IGNORED

Metzler's again

kantornado

We had a Metzler 880 marathon come apart on a run yesterday and thank goodness we were only doing 45mph at the time.

The tire shop was only a couple miles away and when we got to the shop there were 2 guys there who had there Metzler's come apart also. the date of manufacture on there tires was 08 with less the 5k miles and the guy in our group his date was 07 with a little over 6k on his tire.

I like my AVON'S and think I will stick with them. The Dunlap 2's were great on my 1st Gen and I loved how they handled. But on this 2nd Gen I will stick with AVON'S.

If your running Metzler's be careful and check them often.

We have Bikefest 08 going on out here now and bikes are everyware.................................................Ron

Thanks Brad we sure don't want you on a rant;) The guy in my group was ranting enough for all of us. Very choice words.

He about blew a gasket when the shop guy mentioned about how it might be under inflation.

He says the only time the tire was under inflated was when the tire was off the rim.

Kept talking about the reason he bought a compressor and tire gages and such.

But we know its because he had it under inflated;) any good tire company will tell you that. Because it is the only reason there tire would come apart. Lack of maintenance on our part.:moon:......................................................Ron

Guest tessa c2

you know guys this is hard to beleave, but,,,, in the spring of 05 i had put on a me 880 marathon on, and accoring to my books, at the start of each year i write down the miles in my planner, and at the end of the season the same, ,, that year i had 83716 miles on the venture i had done the stearing colume bearings as well as breaks before the riding season, went out to the shop to check, and i have 11791 miles on it as 5 minutes ago, you do the math, it's unbeleavable, yet i have gone through 4 sets of rear tires in the same span:stickpoke:

Guest tessa c2

like that is 28075 miles on it, and it is to the piont where you check it but i know i have a couple thousand miles left on it yet

When is Metz gonna get a clue that they have a batch of crap tires? People on several boards are saying the same thing abot them.

My dad has always run Metz on his Voyager. I told him about the problem discussed here and other boards. I think he is rethinking his next tire purchase. I hope, anyhow.

Lots of motocycle tires seem to shred.....I have been SERIOUSLY contimplating going to the "darkside" I have seen videos of car tires on bike and the radials round out just like a bike tire when you are moving....better sidewalls, better treadware, longer life on the tread....seriously thinking about it.:scratchchin:

I too had the 880 shread on us, two up pulling the trailer. a peace about the size of a tennis ball came off. we were 120 home word bound, from St. Augustine Fl., I did'nt see the chunk missing till the following week, when I brought the bike in for service, to grease the rear HUB AGAIN.....just saw a black spot on the tire, and thought I hit a water spot on the service garage floor.

OMFG, we could have been KILLED!!!!!!!!!!, and what do you think they replaced it with? another Metzler, this time a 180/80/16. I check the tires all the time now. I tell the wife, I'd rather be late, then dead..........

What size mets are yall running. Curious about this because we have been running 170/80/15 on the handa magna's my wife and brothers bikes, with no problems.

But have heard on the street and in obviously in this forum about problems with mets and the venture.

In 03 to 05 we had a problem on the valkyries with the avon rear tire, know of several of those that just blew, low mileage. The one that went on my bike only had 1500 miles on it, and believe or not I had just checked the tire before we left on the ride. Still have an Avon on the frount with 18,900 miles on it with more to go. Have never heard of a frount tire problem with the avons.

I'll add something here, even though I will never put one on any bike I own. It seems to be just with the heavy bikes that I have heard them failing on and always the rears. All the HD's I heard them failing on were the Ultras and comparable sized bikes.

I'll add something here, even though I will never put one on any bike I own. It seems to be just with the heavy bikes that I have heard them failing on and always the rears. All the HD's I heard them failing on were the Ultras and comparable sized bikes.

Which just plain tells ya that these tires aren't being designed for the loads required of them. I know of many lighter weight bikes which have the Metzelers on em without a hint of any problems.

Larry