IGNORED

how many running c/t's

gunboat

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about 500 miles on mine now and I can't tell any difference in the ride or handling. Lovin' it!

:smile5:

I've been mostly watching from a distance, but what is the preferred c/t for our 2nd gens? I've been seeing that the softer the tire the better.

Here's a picture of my old worn out Avon compared to the new Federal. Both tires are mounted and inflated. The Federal CT is a little more rounded than the old worn out Avon, but won't be as rounded as a new MT.

I'm not going to know how the Federal compares to other CTs. This is the only one I've ever done.

That doesn't look that bad...:think:

My 18 mile one way commute is 100% twisties. So when I wear out my current tire I will give it an honest try.

The only thing is... when I pull a used tire off of my bike, it doesn't look anything like yours. I can show you a set from my 750 where the tread is gone all the way to the side wall.

Edited by Gregory Gill

I've been mostly watching from a distance, but what is the preferred c/t for our 2nd gens? I've been seeing that the softer the tire the better.

There are three (BF Goodrich, Khumo & Federal) that I know of that different people are running now. I don't think any of us have been running one long enough to have changed brands yet. I know that I haven't so I can't compare the different makes.

Personally, I chose the Federal because my research showed that it was the closest (almost identical) in overall height to the original motorcycle tire, thus keeping the speedometer the same.

Jeff

That doesn't look that bad...:think:

My 18 mile one way commute is 100% twisties. So when I wear out my current tire I will give it an honest try.

The only thing is... when I pull a used tire off of my bike, it doesn't look anything like yours. I can show you a set from my 750 where the tread is gone all the way to the side wall.

Possibly, you have been running a lower psi than pegscraper, thus a wider wear pattern. My m/c tire wear was very similar to his.

Jeff

I run my dunlop tires at max rated sidewall pressure.

Then the fact that his was an Avon and yours was a Dunlop may have something to do with it. Also different road surfaces and conditions can contribute.

I don't know, just guessing. :think: My degree is in lumber, not rubber. LOL

Jeff

Maybe you have curvier roads in IA than we do in northern IN. We just don't get much sidewall time around here.

0 stop signs, 0 traffic lights, and plenty of opportunity to pass cages. Nothing but 2 lane curvy blacktop with about 800' of elevation change. Ride down the hill to work. Ride up to go home. It aint the dragon, but I arrive to work on sunny monday monrings with a smile on my face.

Some mornings are sunny when I leave, and I actually ride down through the fog until it's cloudy. Like flying a plane. :)

My Commute

Edited by Gregory Gill

There are three (BF Goodrich, Khumo & Federal) that I know of that different people are running now. I don't think any of us have been running one long enough to have changed brands yet. I know that I haven't so I can't compare the different makes.

Personally, I chose the Federal because my research showed that it was the closest (almost identical) in overall height to the original motorcycle tire, thus keeping the speedometer the same.

Jeff

Since the speedo is slow by about 9% we could use a tall tire, but then I suppose we dont have the room for them?

Thee above Pic is temporary. (same manufacture of the kit though)

Mine will be finished in about 3 weeks. on my 2000 MM RSV.. the

body is being painted today! I will post

pics if it when it is all finished.

It is made by Hannigan!

(then change my avatar) *lol*

Jeff

Since the speedo is slow by about 9% we could use a tall tire, but then I suppose we dont have the room for them?

As I recall, the other tires were shorter, but I'm not sure. I'm really not even sure what I had for lunch today. Oldtimers began setting in a few years ago.... or maybe it was last week.:think:

Jeff

As I recall, the other tires were shorter, but I'm not sure. I'm really not even sure what I had for lunch today. Oldtimers began setting in a few years ago.... or maybe it was last week.:think:

Jeff

I hear that. What was it you said again?:bang head:

0 stop signs, 0 traffic lights, and plenty of opportunity to pass cages. Nothing but 2 lane curvy blacktop with about 800' of elevation change. Ride down the hill to work. Ride up to go home. It aint the dragon, but I arrive to work on sunny monday monrings with a smile on my face.

Some mornings are sunny when I leave, and I actually ride down through the fog until it's cloudy. Like flying a plane. :)

My Commute

Yeah, there's why, right there. An arial view of our roads, you would think you're looking at a piece of graph paper.

You'd have to have a tire 9% larger, or about 2 1/2" larger, to correct for the speedometer. That size tire wouldn't fit, and it wouldn't look good even if it did.

the fedral 165 80 15 compaired to a 155 80 15 bfg,the bfg has 2 ply sidewalls,the fed has 1 ply,started to install fed,every thing went great,[using my harber tire changer]till started to beed it up,used soap,first,no go,went to rubber lube no go,poly grease,one side beeded up,bleed pressure off,tryed again,90# air,cleaned the work bench off,unbutten my shirt,blew off my glasses,---steel beed broke,no more federal for me

will get out in the sunlite for better pictures

Wild Hair,

Good thing you didn't get hurt. I just put a federal on my bike. I can relate to your frustration. What a pain in the a** to mount. I wonder if the chinese have changed the tire slightly. I had to use over 110 psi to get it to pop into place. Has anyone else needed that kind of pressure?

I just ordered a new Federal tire this weekend. I also purchased a used wheel with a brake rotor on it off ebay for $142 shipped. I'll be sure to leave the tire in the sun to heat it up to make the mounting easier.