I purchased a set of E 3's last summer and love them. I have about 6,000 miles on them now and the tread still looks new. I am going from Ohio to California and back in August and will be about an 8,000 mile round trip. Trying to figure out if I should put a new set on before I leave or will my current set get me there and back safely?

Without knowing how many miles you normally get from some other specific brand tires on that bike there is no way to accurately advise you on what to expect from your current tires. However, most people would have absolutely no problem getting 14,000 safe miles from an E3 rear tire on the RSV. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

You could keep a watch on them and if they start to go down hill you could order a new tire and have it shipped to a location 3 days ahead of you and then pick it up and have it mounted there. Might even be someone on the assistance list that would let you ship it to their location for you to pick it up. That way you don't order it until you need it and by doing it 3 days out you shouldn't have any delays on your trip.

My co-worker went for a long ride totalling over 5K miles RT. She ended up having a new tire installed while on vacation. You could potentially face the same scenario and there is nothing wrong with that. I am sure there are vendors along the way that will take care of the issue. Ride safe.

I have the Dunlop 404's and the rear tire is already at the wear bars....with less than 6k miles. I asked the dealer yesterday to check the balance and he said it was actually fine. I don't ride hard, lay rubber, or skid to a stop. The front tire has LOTS of tread left but I ordered Venom's front and rear. This discussion had made me think about asking the dealer to check and see if the wheel runs straight and to verify balance when they put the new tires on. The state of Washington just outlawed lead weights to balance tires and I think that law includes motorcycles as well so I'm not sure what they can do if its way out of balance.

Well, I only got 10,500 miles out of my E3s. Set at 36# front, & 40# rear. '06 RSTD, I weigh about 170# and ride alone. If this was the end of the riding season, I probably could have nursed another 1000 miles out of them, but they were getting very close to the wear bars. And the front was worn more than the rear :confused24:. No cupping or strange looking wear patterns. At 19,500 total miles, I am also on the original brake pads and all look good. Went back with the E3s, will see how this set holds up, but I don't know what I can change (other than brand) to improve the mileage.

Guest Slab_Ryder
I have the Dunlop 404's and the rear tire is already at the wear bars....with less than 6k miles. I asked the dealer yesterday to check the balance and he said it was actually fine. I don't ride hard, lay rubber, or skid to a stop. The front tire has LOTS of tread left but I ordered Venom's front and rear. This discussion had made me think about asking the dealer to check and see if the wheel runs straight and to verify balance when they put the new tires on. The state of Washington just outlawed lead weights to balance tires and I think that law includes motorcycles as well so I'm not sure what they can do if its way out of balance.

My OEM Dunlop 404's gave me 20,000 Miles (33,000 kms) set at 40 / 40 PSI. They were good tires but found the E3's were better for the type of riding (mostly long haul Slab Riding).

Guest Slab_Ryder
Well, I only got 10,500 miles out of my E3s. Set at 36# front, & 40# rear. '06 RSTD, I weigh about 170# and ride alone. If this was the end of the riding season, I probably could have nursed another 1000 miles out of them, but they were getting very close to the wear bars. And the front was worn more than the rear :confused24:. No cupping or strange looking wear patterns. At 19,500 total miles, I am also on the original brake pads and all look good. Went back with the E3s, will see how this set holds up, but I don't know what I can change (other than brand) to improve the mileage.

As I mentioned above 18,000+ Miles set at 40 / 40 PSI. 40/40 is what the tire sidewall rates as the max pressure. I get a great ride from them and great gas mileage 161.5 Miles (260 kms) on a tank of regular gasoline. I'm 210 lbs, Front Shocks set at 5 PSI and Rear Shock set at 50 PSI.

Guest Slab_Ryder

Take a look at Dyna Beads for Balancing instead of lead weights. Personally I am considering changing to Dyna Beads on my next tire change.

Thanks Kevin I'll do that. I just wonder why I got crappy mileage on this set of tires. My co worker wonders if the tire might not have been aligned correctly when I had the dealership lube the splines and shaft several months back. I'm at a loss but I don't want to toss out $400 for tires every 5 to 6 k miles.

Guest Slab_Ryder
Thanks Kevin I'll do that. I just wonder why I got crappy mileage on this set of tires. My co worker wonders if the tire might not have been aligned correctly when I had the dealership lube the splines and shaft several months back. I'm at a loss but I don't want to toss out $400 for tires every 5 to 6 k miles.

My suggestion (and only a suggestion), on your next set of tires, set the pressures at 40 / 40PSI and maintain that. Last month I changed a rear tire in Oxford Alabama. The Yamaha Dealer there was shocked at my mileage on the tires (as are my local dealers in Canada). For me, and another Venture Rider with whom I do a lot of long haul riding with, this is our norm (and he is at least 80 lbs. on the hoof heavier then myself). Our comonality is tire pressures and we both ride with E3's. I have 62,000 Miles (over 100,000 kms) on the Clock, and I am on my third set of tires, and I don't necessarily baby my tires with slow speed on my long haul trips. I ride an '08 RSV and my "Slab Twin" rides an '06.

It is always nice to hear a story about a good dealer. I wish I could say the same for my local dealer. About 3 or 4 years ago, I think it was Sleeperhawk that ended up needing a tire upon his arrival to Maintenance Day. That was before I bought a tire changer and we started doing them here. I called the local Yamaha shop and was told that they did have a tire and if we wanted to bring the wheel in and leave it with them, they could PROBABLY get to it the following day. We ended up taking it to the local Honda shop that did it while he waited and for about $40.00 less. The Honda shop charges $30.00 I think and the Yamaha shop charges $75.00.

Needless to say, not only did they not get his business but they don't get mine either. I will never darken their door unless it's an absolute emergency and they have the part I need on the shelf. It's a shame too because the service manager there is a GREAT guy and probably one of the best Venture mechanics in the country as he started riding them and working on them when they came out in '83 and knows them inside and out. He is truly a good guy but the owner of the place calls all the shots.

Those D404s evidently come in a couple different rubber formulations. The ones that Yam puts (or used to put) on the Royal Stars last only 5k to 6k. I was shocked to only get 5k out of my rear on my new RSTD back in 97. I called Dunlop and talked by phone to one of the pros there, who told me that it is true that the D404s made to OEM spec are a softer rubber than those sold separately.

Could be that there are some of those Yam spec D404s that find their way onto the market.

D404s that I have installed have lasted a long time, in fact I've got a set waiting to be installed on my Venture when the current set of E3s wear out. The E3s are too noisey for my liking. The 404s are a wimpier sidewall, but run nice and quiet until they get worn.

Patrick

Well said. I always have a spare set of D404 WWW on hand so I have no down time. I get 12k+ from them and they come in handy in a pinch.

My very good amigo stopped by about six weeks ago and visited. He has an 07 Midnight and I looked at his rear tire. It was not going to make Rolling Thunder 2011 a couple weeks later. I had him bring in the shop and I changed both tires and used Dyna Beads. I also lubed the splines and pins with Moly 60 (both dry). He called me when he got home and said the bike never felt better and it was very smooth. He now is addicted to the wide white walls.

I get my tires from Jake Wilson and they provide free shipping and the best prices.

:farmer:

Those D404s evidently come in a couple different rubber formulations. The ones that Yam puts (or used to put) on the Royal Stars last only 5k to 6k. I was shocked to only get 5k out of my rear on my new RSTD back in 97. I called Dunlop and talked by phone to one of the pros there, who told me that it is true that the D404s made to OEM spec are a softer rubber than those sold separately.

Could be that there are some of those Yam spec D404s that find their way onto the market.

D404s that I have installed have lasted a long time, in fact I've got a set waiting to be installed on my Venture when the current set of E3s wear out. The E3s are too noisey for my liking. The 404s are a wimpier sidewall, but run nice and quiet until they get worn.

Patrick

D404s that I have installed have lasted a long time, in fact I've got a set waiting to be installed on my Venture when the current set of E3s wear out. The E3s are too noisey for my liking. The 404s are a wimpier sidewall, but run nice and quiet until they get worn.Patrick

You can actually HEAR your tires?? I'm on my third set of E3 tires on this bike in 3 years (averaging over 26,000 miles for the rear and 29,000 miles for the front. I can honestly say I've not heard them at all.. hum buz or roar..

Could because of the engine whine, RK pipes or the tunes blasting on the bikes audio system... Nonetheless The E3s are one of the best tires I've had on this bike,,

Its all about the tire pressures baybee.. 40 front 41 rear and rides nice, tracks superb and corners like there's no tomorrow.. Works for me. Managed to 171 miles before reserve today after a large day of riding the highlands..

Guest Slab_Ryder

Well put Seaking! I am getting the same performance out of my E3's. Would not ride with anything else. I ride 40/40, will bump the front up to 41PSI. Just my opinion, but if feel it's important to check my tire pressures a couple of times a week and maintain the pressures. Once every couple of weeks does not cut it!

• 1 year later...

Okay, I've only run Metzeler ME880s on my Venture and am lucky to get one season out of them (6k miles or so). Who makes the "E3"? :confused07:

Is this a recommended tire over the ME880s?

I'm tired of spending a lot of money on a soft tire that doesn't last. I do a lot of twisty roads though and want something that will hold with confidence if I have to lean over far enough to drag boards in a curve. I've also heard of ME880s chunking, but have never had it happen to me in many years of putting them on my RSV and Road Star.

Thanks! :)

E-3's are Dunlop. They wear like iron. They have one of the highest tread wear numbers out there.

A few years there were issues with Metzler tires loosing big chunks out of them. A couple of members had accidents because of this. A lot of members will not use Metzlers...

E-3's are Dunlop. They wear like iron. They have one of the highest tread wear numbers out there.

A few years there were issues with Metzler tires loosing big chunks out of them. A couple of members had accidents because of this. A lot of members will not use Metzlers...

Thanks for that info. No metzlers for me

It is always nice to hear a story about a good dealer. I wish I could say the same for my local dealer. About 3 or 4 years ago, I think it was Sleeperhawk that ended up needing a tire upon his arrival to Maintenance Day. That was before I bought a tire changer and we started doing them here. I called the local Yamaha shop and was told that they did have a tire and if we wanted to bring the wheel in and leave it with them, they could PROBABLY get to it the following day. We ended up taking it to the local Honda shop that did it while he waited and for about $40.00 less. The Honda shop charges $30.00 I think and the Yamaha shop charges $75.00.

Needless to say, not only did they not get his business but they don't get mine either. I will never darken their door unless it's an absolute emergency and they have the part I need on the shelf. It's a shame too because the service manager there is a GREAT guy and probably one of the best Venture mechanics in the country as he started riding them and working on them when they came out in '83 and knows them inside and out. He is truly a good guy but the owner of the place calls all the shots.

Don, can I make a suggestion? If you are really high on the venture mechanic, why not invite him to the MD? Maybe he can give a few pointers, maybe do some work and make a few pennies and have some free food and " guy time" without having to deal with shop politics.

Perhaps it can be a win- win for him and all of the members.....

Don, can I make a suggestion? If you are really high on the venture mechanic, why not invite him to the MD? Maybe he can give a few pointers, maybe do some work and make a few pennies and have some free food and " guy time" without having to deal with shop politics.

Perhaps it can be a win- win for him and all of the members.....

Barry, that is a nice idea, but here is the fly in the ointment:

The MD is being held on a Saturday, and most bike shops are open on Saturday, which is a busy day for them. That means, there is a 93.14159 % chance that this good service manager is going to have to work that day. Secondly, the owner of the dealership may find it a conflict of interest to have his own service manager taking the day off of work to go help a large group of riders...away from the shop...and offer mechanical advice and assistance, whereas those same riders could bring their bikes to this owners dealership. (not that we would, but the shop owner sees it that way)

Advice for Don...as a way to "sell" this to the good service manager, and to the bad dealership owner, is to convince them that this could bring better community relations between this dealership and local riders. This could be looked at as a maintenance conference away from the dealership, that...if handled correctly...could entice other riders to "some day" bring their bikes in to this dealership.

Reality...all you want to do is possibly get that good service manager to attend the MD. Quite frankly, my dear, we don't care if none of the riders ever take their bikes into the dealership.

So, Don, how good of a salesman are you, eh ? :080402gudl_prv:

And Barry, still a good idea.:)

:backinmyday: