IGNORED

Bike build off

Guest scarylarry

Sr has too big of an ego. Jr is okay. Jesse is an old skool motorcycle guy. Gas Monkey's well they are a crazy bunch but i guess are trying to get bigger into the bike world.

I truly have to say I am glad that American Chopper is FINALLY going off air. I have never liked Sr and most of his show bikes were junk and barely ran. He was all about money and never about bikes. Jr did the right thing by getting away from daddy. His bikes became better once he left. I have always liked Jesse's bikes because they were true customs made from ground up with his parts. Any one can order parts and put together a bike if they try hard enough.

This is just my 2 cents.

After seeing the finished product of all 4 shops...I believe:

Gas Monkey Garage's bike is too plain jane chopper, with nothing really special about it. Yes, I know they took a 1967 generator Shovelhead bike, and that is an uncommon bike, but in the end, their bike will finish in 4th place.

Jesse James' bike is now finished, even though he asked for an additional two weeks, which quite frankly was not fair to the other builders. In the end, Jesse built a bike that in looks...looks very similar to what Paul Sr. built. Yes, their bikes are different, but they look similar. And complain all he wants to, Jesse did not hand build every inch of his bike. He ordered the engine from a custom builder, a 120" engine. In the end, Jesse's bike will finish in 3rd place.

Paul Sr. (what a dip wad), did in fact actually build a motorcycle this time, and it is nice, and unique. I like his bike, BUT...from the audience point of view, and from looks alone, his bike looks similar to what Jesse built. In the end, Paul Sr.'s bike will finish in 2nd place.

Paul Jr., PJD and team, once again built a very cool designed bike. Of course this is my opinion. I get that. But I am paid very well for my opinions. I love that he incorporated the designs of the automotive lines and engineering of the 30's and 40's cars. Given that the other three shops are all seriously into cars (Paul Sr. has a huge private collection of cars), then the other shops should appreciate the design of Paul Jr.'s bike. I love how they built the exhaust system, to make it look like one half of a V-8 header pipe. The OEM old-school headlight bucket from a real old car was a nice touch.

When all is said and done, the bike from PJD, Paul Jr. should finish in 1st place...again.:backinmyday:

Sr has too big of an ego. Jr is okay. Jesse is an old skool motorcycle guy. Gas Monkey's well they are a crazy bunch but i guess are trying to get bigger into the bike world.

I truly have to say I am glad that American Chopper is FINALLY going off air. I have never liked Sr and most of his show bikes were junk and barely ran. He was all about money and never about bikes. Jr did the right thing by getting away from daddy. His bikes became better once he left. I have always liked Jesse's bikes because they were true customs made from ground up with his parts. Any one can order parts and put together a bike if they try hard enough.

This is just my 2 cents.

I second that emotion - I would just as soon watch a test pattern - for those that don't know what a test pattern is, ask anybody over 50 years old.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:happy65: :happy65: :happy65: :happy65: :happy65: :happy65: :happy65: :happy65:

As I predicted, Paul Jr. did in fact win the biker build off, for the second year in a row.

I was wrong about the guys from Gas Monkey Garage, as it turns out they took 2nd place, and I predicted 4th place for them. I guess a lot of people that text and tweet like pink motorcycles.

And the other two poopy-heads, they tied for last place. For some reason Jesse James, (whom I know well) did not remember that someone else, years ago, came up with the idea of a H-D sportsbike. It was Eric Buell, and for several years his Buell bikes, in collaboration with, and eventually bought out by H-D, were a nice sportsbike with an H-D engine. Jesse must have been high during all those years, because he has the opinion that he is the first builder in the world to ever design a H-D powered sportsbike.

Well...duh...Paul Sr. did the same thing, built an H-D powered sportsbike, and finished his a month before Jesse did.

Ultimately...Paul Jr., and the team at PJD did the best job in design, and blew everyone away for two years in a row.:backinmyday:

OK my opinion of the bikes, not the builders. My opinion of the builders is not who I like, but more who I dislike the least...

Paul Sr's bike was a very radical concept for the frame and I really liked it for what it was, but as with just about all of the custom made bikes, not my idea of a reliable and well handling high tech machine. I personally liked the looks except for the front suspension. I was almost expecting it to be #1 or #2.

Jesse James bike looked like a cross between a modern sports bike and an old Honda toaster tank! I do recognize his talents as a "build everything from scratch" person and it was a lot better bike than he built last year. He looked rediculous on that one with a low riding position and extremely high front end peering under the handlebars to see where he was going. Shame, because the bike setting by itself looked great. This year's bike was rather ho hum. Yup, Mr Buell would have been proud of Jesse 20 years ago...

Paul Jr's bike was a cool looking "Theme" bike and I appreciated the look but if he really wanted a car type bike he should have used a car engine!! Those custom headers on a Vtwin looked stupid!! If he was going to use a V8 emblem he should have put a flathead engine in it!! I was surprised to see it take 1st but I guess it is just a reflection of the taste and mentality of the American public...

Gas Monkey's bike was a true representation of what the term "Chopper" means, but it was unfortunately a plain jane. Kudos for the fact it was driven, not trailered to the show. Of the 4 it is the only practical bike that truly can be ridden anywhere. IMHO it deserved the #2 spot it got!

I didn't watch the whole thing nor did I really want to. It was more of a cross between a soap opera and the Jerry Springer show. Anybody watch Amish Mafia???

Paul Jr's bike was a cool looking "Theme" bike and I appreciated the look but if he really wanted a car type bike he should have used a car engine!! Those custom headers on a Vtwin looked stupid!! If he was going to use a V8 emblem he should have put a flathead engine in it!! I was surprised to see it take 1st but I guess it is just a reflection of the taste and mentality of the American public...

Gas Monkey's bike was a true representation of what the term "Chopper" means, but it was unfortunately a plain jane. Kudos for the fact it was driven, not trailered to the show. Of the 4 it is the only practical bike that truly can be ridden anywhere. IMHO it deserved the #2 spot it got!

I didn't watch the whole thing nor did I really want to. It was more of a cross between a soap opera and the Jerry Springer show. Anybody watch Amish Mafia???

Bob, given that my wife is from Rochester, and went to college in Buffalo, I will not say anything bad about your comments, as I have learned to not speak ill to NY's. :)

You have a point on Paul Jr.'s bike, but if had had in fact used a Flat-Head V-8, the other builders would have picked on him for using a CAR engine. Yes, it would have looked good with a 85 hp dual waterpump Ford V-8, but he would not be able to get away with it. The texting and twittering public would have tore him up. Personally, once I saw the custom made V-8 badge he made for the bike, I think it would have been better to use an original OEM Ford V-8 badge, the chrome one from the late 30's. Now, I personally liked the exhaust sytem he made. I think it looks good. But the large...Made in NEW YORK...badge he made for just above the exhaust (okay, I know you like it because you are from NY), but I think it would have been better to say...Made in America, or USA.

You are right that Gas Monkey made a real, old school, original "chopper". That is from my era. And I like that, BUT...in todays world, 2012, the voting public with all their texting and twittering (urg) does not appreciate an old school original chopper. They did build a real chopper, from the way that choppers were originated, but today...they needed tom take it a step further. I do agree with you that after all was said and done...they did deserve 2nd place.

Yes, it was a soap opera, and I wish I could have just cut to the very last 5 minutes of the 3 1/2 hour long show, but...they have to pay for their advertisers. I did watch the entire show, which did drag out. But was happy that PJD won again.

Amish Mafia, wasn't that the new Soap Opera?:backinmyday:

Part of the rules should have been meet say at the exite ramp to go up to Vegas and ride your creation to Vegas. No run-no drivable-no compete.

Not been a big fan of the american chopper thing. I have watched ocasionaly. but who in the heck paid for all them themed bikes they built, and who in the #ell rides that kind of thing?

I really like Bert and Ernies bike. They were done on time, on task and rode the damn thing 1400 miles. I didnt think it had enough for twitter idiots public to win. Just not enough "Ta-Da" for them. I was glad to see them get an honorable mention. And the color was ++

PJD-Was cool looking and obisously had the most "public apeal". Could you ride the thing more than across town? Probably not.

Seniors bike was cool in design. Space/monoque frame design was out there. They did make the majority of the parts and bits. Tie for 3rd in my book.

JJ's bike was a tinker's dream. Fidgit with this make that all cool stuff. But unless your a real gearhead they dont look that close at that kind of stuff I bet. And when he started talking about a sport bike yada yada I too thought Buel. If he wanted to be unique on his build he should have went with a different motor. Maybe one of the old Kawasaki 750 triples or something, suzuki water buffalo something outside the box.

Slightly off topic but Miles brought it up.

It was just on the local news the Eric Buell has secured the financing to reopen Buell Motorcycles again right here in Wisconsin.

http://fox6now.com/2012/07/19/erik-buell-jump-starting-new-company-line-of-bikes/

http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/top-stories/2012/12/11/ge-capital-to-provide-floorplan-financing-for-erik-buell-racing/

Back to your regularly scheduled programing.

Edited by Flyinfool

I believe the Gas Monkey bike (Shovelhead) was purchased from a local shop in Knoxville, TN (www.bikerrags.com). Jeff and Pam (owners of Biker Rags) had bought the bike from Wheels Thru Time in Maggie Valley, NC. The show contacted Jeff and Pam, made arrangements to pick up the bike and there were some behind the scenes arrangements made that seemed to want to bypass Jeff and Pam and Biker Rags by possibly saying the bike was purchased elsewhere. I missed the show so I'm not sure how the bike was presented on TV. Jeff and Pam are very nice folks, and I am glad that their bike at least finished near the top.

Gas monkey was my top choice. Jr's bike I liked too but it's been there done that looks: Drab black, red, white and pin stripes. I did think that if you put a light behind it and saw the shadow on the wall it looked like the OCC logo to me. Didn't like Jessie's or Sr's bike.

Yes watched Amish Mafia. Didn't quite get the show. They said certain parts were reenacted. So we're those guys the actual people or actors? I didn't see anything that looked reenacted, but then again it is reality TV. Bet Levi is getting the revenue off that show and not the Amish community. He is the money controller after all and people are already scheming to knock the king off the mountain.

That guy in the trailer must have not been packing or else the guy that visited his house wouldn't be breathing. You come onto my property, make accusations without proof (guy was accused of hitting and pretty much ruining a buggy. Thankfully the person that owned the buggy wasn't hurt), were told to leave the property but instead go to your car get a weapon and fire a shot through my car. I have every right to defend myself and my property video taped or not. Personally I would prefer it videotaped as it shows I was threatened. And on top of all that the guy that fired the shot lied and said no one was home. Or at least that's how they portrayed it in the episode.

I picked the Gas Monkey bike too. I thought the James bike looked like a piece of crap, and it took him 6 weeks longer to build. I didn't like the OCC bike either. Junior's bike was cool but it didnt look like anything I'd want to ride. Gas monkey built a true chopper, and he did it in a garage instead of a factory.