IGNORED

Carb Diaphragm info...finally

Guest ReinyRooster

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

My diaphragms arrived today! Exactly one week after I placed my order, I was pleasantly surprised by a small white box in the mail. The gentlemen at Sirius answered all the questions I posed to them with much patience. The discount still applies, although not as deep as in the beginning (After all, the original deal was setup a year ago, prices have gone up since then) I'm thankful they still offer the deal to the VentureRider organization.

When you're ready to order, send an e-mail to Chris or Martin asking for the group discount. Place the order via their web site (www.siriusconinc.com). When complete, e-mail them the invoice number and the deal is done! Very easy to do and great people to work with!

Thank you Sirius!

:thumbsup2:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Mike...Now that I know this is still valid, emailing now to order a set.

I am reviving one I got off ebay, that obviously sat up a while, looks like all 4 diaphragms have holes galore in them.... Can't wait to see what she runs like with the new ones in.

thanks for the update mike...now that i know this is still valid, emailing now to order a set.

I am reviving one i got off ebay, that obviously sat up a while, looks like all 4 diaphragms have holes galore in them.... Can't wait to see what she runs like with the new ones in.

just hang on !!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I installed new Diaphraigms with slides today, haven't got the carbs synic yet but took it for a ride and it would only rev out to 6500 rpm. Also put a K&N filter on.

The engine noise has been getting kinda loud and the clutch slipped when trying to crank it out. When I pull the clutch lever in the sound goes away.

Here's a picture of why I replaced the slides too. The chip was only on one but the others were worn quite bad.

If you're only revving to 6500, then you've got a dead cylinder or 2. These bikes will wrap to 8500 without floating the valves. Synch job will help, but I'd pull my plugs and take a look at them. I just pulled my front wheel off the ground a few days ago when I banged 2nd gear, so that tells you how it should pull.

Dan

If you're only revving to 6500, then you've got a dead cylinder or 2. These bikes will wrap to 8500 without floating the valves. Synch job will help, but I'd pull my plugs and take a look at them. I just pulled my front wheel off the ground a few days ago when I banged 2nd gear, so that tells you how it should pull.

Dan

Ya, our Salt Lake Silver/Gray ones do that at 7500 rpm.

It's just today after the new Diaphragms that it doesn't rev. All four cyclinders are hot to the touch. The carbs were sync with lot's of holes in the diaphragms and now with no holes it just doesn't rev out. I just didn't think it would be that far off though.

Ya, our Salt Lake Silver/Gray ones do that at 7500 rpm.

It's just today after the new Diaphragms that it doesn't rev. All four cyclinders are hot to the touch. The carbs were sync with lot's of holes in the diaphragms and now with no holes it just doesn't rev out. I just didn't think it would be that far off though.

Double check to see if you don't have a vacuum leak on a diaphragm seal. Sometimes those puppies can pull out and get pinched when installing. If you're not pulling that needle out far enough you won't get enough gas though a carb at high RPM's. And that may also be the case if the phragm rubber is thicker than OEM's. Just a thought..:confused07:

Double check to see if you don't have a vacuum leak on a diaphragm seal. Sometimes those puppies can pull out and get pinched when installing. If you're not pulling that needle out far enough you won't get enough gas though a carb at high RPM's. And that may also be the case if the phragm rubber is thicker than OEM's. Just a thought..:confused07:

"Your the Man"

Yup you pegged it, one of them had shifted and was leaking. I took the air cleaner off and saw that one slide wasn't moving. Now it revs out to 7500 again. It still takes longer than before but I'm sure the snyc job will fix it.

Thank you VERY much!!!!

"Your the Man"

Yup you pegged it, one of them had shifted and was leaking. I took the air cleaner off and saw that one slide wasn't moving. Now it revs out to 7500 again. It still takes longer than before but I'm sure the snyc job will fix it.

Thank you VERY much!!!!

No Problem... That's what this board is all about. The slower throttle response is probably due to the diaphragm material being a little thicker than the OEM material, and not quite as responsive. I've never been a big fan of the replacement phragms, and wonder if they don't limit the distance and speed a needle will pull out of the jet?? But.... some movement is better than no movement.... and the price is a whole lot better than OEM... :thumbsup2:

The Synic job cured the problem, it revs to 7500 VERY quickly.

Milage went from 31 mpg before diaphraigms & slides to 36 and then after synic up to 38.

The noise.... not as bad as it was before synic but still there. Some of the guys think it's the lifters.... 112,000 miles on bike and they have never been touched. However some of the noise goes away when pulling in on the clutch lever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

:backinmyday: Changed The diaphrams yesterday,went for a mountain ride today WOOHOO , now I know what you guys have been saying about the 1st gen 1200, my retinas are still on Stevens Pass on highway 40. From 60 mph she took off like a scalded cat:225:!! Thanks to this forum. Thanks To Sky dog, Thanks to Rocket. All who said something about Diaphragms..

Now to fix that darn second gear:223:, parts are in the mail...Mike R.. Calgary..:fishin:

:backinmyday: saying about the 1st gen 1200, my retinas are still on Stevens Pass on highway 40. From 60 mph she took off like a scalded cat:225:!!

Better be careful, retinas are important!!!!! :rotf: I think am qualified now to know something about that.....:backinmyday::rotf:

Brian

• 7 months later...

Just to add more to the diaphragm knowledge database-

Working on another bike that had similar Mikuni carbs, I had great difficulty trying to get the raised edge of the diaphragm to stay in the groove while trying to get the cover screwed on. The solution is one that I wish I figure out previously when replacing mine on my Venture.

Long story made short, I used four pieces of regular masking tape to tape the diaphragm in. Place the tape on no more than about a tenth of an inch of the diaphragm when measured from the outside edge. (i.e., just enough to hold the diaphragm edge in when it is seated in the groove.). Put the cover in place and put your four screws in hand tight until it just seats and back each screw out - no more than a half turn. You should be able to pull out each of your four masking tape pieces intact. If the tape pieces rip and do not come out intact, disassemble and try again.

Again, the performance that gets restored when you replace diaphragms is amazing. You lose this gain by not having your diaphragms properly sealed.

Hope this helps someone and please let me know how it works for you.