IGNORED

Honda ST 1100 - Just Thinking

Evan

A buddie is thinking of selling his. Never rode one. Reviews look good. Anyone know these bikes Orchards have any opinions?

Just thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Great bikes but not for the long of leg. Riders tend to change seats like underwear but seldom find the answer. the pillion position is marginal. Bought a perfect low mile ST11 rode it 3000 miles home. Tried five different seats but never got comfortable enough for long runs, sold it the next year. That's why I am here for the forward foot location on a G2

I'm 6'3" with a bony butt and structural problems in my back.

My feelings are they are a pretty decent bike, but never rode one so can't comment. You know as well as I do, Evan, you have to swing a leg over before you can make any judgement at all. Usually that's when you know whether or not a particular bike is right for you or not...

I rode a buddy's for about an hour. Couldn't wait to get off. Lets just say they're not made for old fat guys with bad knees. A young slim fellow like you might love it.

Easy now,, he's worked a long time to get where he is.

I had one for a couple of years. Good if you are skinny and not too tall.You can get extentions for the handlebars if needed.One of the easiest bikes I have even been on.It has a big gas tank and gets great fuel milage.I great bike to ride in the rain with no fear.I was not keen on the riding position myself.Put your leg over it and see.You might like it.The police use to use them.They are fast and light.

I have test ridden them a couple times. Had this hankering awhile back to get a sport tourer. It's a good bike, but, its kinda getting dated, Honda has sat on there laurels for a while with that bike. It is missing a key thing for me if i"m gonna "tour", cruise control. Yammy upped their game by putting cruise on the FJR, not sure why Honda and Kawi are sleeping on the ST and Connie. Zzzzzzzzzz.

I've done a lot of reading on the ST1300 which is fuel injected. the ST1100 is carbed. According to what I've read, it handles better at low speed than the other sport tourers and gets better mileage, possibly because it doesn't have quite as much hp as the Concours and FJR in the upper rpm ranges. the only real negative I remember reading is that the 1300 puts a lot of heat on your legs. Some folks also complained about the sound it makes. It sounds like a turbine rather than a motorcycle. There also is a lot of discussion on the internet about a high speed weave with the 1300. Some bikes seem to have it and others don't. But, it doesn't occur until well over 100 mph. But, a cop in Europe supposedly crashed and died due to the high speed instability and the police depts over there got rid of the ST1300s. Some switched to the FJR. I have not ridden one. I'd love to ride one though!

Here is a link showing police riding competition with the ST1300.

Interesting comments. Again, just thinking, and it started when I ran across a guy that I really connected with, who has it for sale. Like me, he has been riding for over 50 years and he is a member of the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Club. His current problem, like mine, is aging parents. What got me a bit more interested is that the few goodies on the bike address some of the concerns from your posts (thanks) and that I had based on my quick look at reviews. For example, it has a corbin seat with passenger backrest, bar risers and more protective MRA Laminar windshield (it also has heated grips, halogen headlights and a few other goodies) plus an impressive maintenance history. Plus, I like the colour. With all that said, I'm still just thinking, and would have to satisfy myself that my wife would like the ride before I do any more thinking about it.

1998 ST1100.jpg

Hi Evan,

Deja Vu, there is one for sale here in Welland that I saw and am thinking of checking it out to replace the RSV. I have always liked the sport tourers, my biggest concern is if it would be big enough for both Tammie and myself to travel on.

Mike

I have 95 St1100 with a Corbin seat and lower foot pegs. I like the bike except for I,m 6'5", after an hour your knees get sore from the angle that their at. Yes there are some aftermarket hwy pegs you can buy to stretch your legs but in my legs would still be at an bent angle. My bike still has the stock 25 amp Alt which is trouble prone. In 96 Honda went to a 35 amp Alt. Both expensive to change. I have changed the timing belt, coolant hoses and installed a volt meter plus added fork brace which seems to help a little with handling . Fun bike to ride for a short ride ( for me anyway) and I have my RSV or RSTD to go on longer rides.

Interesting comments. Again, just thinking, and it started when I ran across a guy that I really connected with, who has it for sale. Like me, he has been riding for over 50 years and he is a member of the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Club. His current problem, like mine, is aging parents. What got me a bit more interested is that the few goodies on the bike address some of the concerns from your posts (thanks) and that I had based on my quick look at reviews. For example, it has a corbin seat with passenger backrest, bar risers and more protective MRA Laminar windshield (it also has heated grips, halogen headlights and a few other goodies) plus an impressive maintenance history. Plus, I like the colour. With all that said, I'm still just thinking, and would have to satisfy myself that my wife would like the ride before I do any more thinking about it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]106321[/ATTACH]

That is a gorgeous scoot. But, I still don't see Cruise Control listed. Gotta have that for it to be a serious tourer. IMO.