IGNORED

Might not do Glacier this year...

Chaharly

Hey guys, planning that trip on July 1st through the 18th up through yellowstone and into glacier. Being that its been such a cool, wet year, I'm starting to doubt that its going to be the friendliest motorcycling territory that early in the year. I've been thinking about quitting my job next summer and riding north into the Canadian Rockies and spend some months riding up there.

That leaves me a few decisions for this year. I could go through yellowstone and continue to shoot west and get into Washington, Oregon, and hit the west coast.

OR I could head south

I havent seen the Grand Canyon yet and the only desert I've ridden through is I-80 and Highway 50 through Nevada.

Of course I could always go east or southeast. Head into the Ozarks and maybe even get the tail of the dragon involved.

So I guess I'm asking for some advice.

Where the heck should I go?!?!

Tough question to answer? When I get the itch I simply pick a compass point then head off, I don't do rallies, drinking and parties, just not my thing. I am not one that enjoys the major highways for long distances, I like to roam in and thru small towns, maybe do some people watching off a park bench, taking my time to get a feel for the lay of the land thinking often who how and why the town came to be settled, I can study an old post office building or town hall for hours; I'm sure people must think me strange.

When weather is good I like to pitch tent, like to be near shore lines. I get a big kick out of watching young families spending time playing ball or those little somethins moms and dads do in parks and markets local to them; as far back as the late 70's I've always found that to be pleasant moments.

Then there are days I ride like my tires need burning, never sure what I'm chasing other than time itself;) for those rides nothing does it quite like Norther Ontario for me, 17 all the way.

I like a map for those rides a GPS just don't cut it; and I keep a log of the days, places and some numbers of the new friends I meet tho I never call em up.

I guess Cha it really depends on the mood you find yourself in before heading out. A long ride has a grand plan but not a defendant plan; really riding on a heading just seems to evolve as the adventure unfolds.

And one thing for certain in my case I need easy riding days mixed into those time chasing days or, I get a touch reckless as I tend to ride alone there's only myself to discipline my pace;) know what I mean Cha?

A lot of good points. I sometimes like to get up the morning of departure and look at the weather map, whichever way looks best is the way we go. We look at it each evening and morning and turn accordingly. We've found some cool things that way just watching for signs or locals to talk to. That's how we plan to end up at MD just spending a week meandering north east.

Cha if you decide to go east and do the Tail of the Dragon go into Va. to Tazwell and take RT.16 to Marion Va. That is the back of the Dragon. 33 miles and you can't find a 1/4 mile straight in it. Then go into southern WV. and ride some of those fantastic roads.

This Year, Chaharly?

ANYWHERE but NORTH!!!~

We're working on assumptions here, BUT the Cold Weather has been around 'way too long. There's a high probability nothing to The North will be comfy. Also quite likely pretty messy, as things begin settling down.

Something that might help narrow down the Choices; hope it helps a little.

Rgds, WRIDR

We are having the Vogel rally this year. Its alternately called The Tail of the Dragon rally as its held at Vogel State Park in Georgia which is on US 129 which becomes known as the Dragon just to the north where it crosses from North Carolina into Tennessee.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?139469-Vogel-2019

14-18 August

Anywhere you've listed is too fun to only do once!! So, my thought is to do it this year and next year and the next year... You get the idea.:bikersmilie:

Oh yeah, I could definitely do Colorado again. and again. and again. and again lol

Grand Canyon. Says it all. Sunrise or sunset the colors are beyond awesome.

:farmer:

Are the first two weeks in July going to be too hot to do the Grand Canyon?

See @WRIDR and me are thinking the same page. North is going to be a bad direction this year, unless they get some crazy heat within the next month. You guys know what they say though, the best laid plans are the ones destined to fail!

@Steven_G and @RDawson . I'm probably going to do like you guys do. Check the weather, grab the Michelin Road map and hit the road! When I went to California I only had nine days, so If I were to get caught In weather on that trip I would have had to have just sucked it up. However, since I've got 18 days, I might just ride around the weather and see where the road takes me.

We just came back from a cager camping trip in Eminence, Missouri and really I could ride those nicely paved county roads every day. Really beautiful country out there.

@slowrollwv whats the traffic situation out that way? When I picture going east I picture tons and tons of people and its kind of a turn off for me!

I'd love to get to Vogel but that's a month late :Avatars_Gee_George:

Well Cha if you do find yourself on the pretty side of the Great lakes, there's a trick to finding company I learned here on the forum.

Mention to the Babes that you are Carl's young taller brother seems to bring smiles and favor:) oh and don't forget to leave his number with them just in case they need to get hold of ya!

I'd stay the course and make a general heading toward Glacier.. CTFW up into Yellow Stone from the south entrance,, thru Jackson Hole,,, watching the mountain weather as I traveled.. If it looks cold and snowy,, forget it and skirt around ol Yeller around the west side so your not catching the mountain weather.. If doable, I'd drop a tent inside Yellow Stone and exit the west entrance to avoid longgg lines of slow MTR Homes and head up across Montana toward Browning (east side of Glacier ) but would be taking my time exploring the National Forest out there. TONS of awesome CTFW and AWESOME tent dropping opportunities to play with the Bear, Elk, Deer and the like = C 1st Vid. The Road To The Sun (GORGEOUS) is 50/50 on being open that time of year IMHO. Ya just gotta take toss caution to the wind and accept the fact that it may be blowed shut again BUT that is part of CTFW IMHO.. Either way,, it's always best to have WARM clothes if your gonna play in the mountains,, any of em from my expeirence.

If I got froze/rained out while tossing the intersection coin while CTFW (our CTFW MO = no map = no GPS = toss and coin and let it decide left or right turns) I would indeed head to the Canyon and the surrounding National Parks. The North Rim is where I would head,, much better off road instant camping and WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,, camping on the rim is FANTASTIC!! Also, Kanab Utah is a fun town and located between Zion NP and the North Rim. Also, the ride around the Canyon up thru Page and then down to the South Rim is GREAT!! If ya get to the South Rim, drop down to Flag and then down 89A to Sodonna and then down a little farther to Jerome AZ = YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!! By the way, when heading to Page from Kanab Utah, maybe take a second for some Ghost Towning = before you get to Page is a good time to begin that process. We followed a trail back to one once that was an AWESOME ride (C 2nd Vid) = AWESOME overnighter back there too = sleep with the tent down and hug the ground,, you can still hear the wagons rolling in to build the town that is long gone!!

Another really often overlooked CTFW adventure would be the Flaming Gorge ride. If I got chased outa Montana cause of foul weather, I would drop down to Buffalo Wyoming, take the cut across over the Big Horns to Ten Sleep (UNBELIEVABLE BEAUTY) and then CTFW down to Green River WY and set a course around the EAST side of the Gorge. Then I would ride the edge. I would also make sure that my ride down th east side of the Gorge was before 1 p.m. as it takes the sun shining into the gorge to make it REALLY flame up in endless beauty. If you ride the west side you cant get as close to the edge of the gorge = still GREAT riding but just not able to see as much of the gorge IMHO. I would follow the gorge down into the Uinta mountain range (the only mountain range in the U.S. that runs East and West as far as I have ridden and FULL of awesome camping and WOWZY wildlife) and then drift west into Utah, hook onto 15 and head south toward Zion but dont miss the NP's along the way..

My gosh Cha,, I just wrote a book,, sorry bout that,, to answer your question = short version = yep, I would head to Glacier and see what happens :big-grin-emoticon: and KNOW that Tweeks, Tip and I wish you NOTHING but the greatest of adVenture no matter where you decide to CTFW brother!!

In spite of politics and people that live in it, we live in a truly beautiful country no matter which direction you go! Try to see every bit of it in your lifetime!!!

Yep we're gonna brave NY politics and all those Yankees up there next week. I'll give you a yell when we get up that way.

I'd stay the course and make a general heading toward Glacier.. CTFW up into Yellow Stone from the south entrance,, thru Jackson Hole,,, watching the mountain weather as I traveled.. If it looks cold and snowy,, forget it and skirt around ol Yeller around the west side so your not catching the mountain weather.. If doable, I'd drop a tent inside Yellow Stone and exit the west entrance to avoid longgg lines of slow MTR Homes and head up across Montana toward Browning (east side of Glacier ) but would be taking my time exploring the National Forest out there. TONS of awesome CTFW and AWESOME tent dropping opportunities to play with the Bear, Elk, Deer and the like = C 1st Vid. The Road To The Sun (GORGEOUS) is 50/50 on being open that time of year IMHO. Ya just gotta take toss caution to the wind and accept the fact that it may be blowed shut again BUT that is part of CTFW IMHO.. Either way,, it's always best to have WARM clothes if your gonna play in the mountains,, any of em from my expeirence.

If I got froze/rained out while tossing the intersection coin while CTFW (our CTFW MO = no map = no GPS = toss and coin and let it decide left or right turns) I would indeed head to the Canyon and the surrounding National Parks. The North Rim is where I would head,, much better off road instant camping and WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,, camping on the rim is FANTASTIC!! Also, Kanab Utah is a fun town and located between Zion NP and the North Rim. Also, the ride around the Canyon up thru Page and then down to the South Rim is GREAT!! If ya get to the South Rim, drop down to Flag and then down 89A to Sodonna and then down a little farther to Jerome AZ = YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!! By the way, when heading to Page from Kanab Utah, maybe take a second for some Ghost Towning = before you get to Page is a good time to begin that process. We followed a trail back to one once that was an AWESOME ride (C 2nd Vid) = AWESOME overnighter back there too = sleep with the tent down and hug the ground,, you can still hear the wagons rolling in to build the town that is long gone!!

Another really often overlooked CTFW adventure would be the Flaming Gorge ride. If I got chased outa Montana cause of foul weather, I would drop down to Buffalo Wyoming, take the cut across over the Big Horns to Ten Sleep (UNBELIEVABLE BEAUTY) and then CTFW down to Green River WY and set a course around the EAST side of the Gorge. Then I would ride the edge. I would also make sure that my ride down th east side of the Gorge was before 1 p.m. as it takes the sun shining into the gorge to make it REALLY flame up in endless beauty. If you ride the west side you cant get as close to the edge of the gorge = still GREAT riding but just not able to see as much of the gorge IMHO. I would follow the gorge down into the Uinta mountain range (the only mountain range in the U.S. that runs East and West as far as I have ridden and FULL of awesome camping and WOWZY wildlife) and then drift west into Utah, hook onto 15 and head south toward Zion but dont miss the NP's along the way..

My gosh Cha,, I just wrote a book,, sorry bout that,, to answer your question = short version = yep, I would head to Glacier and see what happens :big-grin-emoticon: and KNOW that Tweeks, Tip and I wish you NOTHING but the greatest of adVenture no matter where you decide to CTFW brother!!

Just the backdrop of the mountains in the first video has my mouth ABSOLUTELY salivating for a ride! Now see, I've seen your Ten Sleep video before of the Flaming Gorge and actually was planning on making the big horn mountains on the first night. I never heard of the flaming gorge until I saw your vids. I plan on spending the morning taking in the gorgeous views. And those shots of the two track leading into that big valley in Utah are STUNNING. Now see I gotta ask. I remember you saying in previous posts that when camping in bear country, you park the bike a good bit away from your tent and leave any stinky food in Tweaks so she can fend the bears off for herself. In that first video she's sitting pretty close to tha tent! I remember your videos of ghost towning too. To me that would be the ultimate camping experience. Nothing but the sound of the breeze and coyotes in the distance, and like you said, you can feel the history still pulsing through the ground. People back then were remarkable. Heading out into the unknown like that. Especially when they never had Weather Apps and could only travel what 15 to 30 miles a day max?

So basically, what you guys have helped me decide is to take my itinerary with a grain of salt. Like @bongobobny said, there is beauty all over this great country, regardless of the politics behind them! Well now I'm DEFINITELY in the CTFW mood and I might have to start putting the tool sets together to get the bike ready a month early!

Thanks for the well wishes Puc, Tip, and Tweaks and I'm sending positive vibes right back atcha!

Well Cha if you do find yourself on the pretty side of the Great lakes, there's a trick to finding company I learned here on the forum.

Mention to the Babes that you are Carl's young taller brother seems to bring smiles and favor:) oh and don't forget to leave his number with them just in case they need to get hold of ya!

Well wouldn't all those babes have Carl's number by now?!

Cha the traffic is not bad on the two lanes but can get a little crowded on the four lane. The Tail of the Dragon is not fun on the weekend at all.

Okay cool! We took a trip into Ohio one time and yeah, the traffic (in areas) could be super unforgivable. If I had enough time I wouldn't stop CTFW and hit the whole country... hell the whole continent

Just the backdrop of the mountains in the first video has my mouth ABSOLUTELY salivating for a ride! Now see, I've seen your Ten Sleep video before of the Flaming Gorge and actually was planning on making the big horn mountains on the first night. I never heard of the flaming gorge until I saw your vids. I plan on spending the morning taking in the gorgeous views. And those shots of the two track leading into that big valley in Utah are STUNNING. Now see I gotta ask. I remember you saying in previous posts that when camping in bear country, you park the bike a good bit away from your tent and leave any stinky food in Tweaks so she can fend the bears off for herself. In that first video she's sitting pretty close to tha tent! I remember your videos of ghost towning too. To me that would be the ultimate camping experience. Nothing but the sound of the breeze and coyotes in the distance, and like you said, you can feel the history still pulsing through the ground. People back then were remarkable. Heading out into the unknown like that. Especially when they never had Weather Apps and could only travel what 15 to 30 miles a day max?

So basically, what you guys have helped me decide is to take my itinerary with a grain of salt. Like bongobobny said, there is beauty all over this great country, regardless of the politics behind them! Well now I'm DEFINITELY in the CTFW mood and I might have to start putting the tool sets together to get the bike ready a month early!

Thanks for the well wishes Puc, Tip, and Tweaks and I'm sending positive vibes right back atcha!

Thats only cause your forgetting to switch the tape measure in your lop eared young man varmint's brain over to geezer measurement Cha - 1' = 50' in geezerdom :missingtooth:..

That said, here are a couple vids of geezer camping in NON Grizz country.. Notice the difference in distance between these and the one of the three of us camping in Grizzland above? :big-grin-emoticon:

and basically,, YES,, that is what we are saying = when it comes to CTFW, that grain of salt routine is the way to go IMHO:biker::biker::biker::beer::happy34:!!

Man that valley in Utah is exactly my type of camping! So neat and sky for miles! I think I'm getting strange in my old age though. These fertile nebraska valleys get prettier and prettier to me every year. Thats okay though, these are positive side effects to aging unlike the 50 foot mis measurements :stirthepot:

I have to say though puc, in your videos you ask Tip what the date is... GOOD ON YOU BROTHER! Man I would love to be able to have the kind of time to get truly lost like that! Honest to God true CTFW right there. Leaving a town in Colorado, low 30s. My bike puked and puked and puked out antifreeze but It fixed itself. All new O-rings and thermostat housing and it hasn't done that. If it gets real cold like that I'm gonna really be digging these new heated grips.

Oh you guys are soooo funny. Yeah no wonder no one knows what those mountains are made out of ha ha ha :bang head:

In the last post you've showed me that video before. I explained to my parents how I'd camp cowpuc style and would be willing to take a gravel road up to a radio tower to have a free campground. I think my parents think you're crazy though bud... Showing off those muscles might as well call ya a musclehead.

Thanks for more of those vids. Got to CTFW today to my brother in law's fathers funeral. What an amazing, touching service it was. He was in AA for 25 years and has helped hundreds of people through rough times. So many people went up to speak about how he's helped save them and how great of a guy he was. I mean its pretty incredible when the service ends with Bob Marley's "Every Little Thing is Gonna be Alright" and the entire place clapping. He had a love of restoring cars and he owned a 99 Indian that my brother in law is going to start riding and man what a beautiful bike it is. His nickname was "Grandpa Goofy" and on his tank on the indian logo is goofy painted hanging onto the "I"

Sorry to change the subject like that, but the man lived every minute of his life and now I'm sitting here burning with an intense desire to ride! Take care guys!