IGNORED

removed cassette, added gauges......done

been working on this for a couple of weeks..........i added gauges where the cassette was...still kept the mp3 jack...........just did a test run....wadda ya think.......

that gage on the right aint square to the rest of the world ( LOL ):thumbsup2: but it sure looks good

OOPS i should have keep on lookin i see you have it fixed in the last pic

dang and i thought i had ya

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well, they're not marine gauges....just what you'd put in a car...advance ,autozone etc.........but how wet could they get being inside a plastic box inside a fairing, plus , i saw no exposed openings on the gauges, plus my bike doesn't get drenched.

step by step inst. will take a while......finding the time for me to do it

the biggest fabrication i had to do was ....three half circles had to be machined in the plastic lip in the opening......cutting the gauge bracket ( the black box ) in half lengthwise.......and then slightly curving the end of the box to match the curve of the dash........

someone mentioned a tach......actually, i looked at that and a two inch gauge will fit..with one more 11/2 inch gauge..but you would have to build a "box to hold it.....i thought about enlarging one hole one the end but that leads to other problems to fix

Very nice job.:thumbsup2: I'm guessing that one of the gauges is a oil pressure gauge. Just for curiosity sake what pressure does the engine run at idle and say 3,500 R.P.M.. I've read somewhere that these engines have hardly any oil pressure at idle and that putting a oil pressure gauge on it will drive you crazy thinking somethings wrong. But it is just the nature of the beast and to not let it bother you. Is there any truth to this?:confused24::D

....i ordered mine because i wanted electrical, not mechanical...and they cost double and only available in these colors and from this co. ..........

FYI...look in any street rod magazine and you'll find all kind of guages, both mechanical and electric in any style your heart desires. All depends on how much you want to spend.

I really like the Stewart Warner "Wings" style. They look like they came out of the '50s and have a convex lens. I've use them in my street rod projects.

http://www.classicinstruments.com/

http://www.stewartwarner.com/

http://www.stewartwarner.com/PastFeatures/wingkits.html

kite squid

yeh..you're right....the only way water would get in would be to run behind the black box ( faceplate)....but you'd have to be really forcing it in that direction. i don't feel water is a problem

someone asked about oil pressure.....on my first and only run...the pressure jumped to 60 psi upon starting the bike cold..it stayed at 60 even at idle....once the water temp ( man, it's nice being able to say that ! ) reached the 180 to 190 range the pressure would run about 5 to 8 psi at idle and go to about 50 at speed.....the volt meter ran about 13.8

there's been some discusssion here on that.........i think it boils down to : an ammeter is a better indicator because it actually shows if a discharge is occuring....but it is a lot harder to wire into a system......a volt meter is just a lot easier to wire and at least will show if your charging system is maintaining the correct voltage..

hi john

i'am kind of thinking of installing at least the volt meter and possible the ammeter. i think i would like to put a tach there in the cluster, instead of a water temp and oil pressure gauges. i like what you have done, gave me some new ideas.

thanks

don c.

if you do some searches...i believe kurykan (sp?) has a led voltage meter.....a 2 inch gauge and one other 11/2 inch gauge will fit in the opening but you'd probably have to build your own faceplate......those three 11/2 gauges just made it into the width of the opening using the supplied faceplate............

Folks ....

I'd definitely would mount a Tach as first Gauge !

Both Volt and Amp Meter might be a good Idea for other Gauges.

You could look up Koso or Acewell Instruments. They both have multiple Function Gauges in their Programs, with two of those you can easliy produce Information Overload. Those are digital Units but i had/have them for Years and i'm very satisfied.

http://www.koso.com.tw/

http://www.acewell-meter.com/

When I was at the Greenville, Sc bike show I spoke with a rep form KOSO Gauges, because they had a display of many different gauges at the show.

I asked him if they had a "VOLT Meter" and he said they are coming out with one to check their website.

So I just did and if you click on the document below you can read about it.

The gauge is: 46 millimeters in length which converts to 1.811 inches

The gauge is: 26 millimeters in height which converts to 1.023 inches

The gauge is: 12 millimeters in thickness which converts to 0.472 inches

I am not pushing their product, but they have many motorcycle gauges:

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/

az1103

thats grass........

Oops...sorry... Being from Calif. where the grass is always green...didn't recognize it for what it was:8:. One of the dangers of never-ending good weather, you loose contact with reality!:doh:

Thanks John,

When I rebuilt my 02 back in 06, I really wanted to try this. But at that time I wasn't sure what or how many guages would fit. In fact when I replaced the inner fairing I cut the cassette hole out to have as a test bed. My idea was to get a small tach in the middle with maybe water temp and oil pressure on each side. But I got busy doing other things (and riding) and put that project on the back burner. But now that you have shown that it's possible, I guess it's time to put it back on the front burner, right?

Well.... right after things slow down with the Butt Butler for a while. You guys are really keeping me busy, but that's not problem.

Thanks again,

Rick