IGNORED

TIRES

pas0047

I am getting ready to replace my second set of dunlops. I have 18,000 miles on my 05 RSV midnight and I have gotten approximately 7,500 miles out of each. I am really tired of spening the money for the same tire and having them wear out so fast. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on what tires to look in to next. I live in NJ and I ride 365 with the exception of sno covered roads. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know. I am on a racing slick in the rear and the front is not far behind. I only ride two up a hand full of times a year and the rest is commuting, tours and rides each weekend. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I read all the time about folks getting poor mileage on Dunlop 404's. I have over 10,000 miles on my 06 MRSV and if it weren't for trying to ride to Ft.Collins I could probably get another 3,000 out of them around here. "Giggles rides a good bit with me and I do pull the trailer on occasion". Here in Mississippi almost all of our roads are the old cheap tar-n-chip cover ups. You know they spray tar and then just sprinkle crushed rock over it. So I'd say 90% of my riding has been on these type of roads. You would think that these are the worst type of roads for tire wear. The rear is showing signs of cupping now but, still rides smooth. I just bought another set of 404's WWW to put back on the bike to see how they look and last. I will probably keep my old ones and through them back on sometime to run them out. If I don't like the WWW's I will probably try either the Commanders or another brand just to try something different.

Dog

I'm running the Michelin Commanders right now to try them out, so far I have no complaints.

I have usually run Avon Venoms and I really like them, have had 3 sets between 1 1st gen and 1 2nd gen I got about 13K out of the last set on my '99 and that was going cross country pulling a trailer and loaded heavy with 2 up.

We'll see if the Michelins will stand up to that :confused24:

• 5 months later...

I currently have 17,000 miles on my rear Metzler 880 and I think it will still go another 1500 miles. The secret is to check the air pressure regularly and run maximum air pressure which is 49 pounds in the rear. Jbird

I Just Had A Set Of Metzlers Put On Because I Didnt Have A Choice. When They First Put Them I Had Handlebar Shake From About 35 To 48 Mph Now 1 Month Later 4 Front Tires And 2 Rears The Shake Is About Gone What Is Left They Say Yamaha Calls Normal. I Am 6'4 360 Lbs So 1 Up Is Like 2 For Most But The Tires Dont Seem To Handle Very Well At All. They Do Ride Smooth But When Cornering They Just Feel Loose The Dunlops I Had Up To 3000 Miles Did A Great Job And Handled Well. I Am About To Order Another Set Of Tires To Replace These Because I Just Dont Feel Comfortable On These.i Think I Will Probally Go Back To Dunlops. The Ones I Took Off Had Very Little Wear And By Judging I Would Think They Probally Would Go To About 10k I Do Have My Front Dulop 404 With 2983 Miles On It. Someone Can Have For The Ups Charge To Ship It To Them The Rear Also But Has A Small Nail Hole In It (dead Center)

Yogi

Ive never tried the Michelins but I have the Metz880s. The metz started chunking rubber at 1700 miles,i\I am a fanatic about checking air pressure,I could have had the dealer swap tires under warranty but I had Avons prior and figured I would go back to them..I will NEVER have anything but them,(Avons that is). They make the bike feel 300 lbs lighter and cornering is effortless plus they do not follow the road snakes,or cut outs in the road like my Dunlops did that came on the bike. You will find the majority of us are running either Michelin or Avons....At Ft Collins I was surprised at how many of us run the Avons. Tom

I have a Dunlop Elite III on the rear of my RSV that has 19,000 on it with probably another 4 or 5,000 left. The tire has pretty hard rubber, hasn't slipped with me but I usually tippy toe around in the rain. I'll probably buy another when this one is gone.

Jerry