IGNORED

rear end noise?

I have a 08 venture and I rode it to work today and on the way back when i get around 50mph I hear a hum sound in the rear almost like the tires on a truck make but not quit or a gear humming, any idea? It has the factory dunlops on it and I have never heard it before today and I feel alittle vibration also but that could be normal and I am trying to sence things. Thanks for any imput.

One possibility could be the tread on the Dunlop tire that makes the sound your talking about.

Does the sound seem to disappear when you lean from one side or the other?

Another possibility could be the favorite whine that you will see many here talk about.

Some change clutch baskets to try to eliminate it.

You can also page down to the bottom of this page and read other posts about rear end sounds and noises.

One of the posts may explain exactly what your talking about.:thumbsup2:

the bike has alittle over 4200 miles on her, I havent looked at the tires not to say its not that but I have been in cars with that and it doesnt sound like tires being cupped. I didnt get it over 60 but the noise didnt go away, it wasnt so much a whine and it sounds like the rear of the bike not the engine or I basket, from 55 to 40 as you slowed it got a deeper sound and it stayed even when I pulled the clutch in and would coast. I am going to call the dealer and get it taken in just to be safe but kinda wanted to get some ideas first. thanks

the bike has alittle over 4200 miles on her, I havent looked at the tires not to say its not that but I have been in cars with that and it doesnt sound like tires being cupped. I didnt get it over 60 but the noise didnt go away, it wasnt so much a whine and it sounds like the rear of the bike not the engine or I basket, from 55 to 40 as you slowed it got a deeper sound and it stayed even when I pulled the clutch in and would coast. I am going to call the dealer and get it taken in just to be safe but kinda wanted to get some ideas first. thanks

Most of get rid of the tires by the 6000 mile mark on those Dunlops, the older they got, the nosier they get. :)

I have a 08 venture and I rode it to work today and on the way back when i get around 50mph I hear a hum sound in the rear almost like the tires on a truck make but not quit or a gear humming, any idea? It has the factory dunlops on it and I have never heard it before today and I feel alittle vibration also but that could be normal and I am trying to sence things. Thanks for any imput.

where you still in 5th gear?

my 07 hums like that when, I'm in too high a gear for the speed.

Welcome to the world of owning a Venture

It makes the noise in 4th or 5th and if I pull the clutch in. I looked at the tires over the weekend and they look new still have great tread on them and all. It just seems funny that I didnt hear it this morning and then I hear on the way back. I hope its not the tires as I would like to get some money out of them as far as milage goes. I am going to check the fluid in the rear end after work wed if I have time and see what it looks like. I had all the fluids changed after the break in and just changed the oil over last weekend. thanks

I have an 08 RSV and at 1800 miles my final drive started to whine but it would stop whining if you pulled the clutch in. I also cupped the OEM tires. I bought my scoot new and it came with Bridgestones. After I got the final drive replaced, I could hear the tire whine but it seemed to go away or get much quieter while leaning in corners. I ended up replacing the tires and I bought a set of Dunlop elite III's. So far, they have performed well but I only have about 3000 miles on them.

I got about 3300 miles on my 07 Midnight...when you lean it off center you can hear the rear tire noise. I do not notice it all the time...just when I hear it...I can do a little zip zap in the lane and confirm that it is tire noise. Cannot wait to get them 404's replaced.

I am not saying its not the tires because it does kinda sound like them but I havent heard of any just doing it all at once like this did. I have to remember to call the dealer and have them look at it to make sure for my piece of mind I guess

The tires can many times be something that just all of a sudden you hear or feel. I know when I have had tires (especially the rear) start to cup it makes the bike handle poorly and I feel it in the front end. Let us know how it goes and we'll be here

:happy34:

I called the dealer today and told them when its nice enough to ride it over I will drop it off to them. I told them what it was doing and he said it could be the tires but he has seen some that the rear end is out of alignment and making it howl like that, but they would be happy to make sure it is alrite and take care of it for me. I will say that everytime I have had a problem they have tried to take care of it and tell my why it is doing what it is.

It was nice when I came home today alittle chilly but I dont let that bother me to much, any way I took the bike and decided to track this noise. I noticed that as I would lean from side to side and it hit the tread on the sides more the noise was louder and I do think the side treads are cupped alittle but not sure if its that or the way the tread is made as its not really bad.and after riding for a few min I did notice that it does sound alot like the tires and I would say I am 90% sure that is what I am hearing. Now I just have to figure out what I want to do with it or about it, I dont have the extra money to change them out at the moment and I dont think it will do anything other than make noise rite? Thanks

My 2005 Venture has 22,678 miles on it, I am on my second set of Dunlop 404s (got 12,000 on first set) never had a problem with noise from them, My Wife's VTX 1300 has 404s on it and have never had problems with them, checking the air pressure weekly helps out on getting a lot of mileage on a set. Also be sure and check dates on the tires when you purchase them some have been laying around warehouses for years. :cop: