IGNORED

Avon Junkie's First Impressions of Dunlop E3

V7Goose

Not a whole lot to report yet, but thought I'd start this thread so I can update it later. Yesterday I just mounted my first Dunlop E3 on QuickSilver. I only have a couple of hundred miles on it so far, but initial impressions are very positive. One thing I noticed MIGHT simply be the power of suggestion, but I'll report it anyway: When we put the first E3 on my brother's RSV out in El Paso a couple of weeks ago (he only got to ride about 65 miles on it before it blew out!), he was commenting to me on the radio how it rode quite a bit smoother than the Avon he took off. Since the tire had a catastrophic failure less than 5 miles later, I have been wondering if maybe that impression was coming from a tire that might have been losing pressure just before the failure, but I swear I notice the same thing with my new E3!

The E3 does have a slightly lower load rating than the Venom (77H vs, 80H) and a lower max sidewall pressure than the Venom (40 lbs vs. 50 lbs), so that may be the reason for the softer ride, but it still surprises me. I had about 45 lbs in the Venom, and since the E3 says right on the tire to keep it at 40 when riding loaded or two-up, that's what I have in it. I wouldn't expect just 5 lbs difference to make a big difference in the ride.

Handling seems to be at least as good as the Venoms, but it is really too early to tell. After all, I only have 200 miles on the tire, and I still have an old Brickstone front tire on the bike that I was using just to wear out the last rear tire before I mounted a new set. As I have noted in other discussion, raising the rear of the RSV changes the rake and trail enough to dramatically improve the handling of even that disgusting Brickstone front tire, so I will let if finish it's life before I put on the new E3 front tire and test the matched set.

Since I have gone through three Venom rear tires on this bike (and several other brands too), I have a good basis to compare relative longevity between the E3 and the Venom for the same bike, rider and conditions. Looking forward to being able to eventually report on how they compare! Ride safe,

Goose

Goose, on my 1st gen I am very happy with the new Elite 3 I put on about 600 miles ago. I had put the Elite 3 on the back last summer.

I also feel an improvement in smoothness and feel the bike is more neutral. I went from Avons and have had a big problem with tail end waggle above 70 to 80 mph, as have other 1st genners.

My suggestion is to bite the bullet as soon as you can and get an Elite 3 on the front. You will really enjoy the ride then.

If you posted about the Elite 3 failure, I missed it. What was the deal on that?

Thanks,

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

If you posted about the Elite 3 failure, I missed it. What was the deal on that?

Thanks,

RandyA

The new tire just split through the shoulder and across the tread. You can see a picture of it in post #24 here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33390&highlight=dunlop+failure

The road was clear and he was not aware of having hit any obstacle or debris before the blowout. Since this is the ONLY occurrence of a failure of an E3 so far (of which I know), I decided to go ahead and give them a try for myself.

Goose

I put E III's on front and back of my 87 VR, only put 25 miles on so far this year. Here in Minnesnowta don't get too many nice days this time of year. But I did notice a big difference, but both old tires had at least 10 K on them (Dunlap 491's). I also no longer have the front end shakes when you let go of the bars, it wasnt bad only happened under 40 when slowing down but now it doesnt happen at all. And no I dont make it a habit of letting go of the bars. Seems like a new bike, new tires, rear bearings, clutch and brakes cant wait for the next 60 degree day!!!!!!!!! Actually it is a new bike with only 700 miles -- opps I guess it has 100700 miles.......

I have had Avons on my 05 and am now trying the E3 on my 08.

Two up 95% of the time and loaded, cannot really tell any difference between the two.

What I am waiting to see is the actual mileage I will get on the E3, currently at 12,000 and tread still looking very good on the rear tire.

I have had Avons on my 05 and am now trying the E3 on my 08.

Two up 95% of the time and loaded, cannot really tell any difference between the two.

What I am waiting to see is the actual mileage I will get on the E3, currently at 12,000 and tread still looking very good on the rear tire.

This is the info I have been waiting to hear. I have new D404s on the bike now, but I intend to do my best to wear them out by July 4th. Then I will likely try the E3. Will hopefully get to wear them out too, but I doubt it. That's a lot of miles in a summer when we still have 4 kids at home. Would prefer not to come home to the locks being changed.

RR

Has anyone tried the DIII in a radial yet? My dealer said there are some to fit the RSV and doesnt know why they havent put a radial on one yet. I think the goldwings are on radials and I am not sure if the bigger harleys are or not. Just thought I would ask??

I put a E3 rear tire on my '07 RSV in August and have had NO problems with it. Great ride. Today I a E3 mounted on the front and immediately felt a very positive noticeable difference in the ride, handling, etc. The tire the E3 replaced was original equipment with 13,000 miles on it. E3 gets my vote everytime I am asked. Just my $.02.

:Venture:

• 1 month later...

OK, I now have 5,000 miles on the E3 I mounted on the rear, so I figured it is time for an update.

I am still very pleased with the handling - it seems on par with the Avon Venom. I will know more about this soon, as I am just now getting ready to mount the matched E3 front tire today. Up 'till now I have been wearing out a used stock Brickstone front tire that I mounted a few months ago while waiting to order new tires. I have been able to feel the handling of the bike diminish a bit as that old Brickstone wore down, so I am looking forward to seeing what a matched set of Dunlop E3s feels like. It should be very different than what I have had for the last 5,000 miles since the front E3 in stock size is much thinner and more rounded than those nasty Brickstones.

And a note on rear tire life - I have seen a number of very fantastic claims of phenomenal rear tire life with Dunlop E3s on the RSV - so fantastic I find them impossible to believe. Not that I think our members are not telling the truth, mind you, just that I cannot believe I could ever get over 20,000 miles on a rear tire on MY RSV. And at this point the indications are that I will probably get very similar rear mileage out of the E3 as I get from an Avon Venom (consistently about 14,000 miles on the rear). Here is why - I measure about 0.32" of max tread depth on a brand new rear E3. Now with exactly 5,000 miles on that tire, the tread depth measures 0.22" inches. Looks to me like 1/3 of the tread gone in 5,000 miles, so it will probably be ready to change right at 14,000 miles, just like my Avons.

So, with 5,000 miles on my first E3, would I buy them again? Absolutely. :thumbsup2: Right now they are considerably cheaper than the Avon Venoms, and they seem to be performing every bit as good. I'll keep you updated as the miles go by...

Ride safe,

Goose

I would assume that you do a lot higher percentage of High Speed running down there in Texas , Those Wide Open Space's !! you know. :hihi::hihi:

I would estimate that here where I live, 80 percent of miles I put on any tire, is only going to be an average of about 50 MPH. ( average speed that is )

I replaced my first rear E3 (87 VR) at 18,000 due to a puncture problem, but it was headed for probably 24k. 1/3 of my riding is 70-85 MPH on the Interstate, mostly riding solo. Now I have E3's at both ends and it's a nice handling machine! I did noticed it seemed a little twitchy with both tires at max pressure, which improved after lowering the front to 35psi.

Jeremy

Goose, on my 1st gen I am very happy with the new Elite 3 I put on about 600 miles ago. I had put the Elite 3 on the back last summer.

I also feel an improvement in smoothness and feel the bike is more neutral. I went from Avons and have had a big problem with tail end waggle above 70 to 80 mph, as have other 1st genners.

My suggestion is to bite the bullet as soon as you can and get an Elite 3 on the front. You will really enjoy the ride then.

Thanks,

RandyA

I've had no problem with the avons at any speed.

I went from Avons and have had a big problem with tail end waggle above 70 to 80 mph, as have other 1st genners.

RandyA

What do you mean by "waggle"? I just put a new Avon on my rear a month and a half ago or so, ever since it just dosen't feel right. I don't remember it feeling this way on the Avon that was on the scoot when I bought it. The last tire was a Metzler ME880. I don't think it felt that way then either. Not sure if it is my imagination or not. There's a big diff when there is a hard side wind. It feels as though the entire lower half of the bike is being pushed sideways. Almost as if the rear tire is half flat. Or half inflated, if your an optomist. I was gonna replace the wheel bearings and check swingarm bearing as well. I checked the wheel bearings when the wheel was off to get the new rubber put on, and they felt fine. I was also gonna check every other moving part of the suspension while I was at it. Never know what 25 years does to these things till I get a good look.

I just noticed your statement in the 1st post about the air lbs difference between the Avon and the Dunlop.The saying years ago was that Avons rode on air and everything else rode on the side walls.Avons have always needed a higher amount of air in my experience.

I am interested to hear about the good experience you are all having with the E3. I am on Metz 880s now because I can put a white wall on the front. I would like to keep that up and put a white wall on the back as well but the only tire I can find in the RSTD sizes is the Dunlop 404.What is the opinion of the group on that tire? I have an 08 RSTD with 20,000 mi on it.

Goose,

I've had similar experience with E3 wear. While I ride 1-up most the time, when I am two up-it's with the trailer FULLY loaded, so its being put to the test. Right now I expect to get 15K out of the E3s on average last one was 16,500.

I do think they handle as well as any tire I've ever had on any bike including Avons.:2cents:

What do you mean by "waggle"? I just put a new Avon on my rear a month and a half ago or so, ever since it just dosen't feel right. I don't remember it feeling this way on the Avon that was on the scoot when I bought it. The last tire was a Metzler ME880. I don't think it felt that way then either. Not sure if it is my imagination or not. There's a big diff when there is a hard side wind. It feels as though the entire lower half of the bike is being pushed sideways. Almost as if the rear tire is half flat. Or half inflated, if your an optomist. I was gonna replace the wheel bearings and check swingarm bearing as well. I checked the wheel bearings when the wheel was off to get the new rubber put on, and they felt fine. I was also gonna check every other moving part of the suspension while I was at it. Never know what 25 years does to these things till I get a good look.

I had all the same issues on my avons I was actually scared to go much over 70 mph,and I had replaced all my wheel bearings at the same time. When the dealer replaced my avons with the dunlop 491 elite II due to side wall cracking my bike was its old sure footed self again . I will be sticking with the dunlops from now on.

• 5 months later...

I thought that I'd resurrect this thread to offer my thoughts on my new E3's rather than start a new thread.

When I bought my RSV a little over a month ago, the front tire was past junk already. I had to ride the bike over 100 miles home and it had such a bad wobble at speed it was an exciting trip.

The new E3 up front solved the wobble and in general handled great, but I still had a bad "road crack following" problem. The rear didn't want to follow the front.

I re-checked the front wheel bearings and tightened the steering head with no improvement. I played with air pressure front and rear as well, same story.

I was reluctant to change the rear tire as it was an almost new Continental "Contitour", but finally bit the bullet and bought a new rear E3.

The first thing that I noticed was the size difference between the two tires before the E3 was even mounted. Both tires are the same designated size but the Conti is 1 1/4" wider and 3/4" taller than the E3.

After mounting the Dunlop is real close to as tall as the Conti but still an inch narrower. This is most apparent in the way the tread is designed on the E3.

The Conti, like most motorcycle tires has the tread running down on to the sidewall allowing all but the most aggressive rider some margin before you run out of tread in a hard lean.

On the Conti I still had roughly 1/2" of "chicken strip" on the edge of the tire.

I put 200 miles on the new E3 today and even with taking it easy to break in the new rubber, I'm already scuffing the tire right to the edge of the tread.

This was by no mean an aggressive ride. There were no parts dragging the ground, the tires never slipped an inch, but I am a little concerned about running out of sidewall tread with the Dunlop's.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just paying too much attention to a new tire/bike combo. I know that it's not a sport bike, but everyone likes a hard corner now and then.:178:

The bonus with matching tires front and rear, is that my un-even pavement problem is gone. These tires ride and handle very well. I think even with the tread issue these are still going to be great tires.

You can see the difference between the two tires in the pics below.

I thought that I'd resurrect this thread to offer my thoughts on my new E3's rather than start a new thread.

This was by no mean an aggressive ride. There were no parts dragging the ground, the tires never slipped an inch, but I am a little concerned about running out of sidewall tread with the Dunlop's.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just paying too much attention to a new tire/bike combo. I know that it's not a sport bike, but everyone likes a hard corner now and then.:178:

I do not think you are gonna have a problem running out of sidewall tread on the E3. I think you will be so far over your bars will be dragging first.

I was concerned about that also when I removed the stock 404s from my bike. It has been to the dragons tail and they did just fine there.

I have 8700 miles on mine so far and they are holding up real good and handle 100% better than the stock 404s.

I think you made a good choice in the tire selection... I will go back with the same when these are gone.

I've been rinning E3's on both front and rear for roughly 12,000 miles. Tread still looks great....nowhere near needing replacing! When they wear out, I will buy another set. I'm not an agressive rider and most of my riding is 1 up although from time to time my wife will crawl on and we will take a weekend trip or just an evening ride. I usually run 40 psi in both tires. Never had a handling issue. IMHO, the E3's are a higher mileage tire and they are made of a harder rubber compound than some of the other tires offered for the RSV. Generally speaking the harder the rubber compound, the less grip but higher mileage. Even though I don't consider myself an aggressive rider, I have leaned her over pretty far on the E3's with no issues but if I were gong to consistently ride aggressive, I would choose a softer tire.

IMHO, the E3's are a higher mileage tire and they are made of a harder rubber compound than some of the other tires offered for the RSV. Generally speaking the harder the rubber compound, the less grip but higher mileage. Even though I don't consider myself an aggressive rider, I have leaned her over pretty far on the E3's with no issues but if I were gong to consistently ride aggressive, I would choose a softer tire.
I just recently put an E3 on the rear my Virago. While researching a replacement, as I recall, the E3's have different compounds with harder rubber in the middle and softer on the sides giving both good mileage and good grip in the twisties. There are probably better mileage tires and grippyer tires but the E3's seemed to be a good combination of both.