IGNORED

how many running c/t's

gunboat

hi all

now have over 12,00 miles on my c/t, it's hard to catch up with lowell. i would like to ask how many ventureriders are now runing c/t's on their scoot's now. i have pulled a trailer with the scoot over 4,000 miles with no ill effect.

best reguards

don c. :97:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have over 9000 miles on mine, and there is no noticeable wear...

I am curious as to how many are running CT's on their Ventures too....

Last spring, there were only a couple of us here that had converted to the Darkside.

I see the ranks growing, ever so slowly, but growing none the less.

Aside from a couple of riders that have tried it, and didn't like it...for whatever reasons, I haven't heard of anyone having any problems.

I have pulled into a rally or two, where people have noticed the BF Goodrich T/A Radial on my Venture, and they tell me it won't work...

I just grin and ask...'how do you think I got here?'

I'm running the Kumho Powerstar 758 165/80-R15... I do have to lean a little more than I used to and had a wobble until i increased the air to 40 lbs... I got about 3k miles so far but I'm reserving my recommendation until I do some more miles and repack my steering head bearings and check my swingarm bushings... I have over 70k on the bike and these have never been done...

Got 500 miles on my nexum 165/80/15, the only difference I can tell is when heavy loaded in a hard curve. No problems just a different feel.

Have 7500 on my uniroyal 205/60/16 on the valkyrie, no problems will never ever put a motorcycle tire back on the rear of it.

Gregg

Bikes in the stable. 1971 CL100 HONDA, 1974 CL360, 1996 MAGNA, 1997 VALKYRIE

1971 CB750, 2000 VENTURE

Same size on the TD. 155 or 165/80R15 (The only dangerous thing about them is mounting them. Before doing anything I would do some research here. http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding/start

Not many choices in those sizes. None are really easy to find. There are a few sources online for the Vredestein and Michelin.

BFG in the 155 (But they are raised white letter on one side)

Kumho

Federal

Vredestein (I would have gotten this one but didn't have time to order. http://www.vredesteintire.com/products/SPRIN.asp

Michelin

Edited by BigBoyinMS

Bigboy,

I've got a question for you. If I run a Vredestein tire, 165R-15 on the rear of my RSTD, would I still be able to run a non radial motorcycle tire on the front? Actually anyone's comment would be welcome. I'd like to run a gangster tire on the front.

Also, will this tire lower the rear of my bike? Iv'e already got a lowering kit on.

Thanks,

Steve

Eagleeye...

IfI understand your question correctly...

The answer would be , yes.

I run a BFGoodrich T/A Radial on the rear and a bias ply Dunlop Elete III on the front, and it is working fine....

In regards to the lowering issue..again,I would have to say , yes.

The CT you mention will generally be of a smaller diameter than the stock or OEM MT you would otherwise use. Although, you don't specify the profile of the CT you mentioned, as in 165/60, 70,etc...

I have the lowering links installed, and with the BFG on the rear, I can't say that the difference is really noticeable...at least not after the third or fourth ride anyway....

You will notice almost immediately, that the front will have a lighter feel, and low speed manuvers, like a right turn from a standing stop, will be much easier.

• 2 months later...

eagleye,I have a '07 RSTD with a Federal 165/80/15 on the drive.It is almost an exact match to the stock bias profile.Contrary to some others experiance,I had very little trouble mounting it.The bead was well lubed and seated nicely in stages.For the front,Avon just came out with a Cobra 150/80/16 in a radial.It's listed for "custom" applications.That is an exact replacement for the bias front tire.With this combination,there was a noticeable reduction in rolling resistance,and it lays very nicely into the turns.I'm a big guy and this is a big bike with lots of torque.At the rate I was going through tires,I could hardly afford to ride it.If I only get 10,000 miles out of the Federal,I'll consider this experiment a sucess.I expect to get many more miles than that out of it.Good luck on whatever u go with.Herb

Eagleeye...

IfI understand your question correctly...

The answer would be , yes.

I run a BFGoodrich T/A Radial on the rear and a bias ply Dunlop Elete III on the front, and it is working fine....

In regards to the lowering issue..again,I would have to say , yes.

The CT you mention will generally be of a smaller diameter than the stock or OEM MT you would otherwise use. Although, you don't specify the profile of the CT you mentioned, as in 165/60, 70,etc...

I have the lowering links installed, and with the BFG on the rear, I can't say that the difference is really noticeable...at least not after the third or fourth ride anyway....

You will notice almost immediately, that the front will have a lighter feel, and low speed manuvers, like a right turn from a standing stop, will be much easier.

Have you lowered the front end as well? If I understand correctly, you have only lowered the rear end using the links and went with the CT and noticed improved low speed handling. I am seriously considering the CT on the rear of mine when it comes time for new tires.

Maineac,I switched out both at the same time.Went through 2 rear tires and was switching to a CT when I noticed the front OEM Bridgestone was going squirelly like the back one did.6000 miles on OEM rear tire,went to a Dunlop 404,4000 miles later it won't pass Pa. inspection.I am meticules about air pressure,and asked the local dealer about it.They said their experiance with Royals was that they ate tires.I love the bike,am just looking for a more economical way to keep the hooves shod.Herb.

Edited by hcdagen
missed a word of explaniation

If I only get 10,000 miles out of the Federal,I'll consider this experiment a sucess.I expect to get many more miles than that out of it.

I have maybe 8000 miles on my Federal rear tire installed last summer, and I can't tell any wear at all. The thing looks like it will last me three years or more. I'll be interested to hear how you like yours when you get some miles and some time on it.

Does that Cobra radial front tire come in a WW?

Pegscraper,the Cobra isn't avaible in WWW,although there is a company that will make them so.I don't have a link,but guys on The Darkside Forum would have it.From the limited miles I've put on so far,I'm really lov'in the Cobra radial.Good luck,Herb.P.S.,now I remember u pegscraper,it was your picture of the Federal mounted on your bike that leaned me toward Federal.Thanks a bunch for the posting[& u already know about getting WWWs]

Edited by hcdagen
add note