IGNORED

What did you say ???

FuzzyRSTD

I know a lot of us bike riders are kinda hard of hearing. My case is that and my wife has talked me into taking a hearing test. I have had a problem with this for a while now. To the point that I am having trouble at home and work understanding what people say. It is very embarrassing for me sometimes. I feel so stupid sometimes, but that is what I heard. So my question is for those that are wearing hearing aids and what should I get or do ? Brand, the most comfortable and the ones that really work. My hearing test is next Wednesday at 10:00 am. I will know more then. Just wanting to get a heads up from those who have been there and done this.

Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions....... Please type loudly ... Loud pipes do save lives, and also hard on your hearing.

Uuuuuh, Whattttt you Sayyy ? Fuzzy

Fuzzy ... THANKS FOR POSTING THIS

It has acted as a reminder that I need to get mine checked as I have had a hearing problem too for quite a long time. When I am in with several people, all talking, I can't make out what any of them are saying... it's all just a big BUZZ of noise to me.

huh?

I never understood and still don't understand why those who have hearing issues refuse to admit them and get a hearing aid. Hell, I want to hear all the gossip!!!!:D

When my dad noticed his hearing was getting bad in one ear, he went right away and got one and he's very happy with his. I don't know the brand, etc., but basically it's a clear plastic tube that goes in his ear from the hearing aid, which sits behind his ear. He also wears glasses and he's very happy with it. :)

He has been known to turn it down, though, when I'm in a boisterous mood and being kinda loud!! LOL:rotf:

Good luck and good for you for doing something about it. :happy34:

Two years ago I finally got my digital hearing aids. They worked OK but when in a crowd the background noise made them useless. I haven't worn them since last November. After spending $3,000 my wife is not happy, but I am since I can hear most of the time and I am not blasted when in a crowd.

:farmer:

I have Phonak micro aids that work great for me. My loss is in the high frequency ranges along with tinnitus that gives me a constant ringing in my ears, similar to when you shoot a gun without hearing protection. They are digital and tuneable to your loss. My hearing loss is from working in a stamping plant for 32 years. I wore hearing protection religiously while at work and it still got me.

Man you are headed for a whole world of education on hearing loss. I started having issues back in the late 80's with what they called "Sudden Hearing Loss". I woke up one morning and with a major problem. I'd lost 50% of my hearing over night while I was sleeping. Boom! Over the next few years I would lose chunks of different ranges just in a matter of a days time. A year ago last September I lost it all. The only option I have now is the implants.

But to say what to get will depend entirely on what your loss is and how dramatic. If your loss is even across the freq ranges you could do fine with an analog unit. The analogs amplify everything. If the losses are higher or lower in different freqs the digitals will be the answer. They can be programed to compensate for the ranges you need for speech comprehension and eliminate unwanted sounds.

I had both types but if I could still use them digitals are the only way to go. Brace yourself for "sticker shock" when you look into aides. The analogs can run low end from around $700.00 and digitals can start around $1,000 and run up to several grand each. The last set of digitals I had were $2,200.00 each. The implants I will be needing are over $75,000 (including surgery)

But the audiogram they will do at your appointment will answer most of your questions on what you need. Go from there. All I can recommend at this point is find the best audioligist available in your area. The one that is more concerned about what you hear over selling you the BEST aides is the guy you want. After that having a good ENT Dr. is going to be helpful also.

But the sooner you get aides the better off you will be. Having the correct aide will change your life. It's a frustrating time getting used to them and learning what they can and can't do. You learn to adjust to what you hear through the aides.

So good luck with the audiogram and hope your loss is minor. You come up with any questions feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer them if I can.

Mike

Fuzzy ... THANKS FOR POSTING THIS

It has acted as a reminder that I need to get mine checked as I have had a hearing problem too for quite a long time. When I am in with several people, all talking, I can't make out what any of them are saying... it's all just a big BUZZ of noise to me.

huh?

yes same here I have had this problem for years

and i get my hearing checked every year and it just keeps getting worse

Doc says its in the Voice range of a womans speach (so not all bad) also can not seperate the background noise from people talking makes it very hard some times not always wanting to say whats that! or sorry didnt hear ya! again!

and the best one Do you need to have that TV so loud!!!

No Dear! I dont need to listen to what there saying:doh:

I've had a hearing aid for years but I've grown tired of the smack on the back of the head when I say the wrong thing so I may have to look into an electronic type.

Andy

I have one of those (hearing aids) too. It also gives me dirty looks when I misunderstand, that way I really do not even have to hear, just watch until I get it right. Like you, I am getting tired of this though.

Fuzzy

yes same here I have had this problem for years

and i get my hearing checked every year and it just keeps getting worse

Doc says its in the Voice range of a womans speach (so not all bad) also can not seperate the background noise from people talking makes it very hard some times not always wanting to say whats that! or sorry didnt hear ya! again!

and the best one Do you need to have that TV so loud!!!

No Dear! I dont need to listen to what there saying:doh:

That is me, exactly. I am getting so tired of the reactions from people. I can deal with my family and it is OK, but when people are saying stuff at work and kinda making fun of me with out me being able to hear it, then that bothers me. I would suppose that it is aggravating for them also.

Fuzzy

I started wearing hearing aids just over a year ago Fuzzy. It took me over a month to pick the ones I thought were good for me. There are many to choose from that will do or not do certain things.

I settled for the programmable ones that they hook up to a PC and give you a hearing test with them in your ear. Mine have 4 different settings. I can reach up and change by pushing a little button. You will need that option to stop the back ground noise if you are in a crowded room.

Most places that sell aids will let you take a pair and try them for 5 days. Take them back and try a different type. I did this four or five times.

Mine are the ReSound brand.

By the way, I take them out when I ride:whistling:

Snaggletooth had a lot of great info for you. I wear digital Phonak behind the ear aids. I was also issued a remote that I could use to set volume on each aid, or select programs like someone mentioned doing with a button on the aid, and I was issued a device that acts as a bluetooth for my cell phone, or will accept line input from an MP3, etc so it feeds through my aids.

I resisted getting hearing aids, but the Army doc didn't leave me much choice and my wife backed him up. It has made my quality of life WAY better. Yeah, sometimes background noises, wind, etc cause an issue, but nowhere near the issue saying "huh?" all the time or nodding when I had no idea what the heck was being said did.

I chose a behind the ear (BTE) model because after watching a boss that had in the ear aids I figured that would be the best way to go. So here are some observations on that:

1. I broke one of the hearing aids taking off a helmet, the behind the ear piece snagged and the aid was pulled off my ear and hit the sidewalk. If you wear a tight fitting helmet, behind the ear models will be a problem for you.

2. I believe BTE models are more prone to wind noise. The microphones are on the back of the aid, and noises from behind you can overpower whatever else you are trying to listen to.

3. If you are hard of hearing, say huh a lot, and generally miss out on conversations, GET THE HEARING AID (if they can help you, that is).

I got mine about the 1st of the year through the VA. They are Starkey Wi series, RIC (receiver-in canal) They are wi-fi between each other, and have adjustability for both volume and 4 or 5 pre-selectable environments. They're almost undetectable. They can reprogram the response curves later on as your hearing changes, too. They tell you when to change the batteries, audibly, by voice. You can mute them. Pretty cool tech all in all!

http://www.starkey.com/~/media/Starkey2011/Images/product-overview/thumbs/ric.ashx http://www.starkey.com/~/media/Starkey2011/Images/product-detail/on-ear-ric-312.ashx www.starkey.com

Edited by autopilot

I wear BTE's (behind the ear). They are digital, 14 channel with 4 different settings that I can change on the fly. The channels are like an equalizer on a stereo.

The first thing I want to say to those that have had problems, go back and find someone that will work with you and set the things up properly FOR YOU!!!

My doc tweaked mine 4-5 times to get them where I wanted them. Do I wear them all the time? No. Do I wear them when I should? Yes... I can not believe the difference when I wear them.

To explain my four settings:

1) set based upon my audiology test. Tweaked several times.

2) Like the first only opened up the voice freqs a little more and muted the others a little (best for loud and crowded restaurants)

3) shut off all but the center of the voice freqs. (I use this when I'm in the GYM during a game etc to stop all the EXTRA echo noises associated with GYMS.

and 4) the freqs outside the voice freq enhanced a little. This I use when listening to music such as in a concert or through a nice stereo.

Do I need all this? Well for me it makes them do what I paid $3000.00 each to get.. She tweaks them for me about twice a year. IT WAS WORTH IT AND I CAN SAY I WAITED TOO LONG TO GO GET THEM.

BRAND - OTICON - EPOQ

OH one more thing..... I kid my wife that it has a fifth mode... It's called wife mode...(MUTE BUTTON) I get hit for that one.

Oh By The Way - this have the speaker actually in the ear. there is no TUBE into the ear, only a wire...Does away with feedback.

There are several studies that have been done about hearing loss and wind noise while wearing a helmet and riding a motorcycle. It may be the biggest contributing factor why so many of us need hearing aids....??

Here's a excerpt from one such article at:

http://www.ridemyown.com/articles/safety/earplugs.shtml

Now how does all this tie into riding motorcycles? Well, we all know that there is a lot of wind noise when we ride at speeds of about fifty miles per hour or more. And for those of us who ride with little or no fairing or windshield this noise can be pretty loud. Exposure to this degree of noise will cause damage to those hair cells that are located in the hearing portion of our ears. This is not a “maybe will cause“, but is a “it will cause“ situation. How much damage and how long before enough damage is done before we notice is unpredictable. Some people are much more susceptible than others and may sustain damage much, much sooner than someone else exposed to the same conditions. And this is where ear plugs will help. I’ve focused on wind noise, but any relatively loud noise will do the same thing-loud exhaust systems, hammering, power tools, lawn mowers (yes including the new quiet ones), weed eaters, and on and on.

The use of ear plugs will certainly lower the volume of the noise you are exposed to, but surprisingly will aid your hearing to some degree at freeway speeds. The frequency (pitch) of the wind noise is very effectively muted while lower frequencies much less so. Now don’t get me wrong, you’re not going to put in ear plugs and go out for a ride and find no wind noise, but the wonderful mechanical and exhaust sounds unaffected. But, what you will find is that you’ll still be able to hear the engine well enough to gauge engine speed or telltale signs of a problem. You’ll also be surprised just how tiring the wind noise had been and how much less fatigue there will be after a ride.

I routinely ride with a half dozen other people who rarely if ever used ear plugs until I started riding with them. Five of the six now routinely use them, and the sixth does when he thinks about it. Each of my friends already has some degree of hearing loss and each thought what difference will wearing ear plugs make if I already have trouble hearing. Beside being less tired at the end of a ride, by using plugs they are protecting what hearing they have left. The damage that has already been done is permanent, but if a person does not protect what hearing they have, further damage will occur. Whatever loss you presently have will worsen if you continue to subject yourself to loud noise

My wife is on her second pair of Audibel digital aids. VERY expensive for the hidden inside the ear digital units. Approx $4500 for both units! They work very well for her.

Batteries last for 3-4 days and the aids make a small noise when die.

They require period cleaning about every 3-6 months that includes checks and perhaps an adjustment.

If you use a cell phone be sure that the phone is certified for hearing aids. We use Consumer Cellular phones, good service, inexpensive, no contracts and most of the phones work well with her aids.

Her aids also work well with our Scala Cardo bluetooth intercom system.

Small point that is of no consequence but kinda funny: My hearing is excellent and on a couple of occasions I have vainly searched for a cricket in the house. It seems that Hannah sometimes puts her aids into one of those little "7 day" pill box things. When they are placed in a tiny little space with hard sides they make this little teeny chirping sound. I musta spent 15 minutes trying to find a cricket in/on/under/behind/on top of our china cabinet day before yesterday. Finally she remembered and dumped them out on the dining room table to hush them up. :big-grin-emoticon:

Wow, so many helpful tips and good reads from all. I want say thank you very much. I do humbly appreciate this more than you know.

My wife suggested that I look up some information on the internet. I said well, but I would rather talk to people whom have the problem. Then it hit me, I said I will post something on the Venturerider site. I first thought, before starting this thread, that this might not be the appropriate place for this. Then I thought, whom would be better than this good bunch of people/friends to help me, no one.

So thanks again to all that admit that they have the same problem and for all your caring help here.

I get the feeling right now, that I already have learnt that I am going to have to have hearing aids. Wow they are expensive for the high end/good ones. Maybe there is some sort of a program I may be able to get into to help me purchase these. Maybe I will start out with something cheaper and try to do better later.

Once again, thank you all for your impute and humor of all this. This means so much to me.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Wow, so many helpful tips and good reads from all. I want say thank you very much. I do humbly appreciate this more than you know.

My wife suggested that I look up some information on the internet. I said well, but I would rather talk to people whom have the problem. Then it hit me, I said I will post something on the Venturerider site. I first thought, before starting this thread, that this might not be the appropriate place for this. Then I thought, whom would be better than this good bunch of people/friends to help me, no one.

So thanks again to all that admit that they have the same problem and for all your caring help here.

I get the feeling right now, that I already have learnt that I am going to have to have hearing aids. Wow they are expensive for the high end/good ones. Maybe there is some sort of a program I may be able to get into to help me purchase these. Maybe I will start out with something cheaper and try to do better later.

Once again, thank you all for your impute and humor of all this. This means so much to me.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Where else could you find a bunch of opinionated, deaf old farts who'd say exactly what was on their mind? (provided of course that they actually remembered what was on their minds....lol)

Guest tx2sturgis
Where else could you find a bunch of opinionated, deaf old farts who'd say exactly what was on their mind? (provided of course that they actually remembered what was on their minds....lol)

I dont care who ya are...that there was funny!

:rotf: