IGNORED

Please Read and RELAX

I'd like to know which focus groups they went to on the engine though. Go to a v-twin group and that is the answer you get. Go to a group riding liquid cooled 4 cylinders and that is the answer you'll get. I reiterate though....the SVCT is the best on the touring market today, but do lament what could have been. All those bells and whistles plus a V4? Mind you, they wanted a low centre of gravity and they get that with the V-twin. Win-win for Yamaha. Anyone looking at Harley or other twin touring bike has to look at the SVCT and it should come out on top for value.

Sorry Freebird...kind of off your original topic....but do want new owners of the SVCT know that I/we do like their ride.

I read several pages of the VOG link....until it became repetitive then skipped to the end....where they had to lock the thread because of the bashing going on. Never see those kind of attacks on other members here.

Gotta pick on you but I thought it was star venture touring continental? Which would make smurfette SVTC [emoji4]

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smurfette being the name of my blue SVTC[emoji24][emoji24]

Gotta pick on you but I thought it was star venture touring continental? Which would make smurfette SVTC [emoji4]

Gotta pick on you but I thought it was star venture touring continental? Which would make smurfette SVTC [emoji4]....

I stand corrected. It is Monday, fingers reversed what my mind was telling them, but was consistent ....S - V - T - C

:bowdown:

Its actually I actually Star Venture TRANS Continental.

I agree.

I do think it's a shame that Yamaha went their own way ALL THE WAY when it comes to styling this machine (which is hot like fire), but went with focus group findings when choosing the power plant. I can't fault them for it though; they are in business to sell motorcycles, in as great a quantity as possible.

I simply feel that, had they modified the new VMAX monster mill for this bike, the gap between the SVTC and the competition would have been much larger, both figuratively and literally. Can you just imagine how handily it would SMOKE the competition with something like 120 lb/ft and 170 hp?

As suggested by others above, the proof is in the riding. Yamaha is doing their power tour right now; I think I'll go try one.

I would not have minded a 1700cc V4, but it would have drastically changed the low speed handling and made the bike too heavy for sure. Also, there’s the PRICE POINT of the bike. Already people have complained about the price of this technological behemoth. If they would have gone with the V4 every body wanted, you can tack another $3k-$4k on the price tag.

Ya know Gunny,,,,, sometimes I am a little slow and thick skulled,,, ok,,,, sometimes its a lot more than sometimes that I am thick skulled and slow.. After reading what you wrote here I too gotta agree with ya, enough already. This is gonna be hard for me cause I am truly a :stickpoke:and a :witch_brew: at heart and absolutely LOVE the debate (unlike most of you lop eared varmints who did great in College Math AND in Debate,,,, I only excelled in Debate class but I REALLY did well there,,, :think:,, probably cause I always wayyy over did it - like in this case:scratchchin:) but I promise that I am going to back off on my 3rd Gen jabs.. I am truly sorry for the grief my over zealousness has caused you and the other new members.

Thank you for once again taking the time to point out the issue Gunny,, I only wish I could of caught on to it before this last :stickpoke: with American that appears to have ended with his pulling up his tent stakes from VR.. For that I make a club wide apology as the last thing I need to be doing is chasing away new members = sorry about that gang..

In an asserted effort to change courses here,,, I am going try something.. American made the comment that I never made reference to anything I liked about the SVTC,,, seriously,,, I can see that happening.. I think I will end this apology with this FACT:

I LOVE the looks/style and aggressiveness of the front end of the new Venture!!!!!!!!!! :178:

Apology accepted Puc & thank you. Now let’s get the “Ho Down” started talking about why we ride and where’s some great places to ride and the “Hoot Nanny Shenanigans” that go down at them thar meetings many of us haven’t had the privilege of enjoying YET!

Apology accepted Puc & thank you. Now let’s get the “Ho Down” started talking about why we ride and where’s some great places to ride and the “Hoot Nanny Shenanigans” that go down at them thar meetings many of us haven’t had the privilege of enjoying YET!

And thanks for the forgiveness Gunny - it's appreciated my friend!! One of Tip and my very favorite all time rides is from Stewards Point on "1" out on the west coast of California to Geyserville via "Skaggs Springs Road".. Sort of like a bicycle trail for motorcycles with lots of awesome hairpins thru a natural Red Wood forest..

How bout yours?

Wonder if you should start a whole new thread about this,,,, betcha there are THOUSANDS of really cool rides for us to discover by probing some of the minds of the masters here in the club and asking this!!!!!!!!!!:biker:

I'll add my 2¢ (ok, maybe 3¢) here.

I'd been considering my next bike purchase for a while. I had a 2011 Victory Cross Roads and wanted a bike with a fairing.

I'm also a V-Twin fan for reasons that, admittedly, may not entirely be technical.

For some time my top contenders were:

- Victory Vision: Dropped off the list when Victory was shut down

- Indian Roadmaster: Didn't like the fact that the fairing was fork-mounted, and the styling is a bit too traditional for me

- Honda Goldwing: Not a V-Twin

When the new Venture came out, I had to work hard to curb my excitement. I did eventually buy it, but it was almost a full year after the announcement. The V-Twin, for me, was a positive, and if some of the videos are to be believed, allowed for a larger gas tank as well.

I am smitten by this bike, and I am now a happy member of the Yamaha family.

That said, I haven't personally received any negative comments on my purchase here, regardless of intent, humorous or otherwise.

Such comments (which I characterize as good natured ribbing) are a common occurrence in online forums, and motorcycle communities in particular (ask any Harley owner among jap bike communities, or vice-versa). I don't take such chatter seriously or personally, but unfortunately some people do. For those folks, I wish them well, but I fear they will be hard-pressed to find anywhere online where everyone agrees 100% with their opinions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you asked any member of this forum if the SVCT is the best bike available on the market today, you'll probably get a 99% "YES!" Ask the same members if Yamaha should have put a 4 cylinder in it, again, you'll get a resounding "YES". .

Put me in this group. I've made this same point in several threads a bunch of times.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

One of the things a like most about the biker community is how passionate we are about riding.

We always need to be mindful that passionate = emotional (at least when it comes to all things bike related). You'd never make a negative comment about someone's life partner's appearance just because he/she didn't suit your tastes.

It can sorta be like that about a person's bike choice. I am mindful of this and tread lightly.

When communicating, either sending a message or receiving a message, it takes work to be mindful of how our thousand year old lizard part of the brain may mess with rational part of the brain.

As online social media sites go, I've never run into a group that seems to innately practice this mindfulness more than the "varmints" on this site do.

As an aside, I was on this site years ago when I bought a used 2002 2nd gen, but faded away for no reason. Remembered how helpful it was this spring when I was looking to replace my 2012 2nd gen. Couldn't remember my old user id or email address I used back then, so created this brand new account. Overall vibe of the group is as positive now as it was back then. Good on y'all!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I'll add my 2¢ (ok, maybe 3¢) here.

I'd been considering my next bike purchase for a while. I had a 2011 Victory Cross Roads and wanted a bike with a fairing.

I'm also a V-Twin fan for reasons that, admittedly, may not entirely be technical.

For some time my top contenders were:

- Victory Vision: Dropped off the list when Victory was shut down

- Indian Roadmaster: Didn't like the fact that the fairing was fork-mounted, and the styling is a bit too traditional for me

- Honda Goldwing: Not a V-Twin

When the new Venture came out, I had to work hard to curb my excitement. I did eventually buy it, but it was almost a full year after the announcement. The V-Twin, for me, was a positive, and if some of the videos are to be believed, allowed for a larger gas tank as well.

I am smitten by this bike, and I am now a happy member of the Yamaha family.

That said, I haven't personally received any negative comments on my purchase here, regardless of intent, humorous or otherwise.

Such comments (which I characterize as good natured ribbing) are a common occurrence in online forums, and motorcycle communities in particular (ask any Harley owner among jap bike communities, or vice-versa). I don't take such chatter seriously or personally, but unfortunately some people do. For those folks, I wish them well, but I fear they will be hard-pressed to find anywhere online where everyone agrees 100% with their opinions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a real love for air cooled VW, and today there is 0 technical justification for it. If I built another rail, it would be air cooled VW hands down, why? Cant explain, it is just the way it is. Emotional justification to ones self is all that is needed, if the machine stirrs the soul as you snap it to life and fasten your lid then anyone elses opinion of that bike means about as much as a royal wedding or the flavor of dirt on Mars. Just ease the clutch out and leave all the vamping and chatter behind.

The gen3 is not likely suited to my needs but I'm glad it is to yours, "smitten" is all she wrote, no further explanation needed. Im glad you love the bike and im glad your here to share your experiences. Of course, if your ever in the Black Hills look me up, there is some damn fine riding up in these parts and would love to have any members here stop by, regardless of what your riding. One day if we dont get nuked we will argue single vs, 3 phase. :banana:

Wow I missed the party..

I have some thoughts on the matter. I ran into something similar some years back on a well established forum.

There were "class" divides, this often lead to off topic post's which lead to defensive posturing.

Maybe a disadvantage to me but I learned reading and writing rather late in life and unfortunately, assembling alphabet isn't easy for me. As a result I really need to think through what I write, also need to remember to write concidering the OP is likely under some stress or emotional influence.

When we combine those traits in a forum setting sometimes things spill over and doors begin to slam.

Gen 3 should be a growth opportunity for the community, just like Gen 1.5 could of been; we're taller, heavier and like 4 time the pony's!

A forum is not a library, it is an exchange - and therefore badgering has no place, and this need be a golden rule, and is not just my opinion.

A "newbie" needs more then a welcome, usually he benefits form tweaks and passed down experience to engage him/her not just directions to the library, speaking in general terms of course.

YOU can not assemble a group of boys with toys without leadership! So Mod's must moderate before cutoff.

If this or any forum does not grow then stop buying calendars the witching hour is just around the corner.

These old bikes still sell because there remains a support network, so this forum remains relevant, yet can't be close minded to new design and evolution, in fact it should be a learning and comparison experience or simply growth. (maybe some envy)

Freebird have you thought about contacting a Yamaha rep? Open a day for an open communication with this group... Or a meet up in CANADA because you know we Canadians are so politely analytical;)

I haven't yet to read the party attendants comments, but it remains just one thread amongst how many..

Eck if you're still following; Buddy it's easy to give up the habit - this trick works for me every time, "new to you girlfriend", you know they just completely rip you away from all else;)

Patch

Awe man I go away for a few days and miss all the good stuff? Was laying in a hospital bed at UPenn having a stem cell harvest. Sorta puts alot of things in perspective. Really sorry I missed MD and seeing some of the nicest people I have met in the last 12 yrs. Well maybe not quite as nice as those Oncology nurses. :big-grin-emoticon:

Craig

Awe man I go away for a few days and miss all the good stuff? Was laying in a hospital bed at UPenn having a stem cell harvest. Sorta puts alot of things in perspective. Really sorry I missed MD and seeing some of the nicest people I have met in the last 12 yrs. Well maybe not quite as nice as those Oncology nurses. :big-grin-emoticon:

Craig

Glad you’re back home Craig and Howie you get feeling better

Craig

Craig, I hope the process is going well and that its not taking too much out of you.

Craig

For real brother = you didnt miss nothing my friend!!! PLEASE KNOW my thoughts and prayers are with you Craig while you fight the fight that REALLY matters!!!

Prayers Up and God Bless!!

Puc

• 2 weeks later...

Freebird,

It may be for the best that you not test ride the New Venture. I had completely refurbished my '09 Kawasaki Voyager, intending to keep it for another 94k miles... then I did the demo ride of the New SVTC.... Yep I promptly sold the Voyager and bought the Venture. Love, love, love it.

I believe you. That is why I have made no effort to ride one or even go look at one. I know I would want it and just can't justify a new bike. Just not riding as much as we used to. I could sell my RSV and the Slingshot and would still need to come up with probably $10,000.00 more to buy it. I'm pretty happy with what I have right now.

• 1 year later...
Yep,,, that :stirthepot: business is a real flaw in my character... I too wish you would reconsider here American and accept my open apology for any form of personal attacks that you may feel that I committed toward you. I assure you that I try to not let that happen in my :stirthepot: but I do know that I get out of hand at times - I am sorry if that has been the case here. Concerning my opinions of the new scoot, truly,,,, I have had discussions with MANY club members here and other than a couple of them - most of them think I am nuts.. VideoArizona rode his 2nd Gen here and stayed with us last week and he and I went round and round like a couple of teenagers in the V-Twin/V-4 debate - it was a BLAST.. Nothing personal,,,, just differences in opinion concerning a machine...

I say we just accept each others differences of opinions, shake hands and then you come up here to Michigan for an all you can eat Hot Dog extravaganza ON ME!!!!! Ride that gorgeous new scoot up here,,, I'll give you "Star" billing (pun intended) and do everything in my power to get a good turnout for the event so you can show off your bike..

VentureRider.org is an amazing place full of really great people and, personally,, I think you would be missing out on a lot if you let my opinions about anything stand in your way of hammering out a good relationship with the people here.. I wouldnt let me stand in my way of developing something really special if I was you,,, did I say that right :think:

Uh Oh, as you can probably see this is my first post, so bear with me here.

Michigan? my second wife was from Marquette so I can now see the problem you are having. It's not that you are rude or mean to these guys, it's just the way you are. so now you have competition here, I love to stir the pot and see how it smells,,well sometimes,, this post is a year old so i will see if i can make it come alive again..howdy Yall!!! from Nashville, Tn.

Just pickin here,, if anyone gets near Nashville on the west side give me a shout send a text to 615 --- 406 --- 7908 and I can show you some sites or buy you a cup of coffee or something..

Edited by Jesset

I believe you. That is why I have made no effort to ride one or even go look at one. I know I would want it and just can't justify a new bike. Just not riding as much as we used to. I could sell my RSV and the Slingshot and would still need to come up with probably $10,000.00 more to buy it. I'm pretty happy with what I have right now.

How times changed EH?

:stirthepot: :think: :confused24: :whistling: :bang head: