highway I wish it wasn't wound so tight at 65 or so...

To the person mentioning gravel, I did end up riding about 5 miles of dirt and gravel roads over the weekend. It wasn't too bad so long as it was compacted good, but if you hit some deeper uncompacted rock.. HOLD ON.. but it still did pretty good, which did surprise me. I felt pretty stable on it in the dirt.

I have an 85 Madura since new, I agree they are great bikes, but you really cant compare to the RSV, seat and bars are a personal thing, I did 750 miles in that pillow top one day and could have kept on riding no problem. Havent had any trouble with the bars either?? and I think mine is lugging at 65 in 5th but I never rode a Roadliner so I cant compare. A few tweaks and I think you will love that bike. Good Luck, Craig

I have an 85 Madura since new, I agree they are great bikes, but you really cant compare to the RSV, seat and bars are a personal thing, I did 750 miles in that pillow top one day and could have kept on riding no problem. Havent had any trouble with the bars either?? and I think mine is lugging at 65 in 5th but I never rode a Roadliner so I cant compare. A few tweaks and I think you will love that bike. Good Luck, Craig

I'm thinking once I get it tweaked I'll love it... just gonna take a while I guess...

I had the 85 Madura too.. I was looking for one last year, and if I ever stumble on one that is in decent shape and a good deal I'll probably end up buying it... A super fun bike for sure... and it was a perfect fit and comfort for me..

I'm thinking once I get it tweaked I'll love it... just gonna take a while I guess...

I had the 85 Madura too.. I was looking for one last year, and if I ever stumble on one that is in decent shape and a good deal I'll probably end up buying it... A super fun bike for sure... and it was a perfect fit and comfort for me..

They come up for sale pretty often on the Madura board, my wife wouldnt ride more than an hour on the back of the Maddie, she will ride all day on the RSV, Rick Butler can fix that seat problem quicker than you can find the foam LOL my wife had the tail bone issue on our 1st gen, Rick fixed it and had it back to us in less than a week. She never had that problem again, luckily the 06 seat was fine for her from the getgo. I had him lower mine and narrow the neck and its great. You'll get it all worked out. Craig

Add me to the surpised about the RPM gripe list. I hardly ever even get into 5th gear on this bike. It's just chugging at 70 MPH. I will admit I avoid interstates when I can, but when I do get on the big road, this thing just hums along at 80 in OD. You must be riding in 3rd or 4th.

I have a friend (believe it or not) and we went riding. He was on a Honda 750 Shadow. At every red light he would stand up and stretch his legs (I thought). After a while I couldn't stand it anymore and I asked him why he would stand up at every light. He said his butt hurt. I told him I had a stock seat and I was fine since we were just riding about 50 miles and I thought his seat looked fine. When we got to our lunch spot I went over and touched his seat. No padding at all! If you pushed down on the leather seat your finger went all the way the the seat frame. I thought it was a defect. A few weeks later we were at a Honda showroom and there was a Honda 750 Shadow brand new. I went up to the seat and pushed the leather seat cover down and it did the same thing. They don't put any padding in there 750's seat!

Now to the nuts and bolts. I don't know how you ride but I have been having a problem with my but starting to hurt after about 80 miles. Well I have to get this under control July 15th another friend (yes I have two friends) and I are going on a 11,000 mile trip in just 30 days so we are going to be averaging about 400 mile a day so I need to find an answer. I was slouching kinda sitting low and my butt kept hurting. I finally sat upright and move as far back in the seat as possible ( I have a Utopia backrest) and my but didn't hurt anymore. I just tried it out of desperation but I figured it would not work but it did. I thought I would put more pressure on my butt but I didn't.

So to make this long story short try moving around and try different sitting positions. Wew...:smile11:

I found the foam I was looking for today. So, I'll probably stgart tearing he seat down this evening after I get a few things done... It's a really decent firm foam.. It's actually a coalman sleepingbag mat. I'll just glue as many layers together as I need then sculpt it similar to the profile of my corbin.

It didn't matter if I sat straight up, or slouched.. my tailbone just had too much pressure on it..

I can deal with a sore or numb butt.. but this is way over the edge.. like my tail bone is bruised.. It's really painful to sit today, and if I lean up against something and my tailbone touches.. OWWWWWW!!!!

Like I said.. I'll be redoing my seat.. and I just found a very common source for some dense foam that I think will work out really nice...

If I can get this stuff and I get started on my seat, I'll be sure to document what I'm doing incase others are interested... I've seen the Butler mod, and also another person that has used some denser foam.. I'll kind of be combining the two..

Dang, you must have a board for a seat, to me I love the pillow top seats. The corbin type and the older midnight venture seats (05 and less) way to hard.

I did install the Flanders bar, now I don't feel like I am stretched out over the tank.

I have a 31 inch inseam and can flat foot the bike, so will not lower.

My butt cannot take the seat either similost. In my riding I found the 1st gen seat to be the best stock seat...specially the 83 model.

On my 89 I used a sheep skin and it worked great.

I have the non pillow top on my 05 midnight and get a very sore tail bone after a day in the saddle. I found the sheepskin didnt fix it. The cheapest thing I bought was a beaded car seat cover from walmart for 8 bucks. I just put the whole thing on. It cools the rear end....and took that pressure point away from the tail bone.

I tried the pillow top for a 100 miles or so and found it still hurt. Maybe its my fat butt that doesnt help....

I have a corbin coming and cant wait to try that.

The problem with the tailbone hurting is associated to an individual's spine, how it curves and/or flexes, etc and whether or not they have back problems in that area I think. My ex-wife suffered similarly and I don't think any scoot I had when we were together was totally comfortable for her to the point that her tailbone wouldn't hurt. The '85 VR I had at the time was probably the best for her but even after a long day of riding she'd be hurting. Some have this problem, others don't but if it's anything like the pain I get in my neck, I sympathize with ya. Even with the adjustable bars on the 1st gen, I couldn't totally get away from it...but I did find it had a lot to do with my posture as well. Having said that tho, I will admit I have vertabrae problems in my neck since I was barely 20 and have seen more chiropractors than carter has little liver pills (wonder how may of ya have heard that expression...it's older than dirt! LOL)

Nope.. I've hit the rev limiter 5 or 6 times now.. I do ride it like I stole it.. I used to ride a Madura GV-1200. It's was also a V4, and LOVED that bike.. It was very comfortable right off the floor.. I am somewhat used to keeping the revs high while riding the mountain twists and turns. It's just on the highway I wish it wasn't wound so tight at 65 or so...

To the person mentioning gravel, I did end up riding about 5 miles of dirt and gravel roads over the weekend. It wasn't too bad so long as it was compacted good, but if you hit some deeper uncompacted rock.. HOLD ON.. but it still did pretty good, which did surprise me. I felt pretty stable on it in the dirt.

Hi there,

I can understand some of the things you mentioned. I know all about these seats being a pain in the a**. I have a '99 that had even worse seats. I bought the newer style pillow top seats and I am still thinking about having Rick Butler modify my seat.

Next, RPM's. These V4 engines are Vmax variants and love high RPM's. Fifth gear is a true overdrive and over 65-70 it works very well. From 50-65 I tend to stay in fourth which does run higher RPMs at those speeds but offer me more power. These engines like RPM's. There is no problem and they are built to deal with it. A few have swapped out the rear end gears for the VMax gears. There is a company that does this for you. But this will increase your RPM's and move your power band. Others have swapped out their ignition module for the dyna3000. This will move your rev limiter to a higher RPM. When it comes time to replace your clutch friction plates most of us use the Vmax kit with a stronger spring and a full size 1st disk.

Low speed handling, I do not understand this issue that many people have. I've never had a problem with low speeds on the RSV. And after watching Ride Like A Pro I can do even more wicked low speed manuevers. Maybe it has to do with my size. I don't know.

Get a backrest for yourself and highway pegs. If your stretching to reach the bars there are risers available. CruiserCustomizing.com has them. Barons is the maker.

No one on this board has anything on me when is comes to riding on/in gravel. A few years back the streets all around my house were being repaved. I road on gravel loose and soft everyday for 3 months. One morning I went out and found they had just layed down a 12" deep layer of fresh gravel to be compacted into a road bed. They were nice enough to ramp the gravel up to the end of my drive way, but when I hit it with the RSV the rear end sunk down to the axel. I just applied the power and kept her moving. The entire construction crew came to a complete stop and just watched. Some shook their heads, others were just stunned. I drove half a block this way until I hit pavement. This bike just goes.

I think you will find it is easy to make this bike fit you and your needs. Look around the forum here. A few members make a little side income by making and selling custom parts such as leveling links, seat modifications, motorcycle lift adapter/stand and more. We like to support each other.

:beer:

Interesting.......I read your post and wondered about whether we were talking about the same bike.:confused24: Then I read all the rest...... Sorry guy, but you must be very strangely shaped?:hihi::hihi:

Now don't get offended....but you are quite a bit taller than I yet you say the seat is too high....Hmmmm don't know what to say..... :confused24:Then the handlebars are a far reach....Hmmmm, cant say as I ever noticed any such thing.... :confused24:Your tailbone hurts?:moon: .... Just did over 4000 mile trip on the same seat.....Best I ever sat on, true after about 9 hours in the saddle it doesn't feel as nice as the first half hour - but neither does my couch if I sit that long. :smile5:

It realy sounds like you are sitting strange on that thing...Didn't you sit on it before buying??:icon_smile_question

The extra gear request though....really baffles me !!!! 5th is almost lugging at 55, has incredible acceleration at 95!!...What would I do with another gear??? My copilot starts getting nervous after 110, 115 , and you know how noisy that can get...:yikes:

Sounds like you are totally misusing that V4.... It isn't supposed to be driven like a Twin !!!!

The only thing I can agree with you on is the slow handling...But I lowered the front and it went from a water-buffalo to gazelle, albeit a hefty one.

And as to your assertion to the price...:duck:Well, I don't know what fine car YOU can buy for just over 14000 with tax but I can't think of any... Or did you go and overpay too.....:yikes::mo money:

Low speed handling, I do not understand this issue that many people have. I've never had a problem with low speeds on the RSV. And after watching Ride Like A Pro I can do even more wicked low speed manuevers. Maybe it has to do with my size. I don't know.

Maybe... but I'm just a "little guy" (155 lbs soakin wet) compared to pics of many I've seen on this site and I have no trouble with low speed handling either. I find this bike way easier to handle at low speeds (ie parking lots, etc) than either of my 1st gens and if memory serves me... better than my 83 wing.

Maybe... but I'm just a "little guy" (155 lbs soakin wet) compared to pics of many I've seen on this site and I have no trouble with low speed handling either. I find this bike way easier to handle at low speeds (ie parking lots, etc) than either of my 1st gens and if memory serves me... better than my 83 wing.

Dont' get me wrong.. I can handle this bike well, but compared to my Roadie, and the Madura I used to own, and a lot of other bikes I've ridden, it just isn't as forgiving at low speeds.. I'll be fixing all that though..

Dont' get me wrong.. I can handle this bike well, but compared to my Roadie, and the Madura I used to own, and a lot of other bikes I've ridden, it just isn't as forgiving at low speeds.. I'll be fixing all that though..

I'll agree it will handle differently than those bikes. But this is a much different bike. It is taller, longer and wider. Plus the center of gravity is higher. A little practice and getting used to how she handles will make all the difference.

I'm not so little. I'm 5' 9.5" and pushing 290lbs (of pure muscle, under the camouflage fat:whistling:)

After watching Ride Like A Pro I went out to a parking lot and started practicing. I can do figure 8's now! Woo Woo - Shriners here I come - NOT!