IGNORED

how many running c/t's

gunboat

I tried to air up my Federal tire with it standing up. The wheel would drop down into the tire (not centered) and it would not seat to the wheel. I laid the wheel and tire on a barrel (horizontal) pushed the lower side of the tire down onto the wheel. This centered the tire on the wheel. I then used a band around the tire to help to get it to bead to the wheel. It only took about 75 PSI to seat the tire to the wheel.

Earl

:thumbsup:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow lowell

thats kinda scarey, glad you are ok. amazing this hasen't happened to anyone else. now i was going to install a federal tire next when i have to replace my bfg. but with the fed only being 1ply compared to the bfg 2ply. i wonder about the Kumho, Nexum,Vredestein & Coker, would like to use a 165 this time. i realy going to find out how to add pictures to my post.

best reguards

don c. :think:

wow lowell

thats kinda scarey, glad you are ok. amazing this hasen't happened to anyone else. now i was going to install a federal tire next when i have to replace my bfg. but with the fed only being 1ply compared to the bfg 2ply. i wonder about the Kumho, Nexum,Vredestein & Coker, would like to use a 165 this time. i realy going to find out how to add pictures to my post.

best reguards

don c. :think:

got a kumho my mistake,it only had 1 ply sidewall,vary soft tire,sent it back,where are you guys getting your BFG tires

must have clicked on the wrong tire,a KUMHO,showed up last evening,good looking tire more round,than to BFG,BUT i don't care for the spects on this tire,1 ply side,2 steel belts,the side wall is vary soft,1100#load,max air #44,can't seam to find spect on the other tires,BFG, FEDERAL

the BFG,has alot stronger side wall,don't know about any other tires:thumbdown::think:

Hey, wild hair 39.... Where did you find the specs on your Kumho? And what model was it you got?

I've never found the specs for the side or tread plys on mine. I'm running the Kumho Power Star 758 which is the same diameter (25.4") as the M/C tire and has a load rating of 1199-1202 lbs. The 758 does have a fairly soft sidewall but it doesn't seem to affect the handling.

lowell got my bfg at northwest tire & battery, was / is a co-company of sears. the local mall sears close to me said they didn't keep the bfg in stock. would be a couple of days before it came in. went to nt&b ( now this all to place on a sunday ) they ordered it and had it tuesday morning.

don c.

Hey, wild hair 39.... Where did you find the specs on your Kumho? And what model was it you got?

I've never found the specs for the side or tread plys on mine. I'm running the Kumho Power Star 758 which is the same diameter (25.4") as the M/C tire and has a load rating of 1199-1202 lbs. The 758 does have a fairly soft sidewall but it doesn't seem to affect the handling.

off the tires,it's self,as for raised white letters,don't know any one that can look at both sides at the same time,that goes fo hub caps,on my old 59 buick also

:buttkick:

I do know of one other Federal that let go on installation. A friend of mine had bought the same tire as me and was going to do this. But it let go when the installer put the air on it to seat the beads and walked away from it. Why in the world a guy would walk away from the tire when there's air blowing into it, I don't know. But I call this an installer problem.

Have any of you guys actually measured precisely how much a CT lowers your bike? Before I put one on, I'd like to know.

Thanks,

Steve

The 155/80R15 drops the rear end about an inch. The 165/80R15 does not drop the bike.

Just remember, eagleeye... there are more choices than just the Federal out there.

Vredestein, Nexen, Kumho, Mickey Thompson and others. I'm running the Kumho with no handling difference that I can tell. I was going to try the Vredestein next time but may go with the Mickey Thompson now.

Good Luck!

I see that Lowell ordered up a nexen tire.

I called the Nexen rep in Cal, and got the specs: 165/80-15

6.5 width

25.5 height

2 ply sidewall

Made in Korea--Oldest tire company in Korea

I'm thinking real hard on this one. I need a tire before the riding season, which is about here. I really wanted two WW, but might just have to give in here. new tire every year doesn't cut it.

Steve

DBTires can put WWs on literally any tire, which means they can put them on both sides of the same tire too. I had them do up my Federal. It's not inexpensive, but given the mileage I expect out of this tire, it's still cheaper than buying MTs. The WW material gets vulcanized right to the tire rubber. The tire looks just like it was made with them from the factory. Get the WWs wide enough and they cover up all the lettering on the tire too. It looks real smooth.

• 5 years later...
got a kumho my mistake,it only had 1 ply sidewall,vary soft tire,sent it back,where are you guys getting your BFG tires
Had a blow out on a brand new set of dunlaps last week on the way to Fla. Actually the rear went, glad I brought some extra undies with me. Man I have been riding since I was 15 and I'm 60 now and that scared me to death, I believe I lost some good years there. Running 75 on 95 going south, and I always run the middle lane, just in case I need the room. I tell you the truth I had no idea what the heck was going on,that thing went to dancing side ways. Next time I fill out a form my color be WHITE not caucasian, I was WHITE, my knuckles was WHITE, my eyes was WHITE opened, and if I am not mistaking my urine was WHITE.Praise the LORD I made it to the side of the highway and I don't recall seeing me going across 2 WHITE lines, do you get the idea I was a little scared!!! Okay about the tire, I bought a BFG at Walmart for $72.00, was looking at a Nexen for $49.00 but was out of stock on the 165 size. And you guessed it, it sure as heck was not a WHITE wall. That was a lot of information on where I got a tire, just thought you might want to know. PS. WHITE"S tire and rims was closed. Jim