IGNORED

34lb Eskimo dog kills 63" Rattlesnake

yamagrl

Last Saturday, Bella, our 34 lb Eskimo Dog went to battle with a 5'3" Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake right in the middle of our backyard. This mature snake had lost it's rattle... It was basically a silent killer living in our neighborhood.

5VYqUOrojZCLlrkLvEIPCSgM6jjw2Ke9GqIBv9_1Vxo=w225-h207-p-no P4QxE5xVFfZZmP3swVFHYKTfPKKQ-Lr2_nkIZ5Ux2u8=w368-h207-p-no

Bella was bitten 4 times... on her snout, ear, arm and inside of her mouth. She too, inflicted several (4) fatal bites... 2 of which broke the snakes spine, 1 penetrated it's intestinal tract.

We had been out to breakfast for about 2 hours. When we came home and discovered the situation, Bella was deep under a fairly good-size shed. We had to cut the floor out with a circular saw to rescue her. At the Animal Emergency Hospital she received 2 vials of Antivenin but did not recover. Minutes before passing she gave us a hearty tail-wag

She was a fierce warrior! She laid down her life and because of it our neighborhood is a safer place...

...But still... I miss my friend...

In Bella's honor I have skinned the snake and it is in tanning solution. I will post a photo when it is complete.

OH my goodness!!!! My most sincere condolances to you guys for your loss. Your friend and protector was a true hero! Losing a family member is a terrible thing, I am praying for you folks and, with time and Gods grace, hope you find peace in your hearts knowing Bella saved someones life!!

Bella, THANK YOU precious for your valor and courage, showing once again that Dogs ARE truely man's best friends!

Puc

Last Saturday, Bella, our 34 lb Eskimo Dog went to battle with a 5'3" Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake right in the middle of our backyard. This mature snake had lost it's rattle... It was basically a silent killer living in our neighborhood.

5VYqUOrojZCLlrkLvEIPCSgM6jjw2Ke9GqIBv9_1Vxo=w225-h207-p-no P4QxE5xVFfZZmP3swVFHYKTfPKKQ-Lr2_nkIZ5Ux2u8=w368-h207-p-no

Bella was bitten 4 times... on her snout, ear, arm and inside of her mouth. She too, inflicted several (4) fatal bites... 2 of which broke the snakes spine, 1 penetrated it's intestinal tract.

We had been out to breakfast for about 2 hours. When we came home and discovered the situation, Bella was deep under a fairly good-size shed. We had to cut the floor out with a circular saw to rescue her. At the Animal Emergency Hospital she received 2 vials of Antivenin but did not recover. Minutes before passing she gave us a hearty tail-wag

She was a fierce warrior! She laid down her life and because of it our neighborhood is a safer place...

...But still... I miss my friend...

In Bella's honor I have skinned the snake and it is in tanning solution. I will post a photo when it is complete.

Thank you to each and everyone who has viewed and/or replied. Your condolences, comfort and sympathetic understanding has been welcome and frankly... very much needed. Thank you sooo very much.

For those of you who are not familiar with the breed, it is actually the German Spitz. The breed name was changed during WW2. They really have no other connection to America or Eskimos.

As the evolution of dog breeds go, they are still relatively primitive. They were bred down out of the larger Nordic breeds for companionship, warmth (sleeping with), burglar-alarm and bodyguard. And they are pretty good at it. When challenged, they can be fierce...such as a badger or a wolverine.

But for sleeping with, they are just about like any other pillow... flip it over, flop it around, throw it off if it's in the way... whatever. They are also extremely clean with virtually no smell, not even much "wet-dog" smell.

But some can be temperamental.

...still... I miss my friend...

Was saddened to hear this. They do become a part of the family don't they. We had a female Brindle pit show up at our door 4 years ago pretty well beat up. We took her to vet and ended up keeping her. She is such a gentle dog which surprises me as I am sure she went through he** by the looks of her. Son in law had a male pit, we bred them and had the cutest pups. Could not find a home for 3 of them so ended up keeping them also. Was not going to take them to the pound. So now we have 4. My condolences:(.