I talked to the owner, John, at F4 about getting a new windshield on my RSV. I told him I wanted a vent and he said the standard answer is no, but since he's the owner maybe. Well, he checked out the shield and said he could get the Goldwing vent installed. I know there was discussion on this before, the lack of a vent was a deciding point for many. I'ts the same height as stock but 2 in. wider per side. The Lexan sounds like a superior product and for $30 more than comparable Clearview shield, I think I'll go for it.

The other option is the round pop type vents too. A little cheaper and easier for a self install. All you need is a properly sized hole saw, a capable drill, and a steady hand.

3rd post down in this thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27012&highlight=round+vent

Gives part number and place to order.

I have a Goldwing style vent in my clearview shield and I like it. If I were to install one on my own though in a 300 dollar shield, I'd go with the round vents (2 or 3). Less chance of screwing it up. Just my :2cents:

The tricky thing with the GW style vents is that if it doesn't fit the contour of the windshield just right it can be very difficult to get it to fasten properly and stay in. Many have done it (myself included) but it took a lot of time AND I had a broken one to practice on.

Unless I misunderstood, the vent will be installed at the factory. Like Clearview, it's about $59. Total will be around $300 plus shipping. They ask you where you want it placed, so I figure just to clear the dash. I used Plastx to take some scratches out of my factory shield and it left it foggy. Plus on a trip in Florida, I got what looked like some kind of water or salt that seemed to be inside of the shield and couldn't be removed.

Unless I misunderstood, the vent will be installed at the factory. Like Clearview, it's about $59. Total will be around $300 plus shipping. They ask you where you want it placed, so I figure just to clear the dash. I used Plastx to take some scratches out of my factory shield and it left it foggy. Plus on a trip in Florida, I got what looked like some kind of water or salt that seemed to be inside of the shield and couldn't be removed.

Gotcha. If they are going to do it, then there you go. I had interpreted your initial post as a 'they might or might not' do the vent install.

For 60 bucks, that isn't a bad deal since the vent itself [if you were to buy it] would run you somewhere between 30 and 50 then the rest for the 30-60 minute install. Not too shabby.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the F4 windshields - so I'm sure you'll get plenty of good miles out of it. :thumbsup2:

Do they make a different sheild then listed on their website? I read that the 17.5 is the direct replacement for stock and is the same width. The 19.5 is 2 inches taller and 4 inches wider then stock. I'm thinking I would like the stock heigth with the 4 inch xtra width, but don't see that listed, and vent is a must. Am I missing something?

Do they make a different sheild then listed on their website? I read that the 17.5 is the direct replacement for stock and is the same width. The 19.5 is 2 inches taller and 4 inches wider then stock. I'm thinking I would like the stock heigth with the 4 inch xtra width, but don't see that listed, and vent is a must. Am I missing something?

One of the reasons I went with Clearview XL. Like the concept for the F4 but not many options.

I don't see anything either - but, if might be worth your while to give them a call and see what they have to say. The worst thing that happens is they say "no" right?

:080402gudl_prv:

2009 they said NO to installing vent at factory.... so I bought a Clearview

2009 29 Sept laid bike down at 10 to 15 mph and trashed Clearview

2010 Sent email to F4 about installing a vent at factory they said NO.... bought another Clearview

LESSON HERE..... Listen to your Customers!!! :doh:

I wish they would come out with a taller windshield so my better half wouldnt get beat as bad since she sits higher than me. I thought about maybe doing something to the seat but I dont want to mess that up and her have a uncomfortable ride that way. Anyone else have this problem?

I wish they would come out with a taller windshield so my better half wouldnt get beat as bad since she sits higher than me. I thought about maybe doing something to the seat but I dont want to mess that up and her have a uncomfortable ride that way. Anyone else have this problem?

From reading the F4 website, it seems this was one of the founder's goals. I think I understand that the 19.5" shield is 2 inches taller and 4 inches wider than stock, thus it should provide more protection for your rider.

I also have a question - is the Clearview made of Lexan like the F4, or is it acrylic?

Oops, one more question - For those of you not wanting the bigger shield, what are your reasons. I understand that some like to look over rather than through the shield. I've already made that adjustment with my stock shield, and that's in spite of it being pretty messed up. So I'm rather looking forward to the clarity of looking through a new shield. Any other negatives to the oversized ones?

Edited by Yamaman
forgot something

I purchased a Clearview XL a couple of years ago. Had the "Honda" vent installed. Have to say I didn't notice much of a difference with the vent open as opposed to closed (IMHO). I did notice compared to the stock shield it's a lot softer and scratches much more easily. Put the stock shield back on after a couple of weeks. Sold the clearview to a happy Venturer for about 1/2 price. Cleaning the stock shields I spray it with "Invisible Glass" and wipe with a soft cloth. When I did this with the Clearview it was scratched. The stock shield is "Lexan" which has a hard coating over the the base product thus scratches less again IMHO.

My 2 cents:cool17:

I also have a question - is the Clearview made of Lexan like the F4, or is it acrylic?

It's acrylic...and that's a deal BREAKER for me. Why would I replace my windshield with another one when there is a shield MUCH safer and less scratch resistant. The vent is no big deal to me and I have hear LOTS of people say that vents offer little or no help with moving air around behind the shield.

I'm going with the F4 when I get mine.

Wally

It's acrylic...and that's a deal BREAKER for me. Why would I replace my windshield with another one when there is a shield MUCH safer and less scratch resistant. The vent is no big deal to me and I have hear LOTS of people say that vents offer little or no help with moving air around behind the shield.

Wally

Thanks Wally. I think that seals it for me too. I do want to investigate the vent issue though. Maybe I'll post a new thread. I barely ride in the summers in Houston because the heat can be so unbearable. Although, to be honest, it's much more of an issue when stopped in traffic than when moving, so maybe this is a non-issue.

Thanks Wally. I think that seals it for me too. I do want to investigate the vent issue though. Maybe I'll post a new thread. I barely ride in the summers in Houston because the heat can be so unbearable. Although, to be honest, it's much more of an issue when stopped in traffic than when moving, so maybe this is a non-issue.

Not Having a "vent" is a Deal Breaker for me and F4 did not make that deal. Having a VENT is PRICELESS when you have a good Textile Jacket with zipper vents into / onto the chest area and exit vents out the Back (Tourmaster Series2 Jacket)... AWSOME AIR MOVEMENT and PRICELESS. The Clearview XXL will make your Co-Rider Happy too.

PS: Brand New 2010 Clearview "Medium with Vent" for Sale. Used on 5 mile test ride the kicker lip on the top not enough when compared to the XXL. Send me a PM or email if you want a Brand New Discounted Clearview Medium with Vent.

I got the 3 inch under (medium?) Clearview so I could see over it, with the vent for air flow. (Didn't even know about the F4 at the time.)

What I find I notice the most is that the vent breaks the slight low pressure that develops behind the windshield/in front of me. There was a subtle forward pull that's just not there with the vent, even opened only one notch. Gotta have that vent!

Wally

There are multiple qualities of both Lexan and acrylic.. Clearview uses IMA (Impact Modified Acrylic) which is the only acrylic that is DOT approved for windshields as it does not shatter like standard acrylic.

• 1 year later...

Purchased an F4 for my 2006 this spring. Road from Ohio to California and back and I have to say I love this windshield. One of the perks for me is being able to pull into gas station, grab a few paper towels, and start cleaning the bugs of the windshield. I had so many other bikers start yelling....NO....NO....you are going to scratch your shield......Not when you have an F4!!!!!

I'll tell you one thing about the F4 windshield.. they can take a hit and keep on ticking.. On a recent road trip I took a rock right dab in the middle of the windshield and what a loud SMACK noise it made.. scared the begeesus out of me.. I could see the rock coming (falling off a semi way in front of me, it must have bounced a few times before I actually saw it).. I tucked my chin down so it would hit my helmet and not my face as it might crash through the windshield but no.. SMACK-cha'wing noise and all was good.. I dunno if an OEM windshield would have survived that impact.. I'm impressed.

I've ridden with the F4 all summer and it's still in great shape, no scratched but just the small nick left behind from that one rock..

Unfortunately, the windshield is just a tad too tall for me, I need it perhaps 2 inches shorter to look over properly. Because the cost of getting it cut for me is more than buying a new (albeit lesser quality) windscreen, I'll have to replace it.. If I attempt to cut it myself and pooch the job, then I'm out a windscreen anyway which is why I won't attempt cutting it.. But man, what a great solid piece of windscreen..

I just recieved my F4 yesterday and got it installed. Will be doing some riding over the week/weekend. It's about a 1/2" shorter then the Clearview I took off so don't think there'll be any real differences with buffetting or whatever. After using the tinted Clearview for the last 3 years and looking through the F4 it sure has a crystal clear view from the seat.

One thing I noticed between the two while installing it was that the F4 has a much more flexable nature to it compared to the Clearview which is very rigid. Does the F4 flex any while going down the road?

Larry

I 'had' 21" tall extra wide sheild when i purchased my 02 RSV. I got rid of it with in the first week! I like riding in all weather and found the rain likes to collect in my line of sight. bought an after market from Yamy and cut it down to under 10". I still have the air going over my helmet, and the rain doesn't collect any more, but neither does it hit me dead on.

Do the f4's collect as well? and the clearviews?:confused24:

Do the f4's collect as well? and the clearviews?:confused24:

The Cleaview would let rain settle on it thus the reason I picked up a F4 which is supposed to do a better job of shedding rain drops. My shields are tall (gives the better half more protection) so I look thru them. I'll find out eventualy I guess. One of the other guys here who have used one for a while can give you a better idea on what to expect. All reports I've read gave favorable remarks thou.

Larry