IGNORED

Another tire story

01 Rider

I know this has been talked about many times but I'm going to bring it up again. I think it's important.

The 2nd day out on our 3 week vacation this summer I picked 2 nails in the rear tire on a Sunday. The only shop open was 150 miles away, so we plugged it and took off. When I finally got there I had two choices a Metzler or an Avon, I choose the Avon. I heard all the stories about the Metzler. The Yamaha dealer in Redding, Ca. was great, they got me in and out and took good care of me.

Now the rest of the story. I am a Michelin Commander guy and the combination with the Avon never felt right. This past weekend I finally got a new Commander and pulled the rear wheel off to change the tires. Well to my suprise the Avon had cracks in the center of the tire and some small ones on the sidewall. Turns out the tire was 5 years old when I bought it. I was just lucky I took it off when I did. I never saw the cracks with the tire on the bike.

Emailed Avon and they agreed it was dry rot, but they won't warranty any over 5 years old. Emailed the dealer I bought the tire from, Redding Yamaha Seadoo, and they are going to take care of me.

Long story short, check those DOT codes before you put the tire on the bike.

Well I have a Dunlop front. thats over 5 years, had it on my tire rack, and It has No Cracks or anything that looks like that.

Does that mean anything ?? I don't know-- Maby the Temp and humidity conditions down in Redding, Verses' the Cool Damp weather up here in Seattle.

But as to Metzlers, just to many reports of Blow Outs---

I'm staying with the top of the line Dunlops, never had a problem with them.

I have also run a lot of Continental tires, never a problem with those either.

It certainly looks as if the Dealers and tire industry will NOT police themselves regarding the age of tires they sell to us.

"Buyer Beware" is all we have to fall back on guys.

As for the Metzler tires I would not be surprised to see them get hit with a class action lawsuit.....and they sure do deserve it IMHO!

Hmmm ??

Well I have a Dunlop front. thats over 5 years, had it on my tire rack, and It has No Cracks or anything that looks like that.

Does that mean anything ?? I don't know-- Maby the Temp and humidity conditions down in Redding, Verses' the Cool Damp weather up here in Seattle.

But as to Metzlers, just to many reports of Blow Outs---

I'm staying with the top of the line Dunlops, never had a problem with them.

I have also run a lot of Continental tires, never a problem with those either.

Mine looked perfect before they put it on. If you use it just keep an eye on it.

It is good of the dealer to take care of the problem for you, I assume a refund?

Good lesson to look at the date on all tires before buying them, especially if you aren't in your home area.

I mess with old cars, many of them have 20-30 or MORE year old tires on them. If they have been kept indoors out of the sun and away from electric motors and heat etc, they can be that old and still look perfect.

I have been well over 100 mph on tires that old, and you bet I was thinking about them at the time! :shock3:

Slight cracks in just the outside rubber probably aren't a huge risk, since the strength in the tire comes from the cords and body, not the outer rubber layer, still, better to put something fresh on a motorcycle where failure is more of a big deal than on a car. (still a big deal on a car!).

SO just how do you know what the DOT code means? Is it just a month/year combo, or what?

Brian

In the first thd. it shows in the picture 3203. That means the tire was made in the 32nd week of the year 2003. In other words in August.:)

WoW glad you took it off when you did that looks nasty. I too am a Commander guy. Won't put anything on except them unless circumstances like you were in arise.

I won't put an Avon on, not because they are a bad tire or anything, I just didn't like the feel of the ride I got on them. Couldn't wait to get them off.

• 10 months later...

With sooooo much riding on your tires.....the quality of rubber you install would be "a no brainer", I would think.

How many folks purchase a new car (zero mileage) off the lot, that's 3 years old, lets say and pay full price?? Why would you do that for tires???? There's a date on them for a reason same as foods & dairy products.

I'm hesitant to order tires on-line, as I have heard of large companies stockpiling and consumers receiving 3 or 4 year old tires. If they were kept in "ideal" conditions they may or may not be in good condition but again why take the chance???

There's far more to a tire than just having enough tread on it to pass a safety.

Just my thoughts......

I was thinking about putting commanders on my wife's roadie, I prefer radial tires, some have posted on here that they are not radials, but on www.bikebandit.com they list them as radials.

Do they have them listed wrong.

Gregg

They are not steel belted radial. They are Kevlar reinforced radial. I spoke with a rep at bike week. They also had a cutaway to show it better. I questioned him alot because of no one having good info on how they are made.

Here is an update of the original post.

Redding Yamaha Seadoo got their tire salesman to give them a credit for the tire they sold me. In turn I got a credit for a new tire whenever I needed one. I finally called last week and they sent a new Commander. It was only 6 months old. They kept there word and replaced the old tire for free. Good people.

They are not steel belted radial. They are Kevlar reinforced radial. I spoke with a rep at bike week. They also had a cutaway to show it better. I questioned him alot because of no one having good info on how they are made.

They should ride good then, I going to put a set on Karren's Road Star, she rarely puts over 10,000 miles on her bike yearly, so should get a couple of years out of them.

Gregg

• 8 months later...

There were metz. on my 01 when I bought it.....They performed great.....Bought a set of dun 404 to replace them because of price...The rear wore completely out in 4500 miles....I replaced it with an elite 3....It was performing as it was supposed to when I got another bike, an 05 RSV....This bike needed a set when I bought it and I had heard from some local riders that they were very happy with avon tires......They got the expected performance out of them and realitive high mileage, so I bought a pair......Put them on last Tues. and then found and read about the cracking.....I will be keeping my fingers crossed.......:thumbsup2:

I love my Kruz now that i got the pressure right and it doesn't weave on the thread. But beware ordering tires fro catalogs because they send the oldest tires in stock and if you have an older size that they don't move often you're more likely to get a tire that is way past its shelf life and the catalogs don't always honor an old tire.

It happened to me. the catalog co. stiffed me when i complained. Luckily the tire company made good with a new tire.