IGNORED

how far do you go on reserve tank

Brian D.

OK, here what I need to know, how fardo you or can you go once you switch petcock to reserve. My fuel gage light comes on at roughly 182-185 miles and i swiitch to reserve, fill up and it takes about 4 to 4.7 gallon. Why does fuel gage light come on so early if I have a 6 gallon tank? I have over 6,000 miles on RSV in 5 months and have never put more than 4.7 gallon in it. So how far can I still go with 1.3 gallon left and 2 bars showing. How far can you go on your reserve? thanks Brian D.

Well I have never saw the fuel light come on, and the fuel counter only once. I have had to switch to reserve more than once.

At highway speeds I have to switch to reserve at about 140-160 miles and it will take about 18 litres to fill. So I still have lots of gas at that time.

Brad

Hey Brian!

Without fail, my fuel light comes on at 165 miles (give or take a couple miles). After that during our average trips and two-up and loaded light, I'm usually good for about another 30-40 miles. If we're riding fully loaded and pulling our trailer, then we'll only get another 20-25 miles after the fuel light comes on.

I've had my bike for about eighteen months and have rolled about 26,000 miles on it. Gas mileage has remained steady and I couldn't be happier with how it has performed.

And, now wintertime is fast approaching . . . sigh:snow2:. Time to pull out the heated gear.

Be Safe!

Pete

Warning light usually comes on at about 160-170. Have made 9 and have made 21 before switching to reserve Depends on the fun factor:shock3: After hitting reserve - went 40 last week and hit 212 on the odometer. Put in right at 5 gal. It takes a lot of effort to get the tank REALLY full - It may be a 6 gal tank but I am not sure how much you can really get in above the filler neck I have been squeezing in everything I can get lately since gas prices are freaking out so much.

I ride all the way to the first gas station. :thumbsup2:

Honestly, when it hits reserve I am seriously looking for gas. I have ridden 35 miles , by my odometer, before I finally found a station. Let me tell you, I was getting real nervous.

When the Warden is with me I very seldom let it get on reserve. She loves to ride, but HATES to walk.:no-no-no: :rotf:

This has been discussed MANY times before - just scroll to the bottom of this page and look at those threads. Bottom line is that you have about 1.5 gallons left after the trip meter switches - that gives you a MINIMUM of 40 miles range, and 60 if you ride conservatively (based on average RSV MPG numbers of 35 - 40 miles per gallon. How many miles you get BEFORE the trip meter switches is simply a function of how full you got the tank and how you ride. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Filled it FULL ran until the fuel light came on and the Fuel Trip meter started to run upwards. Went to Wally World bought a 1.25g Gas Container and placed it in the trunk. Ran it until sputtered at 55 Miles after Fuel Light and Reserve Position. Grand Total 245miles divided by 6 gallons so that is approx 40 MPG riding 2 Up 80% time between 55 - 65mph. :Venture:

I normally average 135-140 miles before I hit reserve. Last weekend with a major tailwind and running a cruise controlled 65mph, I hit reserve at 169.

I once ran my bike completely dry (on purpose) and had 42 miles on the reserve fuel.

When we travel with our trailer on long trips, we always carry a couple of extra gas containers for a total of three extra gallons. Boy, I tell you ..., that sure builds a lot of extra distance confidence.

However, on those trips when I wasn't carrying extra fuel and I ran until I had to switch to my reserve with no certain gas ahead - I tell you, I sure begin to ride conservatively. My typical run speed is about 75 MPH on highways and freeways (when safe), but when that light comes on, I drop down to about 55, and then begin trying to recall just exactly how far I could possibly go, and just exactly how far away from gas I might be. I'm pretty careful about getting in that situation though. Pushing a fully-loaded Venture for any distance is out of the question.

I would be curious to see exactly what kind of mileage I could get on a full tank of gas riding at constant 50, 60 and 70 MPH under the same conditions. I have pretty close estimates at 70 MPH, but of course there are usually variables to consider that mess up accurate statistics.

Good luck!

Pete.

To be honest , I don't like to run it to the reserve or till the light comes on during out of town trips . Being , I never really know how good of fuel I am going to get at the next gas station . Hopefully it's good gas , or not knowing if it has water or has been diluted . I have my Zumo gas gage set at 130 miles . A low fuel reminder prompts me to start looking for fuel at 100 miles . Knowing that I just ran on good fuel and if I do happen to get some bad fuel , my chances of the scoot will run better with possible 1/2 good / 1/2 bad gas to the next gas station where odds are more likely to get better fuel . I've notice sometimes a big difference in mpg in between fill-ups and I air on the side of caution . Besides , stopping every 100 miles gives the wife and I a moment to stretch our legs and for her to grab a smoke , look the bike over for safety issues .

BEER30

Okay guys (and gals).

First, a question in response to the topic question.

Who rides with their fuel tap on the main?

Reason I ask - my tap is PERMANENTLY set to reserve.

The way, when my fuel warning light comes on and my odo starts to count up, I find a servo.

I know I can easily get 60 highway kms out of reserve.

Where I live and ride as a daily commute, I'm never further than 25kms from a servo.

My:2cents:worth.

Guest Lightnen

I think I've gotten the fuel problem solved at least for myself here. I picked up a Tomtom One XL GPS the other day and one of its fetchers is locating the closest Gas Station haven't had to use it as yet but I'm hopping this will rectify some of the anziaty of hitting reseve and not knowing where the next gas stop is.. LOL..

Who rides with their fuel tap on the main?

I ride on reserve all the time now. However, just to keep the petcock from sticking, I do turn it off at night. The most I've gotten after the ticker starts and light goes on is 36 miles (it did not run out yet). At that point it took 5.47 gallons to refill to the top with the filler neck vented. We were two up, pulling a trailer (loaded) and doing 70-75.

I plan to pack some spare gas and test the limit under different conditions. Heck even a spare quart of gas should get me to a station in most areas.

Be safe, Ponch

I experimented once with an empty tank (between work and home, so the bike wasn't packed), just to see how far I could go on a 32 Oz MSR Fuel Bottle. Well, I made it just 17 miles. It's not much, but it could make a big difference if I had ever run out of gas 17 miles away from the nearest gas station. However, I don't typically depend on that as my back-up fuel support.

Pete.

The only answer is "to the nearest gas station". If you don't know where that is you shouldn't wait until you hit reserve. When we're on the road I start looking for gas at about 130 miles. I don't want to be sitting on the side of a road or leave my bike and start walking. One tip, if you're going through Nebraska you might want to have a spare can of fuel, there's a loooooong way between stations sometimes.

• 1 year later...
Guest tx2sturgis
I experimented once with an empty tank (between work and home, so the bike wasn't packed), just to see how far I could go on a 32 Oz MSR Fuel Bottle. Well, I made it just 17 miles. It's not much, but it could make a big difference if I had ever run out of gas 17 miles away from the nearest gas station. However, I don't typically depend on that as my back-up fuel support.

Pete.

That comes out to 68 miles per gallon...wow...mine doesnt do anywhere NEAR that good on gas...I wonder if you had some leftover fuel in the tank you didnt know about?

I'm not sure exactly how that worked out. I know that I typically get average MPG. But, on that one day, I did run dry about as much as I could possible tell. I mean, it wouldn't start. And then, after adding the 32oz MRS Bottle, I was able to go 17 miles before going empty again. Maybe I'll give it another test to see if I missed something the first time. Typically, I get about 35-38 MPG during most types of average riding.

Mostly, I'm just happy to be getting the bike out and doing a little riding again after another long Utah winter.

Be Safe!

Pete.

How interesting, all these replies and not one single First Gen input. The only thing I can say is I have never switched to reserve so have no idea how far I can go and yes I ride a lot. I put 17,000 miles on Blondie last year. When I get to the last bar on the gauge I gas up. When I have from time to time allowed the low fuel warning light to come on, I find a gas station within 10 miles or so. I usually go 120 miles and then find a station. Just cant make myself go to reserve...lol...a mental block I think.

:Venture: