IGNORED

Uncomfortable with heal toe shifter

This is the first bike that I've owned that has a heal toe shifter. I have been riding it using just the toe but trying the heal every once in a while. It's very uncomfortable because the heal is so high when the toe is where is like it. I removed the inside belcrank and lowered the heal and it was better for up shifting. The toe was then to high to be comfortable. I started looking at other bikes (mainly HD) and most of their shifters are 2 piece with a spline that allows both the heal and toe to be adjusted separately. Does anyone make a shifter that is more adjustable or flatter than the stock heal toe? I’ve read other posts about cutting off the heal and that is not an option I want to take.:178:

i rode my RSTD for a year befor ei even tried the heel shifter...at first i did not like it and also found it seems high to lift heel to reach but after time i will not go back to just the toe shifter----i say give it a little time.

I've been working on getting used to the HT. It's starting to feel more comfortable, but the problem I'm having is the heel position is so high that my heel is not letting the throw come completely back up unless I make a conscious effort to raise the heel of my boot. Lowering the heel position will put the toe higher than a kite. I wish they did have an adjustable heel/toe angle like those on the Harley...

I used to use both the toe and heel shifter, but when I got my RSTD neither one was comfortable so I adjusted the toe to be comfortable. The heel is now too high to be used, but I don't think I'll ever go back to using the heel anyway.

:dancefool:

Thanks guy's

It sounds like most of you have the same issue with the HT. I adjusted it back to make the toe comfortable. Unless I decide to have it cut and rewelded I'll more than likey leave it that way. I do like the heal when it's lower but I can't live with the toe so high.:178:

I wear heavy box-toe boots, and could not get comfortable with my toe under there. When I wear lighter shoes, the shifter seems too high. So I started heel shifting and it works well for me. I guess I don't notice lifting my foot; I shift my feet around anyways. And maybe it's a heavy guy thing, but I am a lot stronger pushing down with my whole leg than pulling up with my toe/ankle. *shrug*

Glad you found something that works for you.

Dave

Does anyone know if this will work on an '09 Royal Star Tour Deluxe; it is part # STR-1D738-10-00.

It is a Billet Single Arm Shift Lever for a Roadliner. Yamaha sells it as a chrome accessory.

Looks really nice, but I think you'll need to add the ball attachment for the linkage hook up like on a heel/toe.

While we're on the subject....maybe?.... Yamaha had a toe shift for the RSV, but it's been discontinued. If anyone is lucky enough to have one, could you measure the length from the pivot to the pin, center to center. I'm wondering if there is a difference in the length from the toe section of the heel/toe which is 6.5"

• 4 weeks later...

Lest it appear that everyone is unhappy with the heel/toe shifter: I use mine all the time. I haven't stuck my toe under the shifter to pull up since I moved from a First Gen to a Second. In fact, I found it more difficult getting used to the position of the foot boards. I'm very happy with it just the way it is.

• 3 weeks later...