IGNORED

1st Gen Mileage Question

84xj1100

Welcome to my first thread since joining the site.

I'm sure the question has been asked before but I can't seem to find it.......how much mileage do 1st Gen's have on their bikes.

I just purchased my first Venture (an 86) which I loving refer to as my "couch". It has 72,500 Km's (approx 45,000 miles) on it and I'm curious as to how long I could expect her to remain on the road, if I look after her.

I will be picking her up next week.

Thoughts, tips, hints or suggestions also welcome????

:cool10::banana::cool10:

Thanks to all who choose to respond.

Greetings Ed,

Good for you on your first post.

We certainly hope it is not your last, so go grab that favorite drink and jump in anytime.

As for gas mileage on a 1st gen, I really cant help you since I do not own one.

Some folks here would say they can go a whole year on a gas tank full on a 1st gen.

That's because it couldn't leave the garage and it all evaporated..:stickpoke:

Others however would tend to say around 38 to 45 MPG maybe even a little more.

You can page down to the bottom of this PAGE, and you will see other posts about fuel mileage Maybe the info your looking for is there.

I'm sure someone will jump in soon, so be patient for a reply.

All 1st gens and their owners are a little slow ya know.. .:whistling::rasberry::rotf:

My 85 G1 VR has about 42000 kms on the clock, and is in the middle of a major rebuild this winter thanks to Rocket.

the list is transmission rebuild, rear output shaft and ujoint replacement, progressive springs, new water pump, stainless brake lines and clutch lines, adding drving lights, adding grease fitting to swingarm and grease it., new tires, and getting new paint on the trunk and side bags where the clear coat was peeling.

Brian

Eck....It looks like we'll be jousting in the future.....1st Gen's rule

Friesman1.....you're scaring me.....I know through the research I've done (mostly this site) that 83-85 had the second gear issue but all the work you'll be doing with only 42K....wow

Yopper....thank you....that makes me feel a whole lot better.

mm482.....you too are making me feel a whole lot better

Welcome to my first thread since joining the site.

I'm sure the question has been asked before but I can't seem to find it.......how much mileage do 1st Gen's have on their bikes.

I just purchased my first Venture (an 86) which I loving refer to as my "couch". It has 72,500 Km's (approx 45,000 miles) on it and I'm curious as to how long I could expect her to remain on the road, if I look after her.

I will be picking her up next week.

Thoughts, tips, hints or suggestions also welcome????

:cool10::banana::cool10:

Thanks to all who choose to respond.

Some of the guys I rode with back in the late 80's didn't get rid of their bikes untill they had around 100,000 on them. They always keep the bikes well maintained.

My 86 gets 35 mpg. Wish it got better.

BTW welcome to the site.

Hey, all in fun..but if you think what I said was bad, wait till you meet up with Redneck...He'll set you straight on 1st gens and where they fit...

Greetings Ed,

Good for you on your first post.

We certainly hope it is not your last, so go grab that favorite drink and jump in anytime.

As for gas mileage on a 1st gen, I really cant help you since I do not own one.

Some folks here would say they can go a whole year on a gas tank full on a 1st gen.

That's because it couldn't leave the garage and it all evaporated..:stickpoke:

Others however would tend to say around 38 to 45 MPG maybe even a little more.

You can page down to the bottom of this PAGE, and you will see other posts about fuel mileage Maybe the info your looking for is there.

I'm sure someone will jump in soon, so be patient for a reply.

All 1st gens and their owners are a little slow ya know.. .:whistling::rasberry::rotf:

Eck--Just because your a moderator, doesn't give you the right to pick on new people:no-no-no:

We all know you feel inferior because you have a 2nd gen. :smile5: and secretly wish for a 1st gen on all your birthdays when you blow out the candle's.:stickpoke::rotfl::rotfl:

Friesman1.....you're scaring me.....I know through the research I've done (mostly this site) that 83-85 had the second gear issue but all the work you'll be doing with only 42K....wow

Yopper....thank you....that makes me feel a whole lot better.

mm482.....you too are making me feel a whole lot better

Sorry I didnt mean to scare you, except for the output shaft drive breaking and screwing up the back gear, the rest of the work is being done because the bike is apart and there isnt a better time to update a bike than when it is already apart. The 2nd gear in mine was fine and had no issues, and It was in the list of supposedly bad ones.

I do only get about 35 mpg on highway and 27-30 in city but I suffer from twistee-wristee syndrome.

I love my bike! its fast, fun to ride and comfortable.......(hmm I have a remark about that,, but I cant say it in here...:rotfl:)

Brian

Edited by friesman

I currently have 52,000 miles on my 1986. I keep it in a good state of tune. I get 40-42 U.S. miles per gallon in the city and 46 on the highway at 70-75 mph. These figures are with about 60 lbs of luggage and one person. With 2 people and about the same luggage I get about 38-40 mpg at 45-50 mph. I get about 33-35 mpg. with 2 people at 70 mph.

Now, if you get a bit heavy on the throttle, you will see a dramatic drop above 75 mph. At 85 mph I get about 34-35 mpg running one up. At just under triple digits I drop under 27 mpg. Go above 6000 in 5th and you don't need to be watching mpg!!!

JB

A good running 1st Gen can get up to 50 mpg and still stay ahead of the 2nd Gens.

The World famous "Blue Beast" had 98,700 on her when a S-10 took her out. Was still taking Dodge Hemis and Hardleys. They take a little tinkering now and then but what lady don't?

Our 83 has well over 100,000 miles on her. The 86 I'm not sure about but he's been riding that one most of the past year and he rides everyday. As long as you do the routine maintenance on her she should last you a long time. Oh and those 2nd gens they'll tease but the oldest of them has just reached 10yrs old. We'll see how well they hold up as the years add up on them. :whistling:Anyway welcome to the site. Oh and enjoy all the miles you are going to put on your bike.

Margaret

Hey, all in fun..but if you think what I said was bad, wait till you meet up with Redneck...He'll set you straight on 1st gens and where they fit...

Hey Eck ,you don't mean that tight thing REDNECK SITS ON DO YA? lol!

Anyway welcome to the sight 84. I take it from your title that you also own that other great Yamaha the XS/XJ 1100. I own one of those too and haul a sidecar with mine. I have an 85 Venture with only 35,000miles on it. I'm getting around 37mpg with mine. The 2nd Gen's get much better gas mileage because they're so friggin slow . Thats okay because of the guys that ride them are old anyway. :witch_brew:

Luckily for you yours won't have the tranny issue earlier Ventures had so sigh a breath of relief.These bikes are bullet proof and you should get years of riding out of your Venyure. By the way what color is it ? We bicker over that stuff too LOL! Wecome to the club.

Thanks so much folks, your responses have been overwhelming.

I suppose I should have posted this on the 1st Gen forum...I don't suppose those wannabe 1st Gens / the 2nd runner ups, ever read it do they?? Especially without pictures. That way I'd have only gotten the responses that matter.

Blame Eck - he started it. (let the jousting begin)

BTW it is two tone grey, I should have pics in the next month or so

:rotfl:

Ed

My 91 Vr has 64,000 and cou ting up every day. I'm getting about 43 as of the other day.Was only getting 20 before muffinman lent me his tci box. found out the bike was only running on 3 cylinders and still outran the second gens, all Harleys it got up against and 1 hyobusa 1300. These things are like old tanks. Through whatever you want at em, they'll love it and ask for more. Welcome tomthe forum.

David

As with ANY machine age will play a factor. Plastic and seals deteriorate with time. They are well built machines though and it should serve you well. Since I have had mine over the last 3 years I have done the clutch, rear bushings, front forks, second gear, stator, throttle cables and clutch slave cylinder.

Not a bad list considering. I rolled the odometer over to all zeros just past hope BC last summer.:banana: 7000Km on it now.

I hope this helps.

On the upside - its a first gen.

hi Ed and congrats on the new addition.

i have an 86 with 130,000 so far, runs like a charm. i get 40 to 44 mpg.

you should set the reserve on the tank to the reserve position. the tank holds 21 litres and i have gone up to 350 kilometers on a tank.

there are maintenance items that we do on our bikes to bring it up to an extemely reliable and comfortable machine.

give us a shout anytime you need help

cheers, Scott

Mines an 84 Standard with 64,000 miles on the odo. Rebuilt 2nd gear (undercut the gears, new thrust washer and clips), repainted frame, all the rear swingarm upgrades (Sleeves, grease joints, etc.), installed radio, gonna do CB. These bikes will live forever and take anything you throw at it!

There's nothing better than an open stretch of road, no traffic, open fields to each side to watch for the critters..... Stop, enjoy the scenery for just a moment, shift into first, grab a hand full of throttle and let the Space Shuttle take off! Red line up through 3rd will get you to triple digits within a few seconds, it's up to you after that!

Enjoy!

Dan