IGNORED

Just a thought on bearings

Kirby

Since Outcast was stuck in SC with a front wheel bearing gone bad, it got me to thinking. Wouldn't it be a good thing if we could do some research and see if parts could be found that would work in a pinch such as this. I'm thinking most bearings could be cross matched with something from the automotive line or even heavy equipment house. Is there some way to use the oem part number and find out what the actual dimensions are for a given bearing, such as the front wheel bearing without having to dismantle someone's bike to measure the bearing? I think this could turn out to be a good thing if someone is broke down far from home on the weekend. As was stated in the other post, most metric dealers are closed on Sunday and Monday. What if a bearing could be had from, God forbid I would even suggest this, a Harley dealer! A lot of them are open on Sundays.

It's not a standard sized bearing. Go figure. The dimensions are 22mm id x 44mm od x12mm wide. A standard 6004 bearing is 20x42x12 and a 6005 is 25x47x12. The seals are 28x44x7mm. These don't show up as standard seals either, as far as I can find. The closest standard seal I found is 28x44x6mm.

https://www.denniskirk.com/front-wheel-bearing-and-seal-kit.p123122.prd

In most cases multiply the last nbr by 5 will give you the bore size......eg 6004.....4x5=20 mm.....6205....5x5=25mm.

In my 20 years in the bearing business Yamaha were the worst for having odd size bearings.

Keith, This is good to know.. I never knew this.. thanks for the heads up info..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as we are on the subject of bearings. How long should you go before changing them. I have a little of 30k and will be changing the front tire soon. Would it be a good idea to change them while I have the tire off?

Hunter, I had 68k plus miles on my RSV and never had an issue with bearings.

Also, I have been known to take curves at a higher speed then most thus placing more strain on the bearings.

The 83 has the original bearings in the front wheel....140,000 miles. I'm thinking that I really should change those though. I've had more problems with the rear wheel bearings than the front. There's a lot more weight, heat, and dirt in the rear.

There was a Venture bearing interchange chart going around (I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else) for the 1st Gens. I purchased the right rear wheel bearing (not the needle bearing) from Motion Industries (an industrial supply house) for about 1/3 of what Yammie wanted. Do the 2nd Gens. use different front bearings than the 1st Gens? The left rear wheel bearing (the needle bearing) on the 1st and 2nd Gens are the same, so that means the right rear is 'Probably' the same.

Frank D.

interesting,when I decided to do the wheel bearings on my 86 ( admitedly a 1st gen) the only bearing and seal I couldn't get from Kaman Bearing was the needle bearing for the final drive and I was given to understand that it is proprietary to Yamaha.

Paul,

Do you have the part number for the front wheel bearings (I've got the right rear bearing number)? How about the seal numbers also?

Frank D.

I'd have to see one out in my hand. Based on the Yamaha part number 93306-00420-00 and description should just be a 6004 bearing for the 2nd gens and it fits a bunch of Yamaha bikes. Traditionally with yamaha the bearing number is imbedded in the part number when its a common bearing. boats.net indicates the part number is obosolete however?? http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-93306-00420-00.html

First gen bearing is different than Royal star 2nd gen bearing

We have a miller bearing store and they have always been able to match up bearings when I have been in there.

Edited by RSTDdog

Paul,

Do you have the part number for the front wheel bearings (I've got the right rear bearing number)? How about the seal numbers also?

Frank D.

OEM Yamaha Part number for the 1986 Venture front wheel is 93306-30309-00 Based on that it should be a 6303 bearing. This also fits a ton of stuff and various applications.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-93306-30309-00.html they are 15.00 each from boats .net. Not sure you can find a quality bearing a whole lot cheaper.

I have on occassion found that a bearing shop will be more expensive for an NSK or NTN bearing than the NSK or NTN by the OEM part number. Remember bearings are not all created equal.

RSTDdog

As long as we are on the subject of bearings. How long should you go before changing them. I have a little of 30k and will be changing the front tire soon. Would it be a good idea to change them while I have the tire off?

I replaced my front bearings at 65k when I had the wheels chromed. There was nothing to indicate that the bearings were worn. I always shot some Honda Moly 60 grease into the bearings whenever the wheel was down for tire replacement. I used a needle injector and worked its point into the rubber of the bearings and wiggled it between the rollers and gave it a squeeze. Did this at 1/4 intervals. Rear wheel too. So, figure on "greasing" them every 12k, which is when I changed my tires.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hunter, I had 68k plus miles on my RSV and never had an issue with bearings.

Also, I have been known to take curves at a higher speed then most thus placing more strain on the bearings. Ya almost as fast as a ups truck but not quite hu.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to conclude my "lost on the road" story. Never got a crossover to the B6004 number. Removed bearings were NSK 60/22DU . I purchased the All Balls kit 41-3414. The bearings in that kit are KML 60/22-2RD. Maybe this will help some else crossover. But might as well get the kit as you will also probably need the "oil" seals.

As for this thread about carrying extra bearings on trips, I am sure glad I ending up NOT trying this along the road. The OK bearing was no problem, a long blunt instrument and careful tapping from behind drove out both the bearing and seal intact, in about 5 minutes. The "bad" bearing had completely come apart, the inner race and balls came out with the axle. The outer race sits down and bottoms in a pocket. The long blunt instrument from behind will NOT contact the inner race. You CANNOT get behind the race to catch it with an "inside" bearing puller. The only place to catch it is the tapered groove the balls ride in. Prying from the front is futile. 3 hours later, by mis-applying a "pilot bearing puller", using a pair of channel locks to catch the legs of the puller on, and heavy beating on the puller from behind with the blunt tool, the outer race was out.

sigh

but all is well with that now. My suggestion, when in doubt change them. My bike has 67k miles

Just a "heads-up" ...

I have been hearing concerns about "All-Balls" bearings recently, with some front wheel bearings lasting 10 000 miles.

It might be wise to try to get Japanese bearings rather than Chinese ....

Just passing this along.

As I said in my other post, The bearings are odd sizes. Bearings are normally sized in 5mm bore size increments (6004, 6204, 6304 = 20mm and 6005, 6205, 6305 = 25mm). The right side rear wheel bearing is a ball bearing with a 22mm bore and is labelled as a 60/22. I have found no interchange for it. A normal 6022 would have a bore diameter of 110mm. The left side bearing is an oddball cylindrical bearing that I have found no interchange for, either. I work in a bearing manufacturing company and have gone through their books with no luck.

trivia.

The Japanese ball bearing company KOYO makes ball bearings here in Dahlonega, GA. (also in Japan,of course).

They bought the plant from Timken.

I got to take a tour of the plant this year with a Chamber of Commerce group.

Thanks to all the responses. My original intent of this question was to find another application for the same bearings, much like we know that you don't have to buy an oil or fuel filter from the dealer that just happens to be closed for the next 2 days. The purpose was in case someone got broke down they might be able to go to a car dealer or some other completely different service center where they might use the same bearings for a totally different application and purchase the bearings from them. I think if we somehow could get a list started of different applications for the same bearing or seals or whatever, it might keep someone from having to call off a vacation or such because they couldn't find a certain bearing at the nearest motorcycle dealership. For example, say this same bearing might be used in a transmission of, let's just say, an Allison or a Nissan. Whether it will or not, I don't know but I'm pretty sure Yamaha isn't the only one that uses this bearing.

• 1 year later...
I replaced my front bearings at 65k when I had the wheels chromed. There was nothing to indicate that the bearings were worn. I always shot some Honda Moly 60 grease into the bearings whenever the wheel was down for tire replacement. I used a needle injector and worked its point into the rubber of the bearings and wiggled it between the rollers and gave it a squeeze. Did this at 1/4 intervals. Rear wheel too. So, figure on "greasing" them every 12k, which is when I changed my tires.

This !! I also do this, shoot some greese with needle attachment every time I have a wheel OFF. So far have not had a bearing failure in the last 30 years !! :whistling: