IGNORED

Help, I need Riding Tips!

douglaskinney_phd

I recently, two days ago, moved up from a Suzuki GZ250 to an 1986 Venture. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to adjust to the bigger bike. Once I get going on the highway I am fine, but the starting up, stop and go traffic and trying to turn around on a two lane is a bit of a challenge. I am 5' 10",156 and small frame. Too much bike maybe or are there some tricks I am going to have to learn. Trying to keep from falling on my.......:8:

Parking lot practise is what you need. Big tip.....look where you want to go...do not look down.....ever...cause you will fall over!

Get the Ride Like a Pro video for great tips.

The first gen venture handle slow speed better than the second gens do.

Take it to the lot every chance you get and practise.

Happy riding...you can do it!

At 5'10", you might be a little challenged at riding a first gen,they are very tall bike and top heavy at slow speeds. I am almost 6 ft. and still find myself on tiptoes when I put both feet down. If you find it to challenging you might want to switch to a lower ride like a Vstar, I have a 1 Gen and a V Star 1300 and the Star is a much lower ride and much easier bike to handle, But I do love the Venture for it ride and accessories.........If you are going to be riding alone I would suggest something smaller. Good luck with what ever way you decide to go, we are here to help in any way we can.

Parking lot practise is what you need. Big tip.....look where you want to go...do not look down.....ever...cause you will fall over!

Get the Ride Like a Pro video for great tips.

The first gen venture handle slow speed better than the second gens do.

Take it to the lot every chance you get and practise.

Happy riding...you can do it!

Edited by DragonRider

The Venture is a hand full for us smaller guys, you are not alone. Practice. Get a copy of ride like a pro and practice. Tips: Make sure that your handle bars are straight when you stop. Heavy on the counter weight at slow speeds and "trail brake". Practice and get comfortable with it. Practice Building confidence did wonders for me. Practice Check the air in the front shocks; when mine was low it handled badly at slow speeds. Practice Make sure the steering head bearings are tight. Practice Try not to use the front brake at slow speeds till you get the feel for the weight of the bike. Practice Look where you want to go,keep your head up and don't look at the ground. Oh and did I mention practice 8^). I am sure you will get more tips. Ride safe Rod

Parking lot practice, Keep doing it. Last summer my son was having problems with the staggered cones for his motorcycle test. I floored him when I went thought the cones on my 86 venture. He was riding a sportster. I still play with mine every chance I get. By the way, your the same size I was when I bought my bike.

If your rideing alone, Keep the Air Pressure Low, in front and Back.

That will give you a little extra leg length for starters.

Tip. When Parking the Bike, Never park front heading " down hill " its heavy.

When parking the thing in a lot, pick you parking place carefully.

Learn to back it into parking spaces!!

If you are backing the bike out of somplace, with downhill, KEEP the side stand Down, go slowly, and favor the left side, just in case you loose it.

Like the other guys said, find a big parking lot on Sunday, Morning, and practice, practice , practice !!!

Like everybody says......Ride Like a Pro will help you learn to control the weight of these big puppies. And the practice. Low speeds in a parking lot will teach you about everything that will keep you in the saddle.

If you are worried about dropping the bike while practicing take some heater hose and split in open on one side. Slip it over your crash bars where they would hit and zip tie them in place. Looks a little weird but takes the worry out of scraping them up.

And I'll say this. I'm 6'2" and 285 lbs. The one thing that about got me every time when I first got the bike was using the front brake at low speed turns. You will learn how fast that changes the balance of the bike and usually not in your favor. LOL! Practice the "trail braking", using only the rear brake during low speed turns and keeping that hand off the brake until you are stopped.

Ride Safe

Mike

I've ridden a lot of bikes in my life. Been on a motorcycle cince I was 8. One thing I learned from going from a small light bike like a 250-750 to a monster like the Venture. You gotta re-learn riding. The smaller bikes you can muscle around and throw around to force them to do what you want. The venture and other big heavy bikes are in charge, not you. if you get past the wrong point, it's going over and you will not stop it. This bike is way too heavy for you to put out a leg and keep it from going over. My left leg still hurts from that silly manuever.

Give yourself 3X the braking distance than you are used to. These monsters do not slow down instantly like you are used to. They will accelerate much faster than you are used to. My old slow 83 1200 will eat every Kawasaki Ninja in this town as well as anything with a 750 or smaller motor, I utterly make these kids cry. Second gear feels like a rocket ride. But that rocket ride can get out of hand easily.

If you are used to Chain drive, these shaft drive bikes handle different. they lift when you nail the throttle instead of drop like a chain or belt drive bike does.

Also be aware, you have nearly 1000 pounds going down the road, if the rear end get's loose and starts to come out or around.... you're in trouble. Once you get used to it, you can do a LOT with it you are used to.

Basically get a lot of time in the saddle. ride it everywhere for every reason. nothing can replace riding, riding, riding.

Oh most important. make 100% sure the kickstand is DOWN before you get off. Dont ask, bit it did not impress the wife when I brought the bike home the first time.

I went from a XJ650 to the Venture. Even that was a big step up.

As mentioned a number of times before: "Practice". It takes some getting used to.

They are considerably more top heavy than you are used to. Get it off balance while pushing and you're done too.

Finally, for those 2 lane turn arounds use the friction zone liberally. If you don't know what the "friction zone" is get out and take the MSF Beginning Rider Course ASAP.

Oh, one more thing: Even more important not to stop with your foot in a rut or hole.

Try to keep as vertical as you can, especially in low speed turns. I can turn mine around with no feet down on a country road, you just have to go slow and easy, and once again, keep yourself and the bike as vertical as possible!!

Dan

:BLUE:Sarges46 stated some sage advice; in particular...look where you want to go...because where you look...you will go. Good luck...you will conquer! I am only 5'8" (stretching), weigh 170 and am almost 62 yrs old...bought my RSV 1 1/2 yrs ago and had to learn how to ride the old top-heavy bike. As you practice, and have questions, be sure to tap the vast knowledge here at VentureRiders...great people with many lifetimes of experience.

At 5'6", you might be a little challenged at riding a first gen,they are very tall bike and top heavy at slow speeds. I am almost 6 ft. and still find myself on tiptoes when I put both feet down. If you find it to challenging you might want to switch to a lower ride like a Vstar, I have a 1 Gen and a V Star 1300 and the Star is a much lower ride and much easier bike to handle, But I do love the Venture for it ride and accessories.........If you are going to be riding alone I would suggest something smaller. Good luck with what ever way you decide to go, we are here to help in any way we can.

Did I read wrong...I thought he said he's 5'10" and skinny as a rail at 156 lbs. At 5'6" then that would more of a challenge!

Did I read wrong...I thought he said he's 5'10" and skinny as a rail at 156 lbs. At 5'6" then that would more of a challenge!

You read right and we're all different and could be tall in the saddle but short in the leg, my self at 5' 5" I had to lower my bike front & back.

No doubt the venture is a lot of bike and the best advice I could give is to go slow and take your time and you will learn how to handle this beast and riding with experience riders they sometimes forget your not use to handling that big bike and it takes time, and after 3000 miles you should feel comfortable with it.

My bad, guess I didnt have my reading glasses on when I read that post........................Still a very tall bike for any rider under 6 ft. But not quite as bad as 5'6", now where did I put those riding er reading glasses..............

Never ever strop sideways on a hill, and never ever stop with the front tire higher than where your feet are!!! Don't ask how I know these...

Make sure your air suspension is at the lowest setting possible without the suspension botoming out. You can also take the seat apart and remove some of the paddsing to get you a little closer to the ground. Boots with very thick soles also help...

Never ever strop sideways on a hill, and never ever stop with the front tire higher than where your feet are!!! Don't ask how I know these...

Make sure your air suspension is at the lowest setting possible without the suspension botoming out. You can also take the seat apart and remove some of the paddsing to get you a little closer to the ground. Boots with very thick soles also help...

you CAN do that one. There are a couple of intersections in Grand Rapids michigan that you are aimed up a 20% grade hill that is incredibly hard to stop on and then get going but you can do it.

The ones I hate are intersections when you make your turn it's a sharp uphill climb into the road. you are leaning and going up a hill. Plus around here they think throwing tar and gravel on a paved road is "fixing it" so you have loose gravel over tar all over the city.

I am 5'6 also. Have been riding a little less than three years. I got my venture about a year ago. I "gently" laid it down in the driveway a couple of times getting used to it. Here are my top suggestions.

1. ride like a pro DVD.

2. Take your riding boots to a good shoe shop and have them add some height to the sole. (I did this and it really helped.)

3. Learn to use the right combination of both brakes when coming to a stop.

4. Don't be afraid to make liberal use of the friction zone, especially with U turns and hard right turns from a stop.

5. Don't be afraid to lean it. In fact, physics demand it at times. (ever hear of going "high side"? Thats from not enough lean.

Good luck, be careful, watch for cagers!!!

-papa smurf

My bad, guess I didnt have my reading glasses on when I read that post........................Still a very tall bike for any rider under 6 ft. But not quite as bad as 5'6", now where did I put those riding er reading glasses..............

Yeah Lew, no reading glasses and dyslexia is a challenge.

The parking lot suggestion is great and something else to keep in mind is upper range TIRE pressures really help these things, especially at low speeds. A low range tire pressure makes them wallow. Go for at least 40psi in the front. Also Get up to about 15mph and start doing some swinging back and forth and increase the amount of lean as you practice.

RandyA

1.Get some saddlebag rails(you will drop this baby in the learning process so buy things that will protect the bike.

2 Be real careful stopping at slow speeds,Do not have your wheels turned or turning when you stop.You will go down.I went down twice due to that.

3.Learn how to get the beast back up if she goes down.

Good Luck and have fun.It want take long to get the feel of it.