IGNORED

Fellow VR Hello

Iron Horse ike

I am new to the forum and have already learned a great deal. Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas. I look forward to meeting new friends thanks to a good friend of mine who introduced me to this forum. Thanks KIC

I bought my "83" Venture back in October 2011 with only 5,400 miles and it now has 7,400. It's a great ride. I understand she's known on the forum as a 1st gen. Sorry 2nd gen'ers...lol :stirthepot: Haha, had to say that... Just kidding... Thanks again and great riding...

Edited by Iron Horse ike
Bad speller...lol

Oh My Gosh !!! You joined ! Now I have to call off the hit squad. :shock3:

You need to post pictures of your 1st Gen beauty. It's a classy bike. :happy65:

Glad to have help building the Southern Arizona 1st Gen squad. :cool10:

Wow thats not much mileage, you got a long way to go before you have to worry about 2nd gear, which is what I am doing to my 83 now.....pamper the tranny and you may not have to worry about it for a while. They usually start acting up around 60-65,000 miles. Mine finally quit working at 88,000 miles. So go easy on the tranny and your good to go. That is the only problem that the 83's suffered from, and they are the fastest Ventures around. Just ask any 1 Gen owner. Of course you know your post is really useless without pics, that the first rule of VR, you gotta post pics of your bike...............that is rule numero uno here at VR.

I am new to the forum and have already learned a great deal. Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas. I look forward to meeting new friends thanks to a good friend of mine who introduced me to this forum. Thanks KIC

I bought my "83" Venture back in October 2011 with only 5,400 miles and it now has 7,400. It's a great ride. I understand she's known on the forum as a 1st gen. Sorry 2nd gen'ers...lol :stirthepot: Haha, had to say that... Just kidding... Thanks again and great riding...

Wow, talk about a young looking blonde, looks like you have one.

Do you know much history on the bike? Has it always been from the Arizona area? 5,400 miles in 28 years is averaging less than 200 miles per year.

As far as the 2nd gear issue, I doubt that babying the trans makes much difference. For sure, shifting gentle may cause the dogs to drag more rather than a good firm shift which engages quicker.

The part that wears to the point that it causes the second gear problem is a big spring that pushes against a thrust washer that was not made hard enough from Yamaha up until part way into the 1985 model. As the thrust washer wears, it reduces the amount of engagement and at some point it starts to jump.

I recently changed to Rotella T oil that is made for diesel engines and believe it reduced the normal whine that comes with these engines. I wonder if it could also reduce the amount of wear on the thrust washer?

My 83 now has about 152,000 miles on it and it still runs great and I can assure you that it has not been babied. Welcome to the crazy bunch here and you don't need to be shy.

RandyA

Welcome aboard.

But you are actually admitting to knowing and hanging around with KIC???????

So much to learn..........

You know the old saying.."keep your friends close and your enemies closer" :shock3: He'll have to tell you which category I fit into ..:rotf:

You know the old saying.."keep your friends close and your enemies closer" :shock3: He'll have to tell you which category I fit into ..:rotf:

KIC who???:confused07:

Haha, It's all good. We've known each other for some 25-30 years now. Heck, I've even had to take a barbed fish hook out of his finger once. Oh, the good ol' days...

Welcome aboard.

But you are actually admitting to knowing and hanging around with KIC???????

So much to learn..........

Ooops, meant to go here...lol I'll figure it out...haha

KIC who???:confused07:

Haha, It's all good. We've known each other for some 25-30 years now. Heck, I've even had to take a barbed fish hook out of his finger once. Oh, the good ol' days...

• 3 weeks later...

Now would be a good time to add to the gussets on the frame under the rear of the engine. The weak crosstube (thin wall and too much twisting load) that holds the lower rear engine mount and centerstand brackets and lower shock relay arm pivot has a history of breaking on the '83 and early '84 bikes.

Inspect it now for cracks and weld some additional gussets or braces before the tube cracks and drops you rear suspension onto the tire. Not all the bikes will develop the break but it should be inspected annually to look for the failure early before the crack develops into a full break of the cross tube.

I was lucky and discovered mine while it was just cracked (at about 50,000 miles) and just cleaned up the surrounding area and welded additional gussets bridging the weak areas on both sides of the lower cross frame tube. It has been three years since the repair and still no signs of the new repair cracking or showing any signs of failure. I check it each spring while up on the lift and doing my pre-season inspection and swingarm greasing.

Search around and you will find reference material on the possible fixes and failures of this frame weakness.

Welcome to the site. Glad your joining in on the all the haveck going on here. Best bunch I ever read after. Some smart-elics and some kinda smart to........ Beautiful bike there ....... We all like pictures, we have rules about pictures, we need them !

Fuzzy :LIME: :sign It wasnt me: :whistling:

Welcome to the site. Glad your joining in on the all the haveck going on here. Best bunch I ever read after. Some smart-elics and some kinda smart to........ Beautiful bike there ....... We all like pictures, we have rules about pictures, we need them !

Fuzzy :LIME: :sign It wasnt me: :whistling:

Thank you,

By the looks of it, I'll be needing all the past experience help from here down the road. Thanks in advance to all!