IGNORED

Laid it down Saturday

Kidh2

We had a large group out of Slidell Louisiana heading up to Natchez MS Saturday to ride part of the trace. Right outside of Columbia MS in a hard right hand turn across some RR tracks the rear got a little squirrly. I had my choice of hitting a RR crossing sign, a culvert or a patch of wet dirt. Went for the dirt and the bike laid down and immediately came to a stop, unfortunately the wife didn't and came over my back. I hit the edge of the road pretty hard and the wife didn't hit hard but twisted her already chronic back. We're ok, a lot of bruises, but I can surely testify to the advantage of leather and helmets. My jacket tore in half and the right side of my helmet is flat from scraping the concrete road. Witnesses said that we were moving about 10mph when all of this happened !!

The adjuster is coming out tomorrow and basically the entire right side of the bike needs attention. I may be in the market for parts.

After seeing the damage to the leather and helmet, I can only imagine how bad it could have been if we were not wearing the proper riding gear.

Must be something in the air as I had a mishap Friday on my way home from work.

I was following a string of vehicles and on a two lane highway when a wheel came off a trailer (3 or 4 vehicles) ahead of me.

The darn thing decided to go across to the other side and was hit by a jeep coming the other direction.

It came at me and hit the left side of my bike. I knew I was going down, just trying to decide where so I managed to get it into the ditch.

The wheel continued and struck the car behind me and took out her windshield along with a big dent in the top of her car.

I think we were all very lucky from the sounds of it and I too agree, the leather jacket & helment is the only way to go.

Glad to hear you and wife was not hurt more than you were.

Thankfully you're both here to tell about this. Hope you both mend well soon and insurance comes through for you.

My first ride Sunday on my '06 RSMV took me across some tracks...have to make a sharp left, then immediately across the tracks...there's sort of a rubber insert between the rails that you drive over...I hit it before I was fully out of the turn and it was raining...felt the wheels slip a bit...woooooo...gave me a bit of a scare! I'll be watching for that situation in the future!

First let me say I'm glad you're both ok,(sort of) but this seems like a recepe for disaster.

First let me say thanks for all the well wishes and there are a lot of good people living around that area. Just about everyone that passed offered help.

Second, you are right about a recipe for disaster. Most of the folks, after offering help, told us to get way off the road because about 2-3 accidents a week happen at that turn. You could see a lot of evidence where vehicles didn't make the turn and ran off the road.

Guest BigJohnD
Thankfully you're both here to tell about this. Hope you both mend well soon and insurance comes through for you.

My first ride Sunday on my '06 RSMV took me across some tracks...have to make a sharp left, then immediately across the tracks...there's sort of a rubber insert between the rails that you drive over...I hit it before I was fully out of the turn and it was raining...felt the wheels slip a bit...woooooo...gave me a bit of a scare! I'll be watching for that situation in the future!

Did a similar thing on a cattle guard at the bottom of an on ramp out in Utah. Goosed the throttle a little and the rear came around a little...gave me a pretty good start...won't be accelerating over cattle guards any more...

1st I am glad you and momma are ok ,then here is my story.

Been there ,and done that, in Savannah on river street. The pavement was smooth between the tracks and we were on rough cobble stone so, When I went to get in between the tracks the front tire slipped and down me and momma went hard. Bruised ego and leg for me and bad bruise knee for momma, but she got right back on! Scared everyone with us and the store owners came right out to help. One guy in a Mercedes pulled up and blew his horn and almost got whopped on by the other bikers. Been down 3 more times sense that. Last time was hard turn on a down hill slope covered with pea gravel and almost ran off the side of a mountain. It was 2 hours before I even started to feel the pain in my shoulder, but wasn't anything I even went to the doctor about.

Believe it or not I am the Road Captain for our local CMA in Dalton, GA. If they only knew :starz:

Guest tx2sturgis

One thing to remember when riding, is that if its shiny, its slick, so be careful!

This applies to rails, bridges, cattleguards, road striping, brick roads, and anything else thats shiny, even when its not wet. If it IS wet, its gonna be like the proverbial snot on wet glass.

Some intersections where rails and roads are in the traffic mix are unavoidable, but try to ride over those rails perpendicular, or close to it. Any bike thats rolling parallel or nearly parallel to a set of rails is hard to manuever over the rails. If you have to cross them at a shallow angle, nearly parallel, then do it in a quick and decisive manner. Going slowly, as in 10 mph, can cause problems, as you found out.

When your turn involves crossing the tracks within a few feet or yards of where you need to cross them again, then its sometimes better to cross them completely and then come back across them, nearly perpendicular, assuming traffic permits.

Of course, this may help other riders who arent aware of the dangers. I almost lost a good freind years ago due to the rider crossing some tracks at a 45 degree angle and having slowed down too much.

BTW, Glad your OK...