IGNORED

Let's have a contest

Freebird

Hi to all,

My story is something like a bait and switch. I was taking motorcycle classes at Slippery Rock University and Howard decided I should have a motorcycle of my very own. The year was 2000 and he had purchased an 1999 emeral green Kawasaki Voyager. So, while I was busy taking my class, Howard went to Zanotti's (in Butler) to find the perfect bike for me. When I returned home I thought I was going color blind, because instead of an emerald green Kawasaki in the garage there sat a two tone red 2000 RSV. Imagine that! To this day I still think I got gyped, but there is nothing like riding an RSV. Howie is now on his second RSV. As for me I did get a motorcycle of my own, but found out I liked being a passenger better than the driver. Once a backseat driver always a backseat driver.

Cheryl

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2004 I had been making a little noise about wanting to get a bike. My wife just sort of listened and frowned. I had my eye on the Vstar 1100. Anyway, in June, near my birthday a coworker came to me one day told me that a truck had hit my Tahoe in the parking lot and I was needed there. I was pissed. How could someone do that with where I was parked. So I go to the door and look out for my truck and it wasn't there. In the spot was a new Vstar 1100 with birthday banners and balloons on it. I was surprised. It was a couple of days early but the sun was out and they were predicting rain for my birthday. She had bought it about a month before and stored it in a friend's garage.

We rode the Vstar until late summer of '05. We had taken a few weekend trips with friends that rode larger bikes, Gold Wings, Vulcans and Intruders. After a couple of hundred miles we were ready to get off the bike.

I began quietly looking for a bigger bike, mainly GWs but found I couldn't get comfortable on them. My wife and I had looked at an '04 Venture at the dealer and it sure looked comfy. One day I was out for a ride and stopped for a break at a gas station and there was a guy there on a Venture and I struck up a conversation with him. He told me a of a low mileage '04 Midnight in Louisville that a dealer was trying to sell for a customer. I couldn't wait until Monday to go look at it. It was a year old '04 with 2000 miles. I made a really cheap offer and the guy accepted.

Since then I've been riding about 20k miles a year on the '04 and later on my '07. We've been on 3 long trips. In '06 we rode to CO, WY, SD and back, in '07 we went to Yellowstone and Glacier National parks and this past summer we rode to Utah.

Here's our photo from our FL vacation last fall. And no, this isn't our normal riding apparel. It's jsut what we had on as we walked to dinner.

We're hooked.

Dennis

It was years ago back in '84 when I was a much younger man with a passion for traveling. My current lady was cramping my style and couldn't make the trips I wanted to do together. I was cruising the local dives mourning my situation when this blonde caught my eye. She had a creamy, glossy sheen and all the curves in the right places. She was stylish, and well decked out, dressed to the nines you might say. Everything that draws the male mind. She held my attention as I slowly worked my way in her direction past a selection of other willing if less desirable choices. The others were only worth a glance and no more. I was infatuated. As I drew near her I became aware that she was already spoken for. All the signs indicated that she had someone else in her life. My heart sank and I stepped away saddened that I had missed my chance to know this desirable and fantastic lady.

I went my way for years with other ladies, some as passionate as I was for seeing the country, but lacking that blondes charm. Some of those relationships were good and some ended quickly. The chemistry just wasn't there. I always thought of that long ago encounter and my lost chance at being with the one that I was so drawn to.

Then a few years ago, I met another traveler and we talked about our relationships. I wandered on and on about my lost desire. He looked at me and said he had a lady he wanted me to meet. I was reluctant, I'm not one for set ups, but he told me knew of a lady that had lost her loved one and had been staying at his place for several years much to his wifes frustration. She needed someone to look after her. It had come to the point that it was time for her to go.

I am older now and was looking for a lady to spend time with. A lady I could be comfortable with and travel again. I arrived at the fellow travelers home and met his wife. She was thrilled to meet me and gushed about how happy I was going to be. We talked for a while and they decided it was time for us to meet. We went downstairs and he drew aside a curtain and there she was. The blonde I had longed for all these years. If not the same, a twin to the lady I had seen years ago. That was it, the moment had arrived. All I could do was stammer, "Hi! My name is Mike" We hit it off right way. She was mine.

The next weekend we packed up what was left of her possesions and moved her to my place. She seemed to enjoy the attention and responded to my care. She took on a glow that made her look young again. Friends came by and smothered her with compliments. She took it all in and made me proud.

And good Lord I remember the first time I turned her on.............:smile5:

Wait, I forgot.......the bike right?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

OK, so now my story. Went to an airshow in '86 with my then girlfriend Becky and saw a VR immediately fell in love! I was riding a XS500 at the time. Thought it was the ultimate in motorcycles but couldn't afford anything like it. It far surpassed the Gold Wings of the time.

Fast forward to three years ago. My Honda CX650 was blown of the centerstand and sustained some damage, I had that bike since '94 so it was time to either hang it up or find a bike my now wife Becky and myself both liked. Well, a guy at work had a neighbor who had this old classic motorcycle with low miles so I went to see it. One test drive and we were sold and the rest is history!! It had 8700 miles and I got it for $2700!!

This is most likely the last scoot I will ever own, unless we actually wear it out bewfore we are too far gone to ride any more...

PS the bike I saw at the airshow was a blonde as well!

Edited by bongobobny

Now,,, the rest of the story.

I was puttering around in the garage one Saturday in October of '06, when my brother from Columbus, OH calls to chat. He told me, "by the way, this classic bike dealer down the street from me has a touring bike he's trying to get rid of". I told him to send me some pics and a phone #, contacted the guy and went over the next weekend with a trailer and 600 bucks. Never heard of a Venture before (84 Standard maroon), looked at it, started it up, rode around the lot and put it on the trailer. Since then, I got introduced to this website by Millman37 in a bike store one day, the bike's brought me back from Cincinnati wounded (no stator, no 4th or 5th gear), I have totally torn her down to the ground and rebuilt her, including taking off the next day after finishing it up for last years MD. She's kinda like a second wife, really. Takes your money, needs care and attention, a little clean-up and "bling" every once in awhile. Oh, by the way, she don't mind getting rode hard and put away wet like a horse does! Actually, I think she enjoys it (the bike Squid, the bike)! I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Dan

In July of 05 i saw a black chreey rsv in a local Lex.ky dealership and fell in love.I ask about buying it but found it was already sold and that they couldnt?wouldnt get any more of that color. After going to every dealer in a 150 mile radius of my area i cave up on getting one and settled for a 06 suzuki, i know big difference.anyway i rode it for several months all the while still looking for a black cherry rsv. in dec i was on cycle trader and lucked on a very low milage ad ,60miles, from northern ohio. i called right then and found it to be still available but the seller stated she had had two other people call her on it, i told her i'd be there the next day and after a five and half hr ride i was there and bought the bike ,waited over three hrs to get the paper worked finished, and ended up riding it home in a very freezing rain all the way back home. It is the best bike i've ever riden and if it ever needs replaced I'll look for another venture hopefully it'll look as good as the black cherry one does

Count me in on this one!!

In 2001 I purchased a 1984 Venture Royal after taking a test drive around the trailer park that the owner lived at, Pentiction B.C. I hadn't ridden in over 20 years, I didn't fall over so I figured it was the bike for me. I did fall over a number of times after purchasing it though. Great bike!! Purchased a 2000 2nd gen in 2005 and sold the 84 for what I paid for it, great investment.

Harry

...heck even a Royal Star...

Well heck, since you decided to let in a Royal Star...

My "introduction" to this bike was a fully dressed '81 XS1100. I got it with a full fairing with a stereo, trunk, and side bags. I liked it a lot. Then there were a few years between that bike and my current one. The wife had suggested us getting a bike a few times, and I had pretty well put the motorcycle idea down. But then the price of gas began to change my mind. One of the biggest reasons I chose this bike over others was because it was not a V twin. I'm just not a V twin fan. Another reason was because of the color scheme. Most of the rest of the reasons I appreciate this bike came about after the purchase.

In 1984 my wife informed me that she was pregnant and in the fall of that year I sold my bike. The intent was that at some future date when the kids grew up and didn't have time for us any more we'd get another one.

It was always in the back of my mind.

Wayne

I was something similar to Wayne, Had a Kaw when we first came to Canada, then when my son was born in 74, that was it for the bike.

Jump forward to April 2007, bought a 2004 Suzuki 800 Maurader from a member of the GWRRA and joined the club, the bike was imaculate...1 lady owner...took the better half for a ride, which she enjoyed but found it was awful hard on her butt....a little larger than when we dated....So when I went to the Aug GWRRA's monthly breakfast, I was sat at a table with a guy that had just bought an 07 GW and he told me he traded in an 02 midnight Venture. Next day I went to the dealer took the Venture for a ride and though it was heavier than any bike I'd had before, bought it and have no regrets, plus the wife likes the seating a hell of alot better.

Ian

The way I ended up with mine is my brothers fault..... I was looking for a big bike for longer trips. I had a Nomad and wanted more. I looked at everything that had saddlebags... I took my brothers Valk for a ride, about 500 miles, and didnt think that was what I was looking for. Road King just didn't have it and the bigger harleys were way over priced. My brother kept on me for two months to try the RSV. Finally I gave in and took one for a ride... and the rest is history...

Dale

My story goes like this. I had a Roadstar for about a year and Marcie, my girlfriend at the time always complained that on longer trips it was uncomfortable. So after returning from visitig my parents in Florida and also visiting some bike stores down there we went back to my local dealer and looked at the 2000 rsv. Marcie of course loved it as who wouldn't. We had a summer vacation planned at te Outer Banks with all of her family, so I said you are willing to ride this to OBX then I'll buy and she said let's do it. Had a great trip and since that year have done many other long trips. Now on an 05 RSV.:Venture:

I bought a 98 Virago and joined the local Virago Owners club. One of the guy's (Don Preston) got a 99 Venture. His wife Bobbie fell asleep on the back all the time. Rose decided we need a bigger bike for trips and I said only if I keep the Virago. When we started looking at the bikes on my list she sat on the MM Venture and said this one. I said I like the Midnight color and she said the MM so guess what we got? Lots of smiles and miles later I have gotten used to the white bike. Rod

I had a Honda Shadow1100 and my wifes rear would kill her riding to my sons house an 1- 1/2 hour away so she said we had to get something biger if we were goning to ride longer and take some trips. We went in to see about a goldwing and as were looking the salesman walked up and she told him she wasn't sure if she liked it or not. She actually spoted it first and ask about this black and a black cherry Venture on the floor and we began to talk to him about it. He was from Arizona and had a 99venture for sale so after finding out that the wife liked the back seat better than the goldwing and I liked the classic look of the venture he offered a test ride on his 99, said it didn't matter if we wanted his or a new one he would work with us. Well I went to his house and rode his bike and the rest is history. We decided on new but waited another month and when we went back the salesman had moved back to Az., but we ended up with the midnight and we love it.

Not many first gens or seconds in WV. I can't remember ever seeing one. I sold my kz750 when I brought MamaMo home.Hard to keep a wife and a scooter on $5.00 an hr in 81.After 24 years with no scooter I went to look at a wing. That was a big mistake the thing was trashed.I wanted a low budget cruiser to hone my riding skills and not wanting to drop a new one crossing that creek.

I decided to buy myself one for my birthday in July of 05.Thats when I found on Ebay a 84 venture with only 17k. The bike had been in storage for 13 years. A doctor who had one just like it bought a second one when his riding buddy died of caner in 92.I said to myself what is this?I entered a low bid of $1200 my max budget for older cruiser. Thats when I found out it's 1100 miles to Mena Arkansas.I bought a rebuilt set of carbs and paid some A##hole $800 to paint a faded fender,install two new tires,and change the carbs.I went surfing for info on the venture and found this site and two other riders in WV.

Edited by FROG MAN

Her name is Rachael! I first saw her on Cycle Trader, a 2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe, sitting forlorn in a garage. She reminded me of a bike I had as a kid. Remember the spider bikes with banana seats and sissy bars? Same color scheme but Rachael was full grown, very voluptuous, with curves all in the right places! I contacted her previous master and after an intense, 10 second, brutal negotiation she was mine for the taking. 1200 miles separated us but my love was so great that even the dreaded strip and cavity search of the airlines could not stop me. So on September 27, 2008 Rachael met her new master. We spent the next 4 glorious days consummating our relationship driving back through the Appalachian mountains home to Florida. This Valentines day I plan on sending her to the spa! That's right! Nothing is to good for my Rachael. We are talking oil change, air filter, light bulb replacement, Chrome job, and of course a full body wax!! Anyhow to make a short story long ...

http://tourdeluxetour.shutterfly.com/

We were looking for a bagger because I finally convinced Shari that baggers aren't just for old people.:)

We drove and sat on a bunch of Goldwings,Harleys and even a Voyager.She just wasn't comfortable on any of them..

We were on vacation in Rhinelander,Wi. and I was looking thru the little local paper and saw an ad for a Yamaha Venture..What the heck is that??????????????

I called the guy and he said it was kinda like a wing.He said it was just to big for him to move around after having rotator cuff surgery.He was in his late 70's...But he said the bike was at the local dealer and they were closed for the July 4th holiday.

So we made plans to go up the following week to look at it...As soon as Shari sat on it,she started smiling and said,"this seat was made for my arse"..And after I rode it,I was amazed that a big bike could handle that well 2-up....

He was asking $2700 and we got it for $1900 as we were the only people to come and look at it because everybody else was looking for a wing.

It had been dropped in his garage and at the gas station.His wife was happy he was selling it.So now we were the happy owners of a 1987 Venture with 17,000 miles and a couple of minor dings..

I was helping him clean out the bags and pulled out a Milwaukee Police Dept. jacket..

He was a ex-motorcycle cop..It turned out that he worked with a bunch of my Dad's buddies.....Small world...

As I pulled out of his driveway with Shari behind me in the van,He was walking down the driveway with tear in his eye.Shari said that was one of he saddest things she has ever seen...

It's been a few years,but we plan on going back up to see him and show him that his bike is in good hands..:happy34:

I got on the interweb and found this site and the rest is history..:D to be continued.......

Thanks for the contest Don....:thumbsup2:

I look at my transition to the RSV as a sort of natural progression in life. That the rides I have owned in the past were just a stepping stone to riding the ultimate touring bike. Let me explain:

When I was just a wee lad, I bought my first 'bike', a Keytone mini-bike. As I grew older, I stepped up to the Honda 50 and then on to a mini-enduro followed by an assortment of dirt bikes. Hey, I was young. My body could take the beatings offered by whoop-di-doos and jumps.

When I turned 16 and got my street license for the first time, I picked up an on/off road bike which allowed me to drive the highways yet hit the dirt trails as well. From there, the need for speed took hold and I went through an assortment of crotch rockets, so much so that I ended up on the racing circuit for 8 years. Hey, I was young (in my 20s)and my body could take the beatings from spills into hay bales from being too cocky on a chicane. Finally, one particular nasty spill got me to thinking that hey, there's got to be more to life then taking these risks on an oval circuit.

So I bought my first true street bike, a Suzuki 1100. Once again I went through various street bikes. Hey, I was young (in my 30s now) and I could take the punishment dished out by riding long distance in an uncomforable saddle. I owned everything from Yami's to HDs to Kawi's and back again before finally, (now in my 40s), I bought an '03 Roadstar Silverado cruiser. Now I could sit back and relax a little and get to see what I never saw before when I was racing from point A to B!

I went from trail riding to racing between points A and B in record times to cruising the streets to traveling across the country in my years. My body isn't like it used to be. The years of firefighting and working construction have taken it's toll on this old guy. Not wanting to give up riding but needing a ride more suitable to comfort to allow this battered body a few more years to ride, it was time to swap the Prius for a Cadillac, so to speak. My Roadstar served me well and together we put a lot of miles on her but she just couldn't provide me with the comfort my tired bones needed on long distance trips anymore.

The reason I chose an RSV? My Roadstar was by far the most reliable bike I have ever owned so it just came naturally that I'd check out Yamaha's touring line first and when I finally did get to see it up close and personal, I knew she belonged to me! One thing though, I have a strange suspicion that when I hit 60? I might just have a look at the Gold Wing! That 'reverse' thing they have on it sure would be a bonus!

Bluez :cool17:

Edited by Bluesman
Missed a line.

I bought a 100 shadow aero from a buddy and wife didn't like the comfort in back. I changed to a Mustang . lowered the footpegs and added bags. She then decided she wanted a bike of her own so we bought her a Valusia. After awhile we decided we wanted a bike we could tour arond on, and all the bells and whistles. I was told to go out and but one no matter what I chose. Looked at the Ulta. Goldwing, and Venture. We decided on the Venture and really liked the dark cherry. I had to go Clean to Mississpi to get it, but we were the first one's down here to have one. We love the bike and want to take a lot more trips on her!

My dad got his first bike (Kaw KZ 400 deluxe) when I was 8 years old. Since then, I knew I would have a bike one day.

In 2006,wife and I looked at and bought a used (700 miles) 2006 650 Silverado. While looking up infor on Yamaha's web page, I saw the picture of the 06 RSV. Cannot recall that I had seen one, but it looked good.

I was all set to buy one until I found out that the 07s were going to be blue. That would work out better anyhow becuase by the first of 2007, we would have no vehicle payments.

In Jan 2007, we made the last payment on our Ram 2500. Just a few weeks later, I went and test rode the 07 RSV. You can figure out the rest from there.

I have sat on, but not rode, my dad's 98 Kaw Voyager. Although it feels lighter, I would rather have my RSV.

After putting 20,000 miles on the bike in 1 1/2 yrs, I am guessing I will have it for many more years.

:Venture:

I received my first bike as a Christmas present in 2004 a 81 Wing at the time I thought my next move would be HD and my wife new this and made sure the wing is what I wanted. I told here I would rather learn on a $2,000 than a $20,000 one.

In 2005 I stopped into the local dealer and there it sat I fell in love with the looks of it then I made the mistake of sitting on it I knew then HD would have a challenger in my choice.To my wife's surprise the RSV was added to the computers wallpaper along with the HD Ultra Classic.

I told my friend about the RSV and he then started pushing the HD but all it took for me was the day he took off on my Wing leaving me to ride his Classic by the time we made it to our destination my feet and hands itched from the vibrations and I felt cramped in comparison to my Wing.

In 2008 I was at the dealer to get my wife a better helmet to go on a ride to benefit the wife of a fallen officer in Twinsburg and they had a Black Cherry/ Raven sitting there. After prying me away from it I was told not now. Later that year I was following a RSV on a poker run took some pictures of it and when my wife saw them she told me to just go buy it. This time I told here no but after another month or so she caught me lurking on this sight and again told me to go buy it. So I said lets go next weekend. When I got to the dealer the 2008 had sold 2 days earlier my heart sank. Then the dealer pointed out that he had a 2007 Midnight and I fell in love again and signed on the dotted line.:mo money:

Everything went well till next morning hearing the bottom of the market has fallen out and now I just hope I make it through these times without loosing what I waited so long to get. Some days regretting giving up my Wing that was payed for. BUT ALL WILL BE GOOD have to think Positive.

Understand that I had always thought of getting a motorcycle but for various reasons never did. In early 2005 my older son called and told me that my his brother had bought a crotch rocket and crashed it, he hadn't told his mom, had it hid at a friend's. I called him and we talked about it, I told him I'd pay for him to go to safety class. 3 weeks later I gave him the news, he was going to class that weekend and I was going too! A week later I was looking for my first bike, I had decided that if I was going to ride it was going to be more long distance touring riding. On the way home from work a guy had put out a bike for sale, it turned out to be a 1987 Yamaha Venture Royale, gold. I took it for a ride and bought it on the spot. Over the next year we rode locally but the wife wasn't real excited, the neighbor had been hit by a drunk on his bike and it scared her. She left and the next spring of 06 I bought the 90 two tone blue from a Venturerider in TN. I had joined this site for tech info. Sold the 87 and found Sue, her introduction to the Venture was a 420 mile day. We've put a lot of miles on since and last August bought our 06 Black Cherry from this site. Already put almost 4,000 miles on her before winter and looking forward to a lot more.

Well....after years of not riding I decided to find one and start enjoying the Stress Relief that I remembered. I went to all of the different dealers and looked at what was available. When I walked in the Yamaha dealer it was like a light was shinning on that Midnight Venture. I went over and admired it and dreamed that one day I would buy a motor like that. The next day I talked my wife into going to the dealers with me so she could see all of the choices. I had decided I would just buy something simple just to get back on the road. I took her to the Yamaha dealer and showed her the RoadStar and then took her over to the Venture. I told her....One Day I will own a motor like this. My sweet little bride looked at me and told me if that was what I wanted to go ahead and get it because I would never be happy with anything else. I had her sit on the back of the Venture......then on the back of the RoadStar. While she was sitting on the RoadStar she looked at me and said "I am not having this". The rest is history.....and I love the Venture.

Mavrick

I guess I am one of those guys that feel things happen for a reason. Like many here, I started riding early, for me when I was 14. At that time most all of my friends were getting into tobacco, but I had more fun with a gallon of gas than a pack of cigarettes. Last bike was a 250 DT1 Yamaha after getting out of USAF. Sold it in 73 and did not ride until over 20 years later. Laura and I had taken a cruise to the Bahamas and was scheduled to go out snorkeling. For some reason the trip was canceled and there we stood at the meeting place not knowing what to do. While looking around, I saw a guy renting little Honda 50 scooters. We walked over and looked at them and ended up renting one for the day. I was extremely apprehensive due to the time from being on a bike, being a long way from home and the traffic driving on the left side of the road. We had so much fun we rented it again the next day.

When we got home I told my dad about the fun on the bike and he informed me he had an acquaintance that had a bike he desperately needed to get rid of. It was a Yamaha 850 Triple Special. It was a good running bike with the fairing and Yamaha hard bags. The only problem I had was it was real tall and with me being inseam challenged, it was a problem.

While out riding one day and stopped at a gas station, two guys pulled up on 1st gen Ventures. I asked if I could set on one and was hooked. I started looking for one and between the paper and swap & shop, there were three available locally. One was not much more than a parts bike the guy wanted too much for, one had a lot of miles and a slick rear tire and then there was the one I ended up buying. The guy that had it bought it a year earlier and had put 109 miles on it and was still making payments. I ended up making him an offer that was a bit below what he was asking, and he told me that was less than what he still owed. The bike had 23,000 miles. We ended up making a deal and he only asked if I could wait about 6 weeks for the title so he could get it paid off. This had become a major ordeal between him and his wife.

We have now had this bike 13 years next month and have put over 97,000 more miles on it. It has literally become part of who we are. We also ran into a really good deal on a little camper and have some great camping trips, especially Vogal and Asheville. We are so looking forward to this summer as we are both aware that our days of getting away on this bike will be numbered due to age and health issues. Another thing that has become a big part of my life is my daily visits to this site and the many friends that we have made. These events have all been for a reason. BTW, the pin is of an early 1st gen, like mine.

Oh, and I never did get into using tobacco.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy