IGNORED

New to the forum and bike. Lot's of questions.

similost

I found this forum last night, and am very impressed by everything I've found here. Looks like a great place, and wonderful helpful people.

I just bought a new 2008 Venture yesterday, and hope to pick it up Tuesday after work.

I have a 2002 Roadstar and love the bike so much, we're keeping it too. I'm a member of The Roadstar Riders forum on Delphi too... I've done a lot of work on that bike, lots of mods, and parts galore to make is as good a performing and long haul bike as possible, but it just didn't give us the comfort we were looking for. Great around town and shorter haul bike though.

SO, that brings me to this bike, and forum.

I was hoping that some of you could post to this thread giving me some of the best bang for the buck mods and or parts I can start off with to make this bike even more pleasurable than I'm sure it's going to be.

Several things already in mind, but please add more ideas if you can...

I will be making a hitch and installing it first thing for our trailer. I also know a driver backrest is high on the list, along with arm rests for the wife, racks for the tops of the bags, and other such things..

What brand tires do most people like on this bike? I normally run Metz tires. Is AIS removal highly recommended? What other performance clues can you give me? I know fork oil change is up there.. Yamaha always seemed to go light on things like that... I'm not familiar with the rear suspension, but is there a spring that is recommended to be changed?

Any tips hints and clues are greatly appreciated and heeded...

HOWDY ALL! Hope you don't get tired of me!

You already have an idea of what needs to be done, the backrest is a must if your going to do long trips. I would also recommend highway pegs for more foot positions. Being it's a new bike and under warranty I wouldn't screw around with the AIS, if it's not broke dont worry about it. I think that the majority of the folks here will tell you to stay as far away from Metzlers as you can get, they have a bad reputation for separating on the Ventures. Avon Venoms and Michelin Commanders are my 2 favorites, many also like the Dunlops the E3's are a new design from them and folks are running them now.

The suspension oil is fine, just adjust the air pressure in the forks to your liking, but remember the max is only 7 psi so dont fill them with your compressor, use a hand pump. same with the rear shock. Welcome to the site and remember if you want to look for something specifically that you can go above to the search tab, type in your queery and it will bring up all threads pertaining to your search :happy34:

Thanks Squidley. Some great information, especially about the tires. Ineresting to hear that for some reason Metz tires don't hold up.

Not sude what tires come stock on it, but I'm imagining Bridgestone? If so, I'm not a real fan of their tires. Especially the way they tend to want to go where they want to go. Also not the fondest of Dunlop... I'll probably end up thinking about the Avon tires then. I've always liked those too.

I'm used to using the search button, and have some already. Lots of great info I've found here already, and some good places to buy some of the parts I'm already thinking about.

Highway pegs were already on my list too. I figured that's just a given, especially when you have long legs. We were looking at Goldwings, but I couldn't deal with the leg positon, and my knees were touching the dash. Biggest part of the reason we went with the Venture is because of the legroom.

Welcome to the greatest Family on the web!!

There are alot of great mods that can be added,done to these bikes.... lots of Safety Chrome that can be added.. I know you will have fun!! as far as the tires go, there are alot of posts here about tires.. Most will say to stay away from the Metz. on these bikes, many have had them through chunks of rubber off, maybe because of the weight of these bikes.. they are not recomended.. most here run Avon Venom, Dunlop EIII`s, or michelins.. any ways read on and get ready for an overload of info.. again, welcome to the Family, these folks on here are some of the greatest people you will ever meet. I look forward to meeting you down the road.

Take care and many miles of Smiles!!

Kreg

:Venture:

I will be making a hitch and installing it first thing for our trailer. I also know a driver backrest is high on the list, along with arm rests for the wife, racks for the tops of the bags, and other such things..

There are a couple of different hitches, I have the Venturedad hitch...very easy to install. Takes about 15 mins. http://www.venturedad.com/

I have the Utopia backrest and like it alot.

What brand tires do most people like on this bike? I normally run Metz tires. Is AIS removal highly recommended? What other performance clues can you give me? I know fork oil change is up there.. Yamaha always seemed to go light on things like that... I'm not familiar with the rear suspension, but is there a spring that is recommended to be changed?

Most DO NOT use Metz here. The folks seem split on Avons and Dunlop Elite 3s, I use the latter.

AIS most people just plug, especially under the warranty is out. There are articles here on how to do that.

On the rear shock, many seem to fail under warranty, mine hasn't (20K), but under warranty, I'm inclined to let Yamaha take care of it.

Any tips hints and clues are greatly appreciated and heeded...

HOWDY ALL! Hope you don't get tired of me!

Hi Kbay, and thanks for the welcome.

Thanks again for the Metz info. I'll be far from them... I ike keeping the shiney side up..

A big part of the reason I joind here this morning is because it reminds me of the RSR forum, and an audio forum I am a member on.. Good people are the first thing I look at when deciding to join a forum. Looks like I made the perfect choice! :smile5:

Just wanted to say welcome to the group. Hang around a few days and you'll hang around a few years. These people not only know bikes, they know people and food. Be very careful, the Surgeon General has declared that this site might be addictive, but it's a very good addiction.

There are a couple of different hitches, I have the Venturedad hitch...very easy to install. Takes about 15 mins. http://www.venturedad.com/

I have the Utopia backrest and like it alot.

AIS most people just plug, especially under the warranty is out. There are articles here on how to do that.

On the rear shock, many seem to fail under warranty, mine hasn't (20K), but under warranty, I'm inclined to let Yamaha take care of it.

More cool info! Thanks much!

I hadn't seen the Utopia rest yet, I'll take a look at that one. I've looked at a couple, but the ones I've seen don't match the seats, and that's something I'd really like to happen.

I have seen the hitch you show, but since I've got lots of steel laying around and a welder, I'd rather make something myself. Just a nice sense of satisfaction in that. I'll probably also be making it a little different than the one you posted. I want a little more flexability with what I can do with it, like maybe allowing a little drop so I can make a rack for it when I don't want the trailer.

I'll keep the AIS plug in mind since it is under warranty, but even with my RoadStar, removing the AIS didn't cause me any warranty issues, especially since I had to take it in for the tranny recall they had, and the mechanic said it was nice not having to deal with the AIS when working on it.

I've kind of been gathering there was an issue with the shock. I've seen mention of it a few times, and my dealer told me about a couple they replaced. Is there an aftermarket replacement for the shock on this bike?

First off a big WELCOME to VentureRiders.org.

You may want to start with knowledge base under the maim menu on the left side of the screen called VPTECH

I made so many modes just like everyone else that it is hard to say what to do first.

So make a list and rate them what is most important to you and then GO FOR IT!

You will like it here, great people, great friends, and they would do anything to help a guy or gal out,.......just ask and see.:banana::banana::banana:

Bubber

Similost,

First, welcome to the family. You have found the most friendly and helpful group of riders around.

Second, you mentioned going with the Venture over the Wing due to legroom. I assume you are relatively tall. If so, this opens another easy mod that is the best I have done.

Leveling Links. The geometry of the Venture is such that low speed handling is somewhat cumbersome. It gets easier with practice, but it still handles like a top heavy cruiser at slow speeds (parking lot speeds, not slow in-town speeds). Diamond R makes a set of leveling links that slightly change the geometry of the bike and really make a difference in the slow speed handling (and no change in the highway or twisty handling). They are about $75 and easy to install - if you have a lift.

There are also instructions on the site for making your own. If you are more vertically challenged, many have gone to a thinner front tire for the same effects.

OK, on to your suggestions -

AIS - limited improvement (if any) that should not be done until out of warranty.

Backrest - essential if traveling any distances. The seating arrangement of the bike will entice you to lean back and relax. The backrest will allow you to do this.

Bag rails - trunk rack - yup. This will allow you to bungie a bag there. Saddlebag rails - cosmetic only.

Arm rests - wait until she gets a chance to ride it stock. Again, with the laid back seating she may not need or want the arm rests.

Tires - Avon Venoms, Michelin Commanders, Dunlop E3. Ignore the darksiders :stickpoke:.

Again, welcome to the family.

RR

Thank you RedRider. Great information about the leveling links. I'll see how I like the way it handles, and go from there concerning them. I'm used to riding my roadie at really slow speeds here in traffic, so I'll have to see if this is any more of a chore to handle or not.

Not vertically challanged at all. My wife tends to want to get off the bike and walk when I hit the mountians out in WV, because she doesn't like to drag her elbows on the ground in the corners. :95:

I know a backrest is a must. Got one on the other bike, and I just can't live without one.

The only thing I've really noticed is it would be nice if the risers would pull back a little more, and this is just from sitting on the bike. Thanks to the search, I see Barons risers or flanders bars are the answer.

Guest tx2sturgis

Dont forget to add some kind of addtitional rear lighting. The stock red candle on the back just doesnt tell the world that your there, or that you may be stopping. Its one of the poorest rear lights in modern motorcycling, because there is no optical reflector behind the bulb. Get one of these, or something similar:

http://www.customdynamics.com/Yamaha_tail_retro.htm

Next, you may want to enhance the front end lighting. There are many ways to to do this, but most members here have added auxiliary or passing lites, extra bright headlight bulbs, or a headlight modulator.

Any and all of the other mods are nice, but none of them matter at all, if you get hit on some dark roadway cuz you werent visible enough.

Another mod to look at is, cutting the windsheild down, if your looking thru it instead of over it. Now some will tell you to go buy a clearview, and they are nice, but in my opinion, you should be looking OVER the windshield, not thru it. Reason being of course, is nite time riding when its raining, becomes VERY dangerous if your looking THRU the windsheild.

In my opinion, you should tackle these safety concerns before you add things like backrests and footpegs.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I'm not a darkside kind of person.. car tires just aren't meant to be used with that much weight on the sides of them, but to each their own..

I forgot about the extra lights on the rear. Out here in VA and the DC area, people don't seem to see other cars, much less bikes. I put quite a few extra LED lights for stopping on the back of the roadie, so I'm gonna start shopping now for more for this bike. Air horns will be a must too.

I also like LED lights (black light) around the engine and ride with those on at night. Makes people take notice of you from the sides real easy, and the cops don't seem to mind them in this area. Never been stopped for it and passed many a cop at night...

All the tire options listed above are great tires. In fact, I have the Avon Venoms on my Roadie and they do great.

But DON'T ignore the Darksiders. :no-no-no: The 2 best things I ever did to my Venture was the backrest and the car tire on the rear.

I bought the Venture to ride 2 up and carry a few things on trips. And being a big guy I just didn't like the idea of wearing rear tires out so often and the (roughly) 900lb load rating. After some research I went to a car tire and it's the best change I have made to the bike. I'm running a Kumho PowerStar 758 in 165/80R15. Cost about $50, has a 1202lb load rating, same diameter as the cycle tire, should give between 2-3 times the mileage of a cycle tire and handles just like the cycle tire for me. Even seems to stick better even in the curves.

When my front tire wears out I'll be putting on a REAR cycle tire in reverse rotation. Rear tires are more reinforced with a heavier load rating and thicker tread(about 1/8"). Longer life and handling is no different.

Anyway, that's my opinion and there are a few others here doing the same. There is also a Delphi forum full of Darksiders.

:BLUE: :15_8_211[1]:

I am not if I missed someone else posting it or not but the Dyna 3000 ingition system is a must for performance upgrade along with K&N filters and a good set of pipes or slipons. I am using the slipons fro Krome Werks.

Keep a good check on th enuts that hold the driver's seat on you are bound to lose those before it is all over.

Folding foot pegs for the passenger from Diamond R, also the Diamod R leveling links are a nice addition.

LOL... OK.. I'll get pictures as soon as I pick it up from the dealer, but it's just a regular looking naked Venture S....

Interesting to hear a dyna will work on these. I've got the Revmaster on the roadie and really liked the difference it made. I'm sure I'll eventually be looking into one.. Yeah.. I like my bikes to be a little faster than stock..

Just so long as you dont try to race a 1st gen, especially the 83, they are the fastest of all the Ventures..............but you will find out on your own, I am sure...............:witch_brew:.

As some one once said......1st Gens Rule...!!!!!

LOL... OK.. I'll get pictures as soon as I pick it up from the dealer, but it's just a regular looking naked Venture S....

Interesting to hear a dyna will work on these. I've got the Revmaster on the roadie and really liked the difference it made. I'm sure I'll eventually be looking into one.. Yeah.. I like my bikes to be a little faster than stock..

Ya know...two pages of posts and not ONE mention of the Official Food of the VR site....Dairy Queen???? you all should be ashamed of yourselves....now go stand in the corner with your heads hung low.

Welcome to the site Similost........:smile5:

That is our mainstay meal when we travel................then the DQ.............always.......

Thanks Ruffy... LOL.. seriously? Dairy Queen? Or is that on the inside?

I'm more a BBQ kinda guy.. lots of porksteaks and ribs... and of course a little adult soda pop to wash it down ;)