IGNORED

Advice To All and Young Folk in Particular -NOT A JOKE

SilvrT

Due to a recent and somewhat unexpected situation, I find myself compelled to pass this advice on to all who may be interested.

It is advice I give you based on personal experience. TAKE IT and live by it so you don't end up where I am today.

First.

Prepare for your future. Save for your retirement. Save it in such a way that NOBODY else can touch it. When you get to my age and you realize the impact this has on the rest of your life ... you will be so glad you took this advice.

Second.

DO NOT ever be "Mr Good Guy" in matters pertaining to an ex or soon to be ex-spouse. PROTECT YOURSELF legally and financially. TAKE CARE of YOUR INTERESTS. Let them worry about theirs.

I say these things to you for your benefit. I wish someone had drilled them into my head when I was younger.

Good advice! I know all to well what you mean. I'm going through the same as I speak. It really SUCKS what depression/bipolar issues and the like can do to a relationship. It's hard to believe the things that come out of her mouth. They also hurt very much to say the least.

Bill

In most states, if a couple has been married for any length of time, each one has equal share in any and ALL assets accrued during that marriage.

The only hope either partner has is that a civil and equitable distribution can be accomplished.

Perhaps I was lucky 30 + years ago in that we were able to agree - she took a medium sized sack of cash, a couple pieces of my favorite antiques and I got everything else, the house, the bills, and anything else that resembled debt.

Yeah, believe it or not, I do consider myself lucky

Good Luck with your present situation -

Yeah, believe it or not, I do consider myself lucky

You can buy happiness. Mine cost me $257/week for quite a few years, but now it's all paid off.:cool10:

Back to the original post. My current wife and I have always lived within our means and saved for the future. Last year we earned about $250/month on dividends and interest. Beats the heck out of being on the other side of that equation.

What stinks about it though is by the time we retire Social Security will probably be means tested. Since we've saved we won't "need" as much and we'll end up subsidizing our neighbors who could have done the same as us but instead regularly had new cars, vacations and other luxuries.

Too many couples marry for better, or for worse, but not for good.

If a man has enough horse sense to treat his wife like a thoroughbred, she will never turn into an old nag.

Also speaking from experience...not necessarily so!

:sign yeah that:

Our next anniversary will be our 35th. Couldn't have found a better woman so I need not worry about the contents of this thread.

oh yea? that's what I thought at 28 years ...

you just never know what the future holds ... until it gets here and bites you hard in the butt.

My ex is after me for 50 grand. If she gets it, I am screwed for the rest of my life considering the age I am now (65) and the fact that I'm about 60 grand short of that.

I'll spare ya'll the details for the time being but ya'll might be talkin to me behind bars some day as it will be a frozen day in hell before I pay her.

All the best to you tho.

Too many couples marry for better, or for worse, but not for good.

If a man has enough horse sense to treat his wife like a thoroughbred, she will never turn into an old nag.

If you started out with good stock that will work but I've never seen anybody turn a jack ass into a thoroughbred.:stirthepot:

If you started out with good stock that will work but I've never seen anybody turn a jack ass into a thoroughbred.:stirthepot:

True enuf but I know of at least one thoroughbred that has became an old nag and is now jackass (or is it 'tother way 'round) .... :bang head:

Sorry too hear about your situation. i went through that from 2007 to 2009. I also started late in my retirement savings compared to others. Luckily I got to keep my pension in order to pay off the house and give it to her debt free. I also paided off three major credit cards and her car loan.And I'm on the last 18 months of 6 years of (alimony)Maintenance payments. I feel your pain.