IGNORED

what should I see when i ride NewFoundland

motorcycle_1300

a group of us have decided to ride to Newfoundland next summer. There will be three couples on five bikes we plan to spend 6 or 7 days there, about three to get up to there and three back for about two weeks total. Are there ferry services at both ends of Route 1. what are the must see places, will we need to plan carefully to avoid running out of gas or are stations spaced reasonably close, last summer on a sunday morning we ended up running on fumes looking for a gas station (that was open) in the cape bretton area. In nova scotia we never bothered to make hotel reservations, we were able to ride untill something or someplace caught our eye and rooms were always availible. Can we expect the same in Newfoundland? Some Newfie want to plan our trip for us?

Al

:fingers-crossed-emo

i would suggest taking to Argentia ferry to St Johns and do the loop back to Port aux Basques ferry.

places to visit

St Johns - look at staying at The Battery hotel with a harbourview

- signal hill

- see George street, most bars per capita than anywhere in Canada

- many riding loops from this town , stay a few days and enjoy

Terra Nova Park

Bonavista - very scenic

Twillingate- iceberg boat tour

Rocky Harbour / Gross Morin Park. rent a cabin and stay a couple of days so you can do a ride north and have a place to come back to.

Port aux Port, great scentic and riding loop

lots of lighthouses from Port aux Basques down to Rose Blanche

do not worry about gas as they are dotted along the highway in the larger towns. we always gassed up in the morning before heading out and if we were at half or 1/4 tank and seen a gas station we would stop.

you are going to be amazed at freindliness of the people.

cheers, Scott

Thanks Mother, we are planing on doing the east coast next summer as well. I've been to George street, awesome!

i would suggest taking to Argentia ferry to St Johns and do the loop back to Port aux Basques ferry.

places to visit

St Johns - look at staying at The Battery hotel with a harbourview

- signal hill

- see George street, most bars per capita than anywhere in Canada

- many riding loops from this town , stay a few days and enjoy

Terra Nova Park

Bonavista - very scenic

Twillingate- iceberg boat tour

Rocky Harbour / Gross Morin Park. rent a cabin and stay a couple of days so you can do a ride north and have a place to come back to.

Port aux Port, great scentic and riding loop

lots of lighthouses from Port aux Basques down to Rose Blanche

do not worry about gas as they are dotted along the highway in the larger towns. we always gassed up in the morning before heading out and if we were at half or 1/4 tank and seen a gas station we would stop.

you are going to be amazed at freindliness of the people.

cheers, Scott

Book your ferry passage early and unless you want to sleep in a recliner get yourself a cabin........nice to get a shower before hitting the road and a few hrs sleep. We always get a cabin....bit expense but worth it.

When the time to travel gets closer get in touch....

keith

Mother; thanks thats just the kind of info we needed..

yes we went to Nova Scotia last summer we were very well welcomed, everywhere we went folks would ask us how we were enjoying our trip. folks would just walk up while we were stopped for gas and start chatting with us, once I set my suspicious nature aside it was great. I have taken the ferry from bar harbor to NS a couple times and found a cabin was a great idea. I have to admit I alwasy thought of NL as a small island( about the size of PEI), but once I actually looked at it on a map I realized how wrong I was, so I turned to the friendly folks here for advice. Again thanks for all the suggestions

Al