IGNORED

Vehicle wraps?

Freebird

Any of you have any experience with vehicle wraps? I was visiting one of my customers last week and there was a matt black Lamborghini sitting in their sign shop. They told me that some college kid had dropped it off. He wanted to change the color but didn't want to have it painted. They were doing a vehicle wrap on it and making it a bright blue.

It made me think about my Bushtec trailer. I was thinking that I would have it painted at some point in the future to match the new bike. I wonder if a vehicle wrap would be a viable alternative? They can do the color and graphics all in vinyl.

Longevity I guess would be my main concern. I think that even the best vinyl is pushing it if it lasts 10 years. I've seen some last less than that.

Don't know about cost either. Would have to get a quote. Heck it may be cheaper to have it painted.

The install appears to be a lot more challenging than I would want to attempt.

You could ask someone who drives one of those cars with all the advertisements on them to see if you could look car over for imperfections, wear, and loss of adhesion in wheel wells or inside door compartments.

My brother in law had one on his van, it had the run for autism logo on it, he just removed it to change the graphic after 5 years and it looked good, parked outside all day every day. The guy who puts it on makes the graphics and does lots of work vehicles, buses... It's crazy they can cover windows and from inside you can see out but from outside you see the graphic. I will say there is an art to putting it on, no clue as to what the learning curve is. I have no idea as to the price vs paint but worth investigating.

Hi Don, I have the clear wrap on the front of my motorhome for stone protection. Some of the edges have lifted a bit but overall it's still in pretty good shape. It was installed in 2006 and it cost about $1000.00 at that time. But that might be another Canadian rip off. Could be less in the States.

Couple of thoughts.....

I USED to have a "hobby" sign shop...and although I never got into graphic printing I did a little vinyl work and I remember a few little bits about it.

Mind you...that was going on 10 years ago now so technology might have changed.

-If you are going with solid color then most 2ml vinyl is rated for 7 years

-If you decide to go with graphics, then make sure that it is printed on a SOLVENT type printer. Some shops use ECO-SOL or even ink jet and spray a UV protectant over it.

It won't last ...Ink jet will start to fade within a couple of years.

Installation requires heating and stretching the vinyl to conform to corners without leaving huge wrinkles or bubbles, plus the normal squeegeeing to apply it. It is best left to the pros!

Not that you would use it....but the "one way see thru" wraps are just perforated vinyl over the glass areas

we tried that on a tow truck at my last job, the entire truck cab was wrapped. the ends and seams came up pretty quick around wheel wells and joints. the rest adhered quite well and didn't peel and further though on some thing as small as a trailer i can see it having a very hard time to grip. on the other hand my buddy wrapped his quad and its still on solid and taking quite a bit of abuse. though to keep the edges down after he wrapped it he would the wrap about a 1/4 inch from the edges and then tape a line 1/2 and inch up the tape then sprayed the bottom lip with rocker guard. its done a good job of keeping the edges from getting pulled up by wind or debris

Any of you have any experience with vehicle wraps? I was visiting one of my customers last week and there was a matt black Lamborghini sitting in their sign shop. They told me that some college kid had dropped it off. He wanted to change the color but didn't want to have it painted. They were doing a vehicle wrap on it and making it a bright blue.

It made me think about my Bushtec trailer. I was thinking that I would have it painted at some point in the future to match the new bike. I wonder if a vehicle wrap would be a viable alternative? They can do the color and graphics all in vinyl.

Longevity I guess would be my main concern. I think that even the best vinyl is pushing it if it lasts 10 years. I've seen some last less than that.

Don't know about cost either. Would have to get a quote. Heck it may be cheaper to have it painted.

If they can do this..............http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=lunch%20truck%20wrapped&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEkQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DemSvXCnujKM&ei=5P_vUf2WHuSqyAHcqIH4Aw&usg=AFQjCNG_kbup9SPpt692rWLYHu8zoI4sOA&bvm=bv.49641647,d.aWc

So it looks like you could get the trailer done BLACK :bluesbrother: with FLAMES, :225:and SKULLS :shock3: with EAGLES :confused07: and all that great HARLEY stuff! :whistling: that way it will match the new bike and all the t-shirts you buy :stirthepot:

I guess that is a little harsh!?:no-no-no: Sorry, Boss!

That's thinking out of the box.... Great idea. I checked on having my trailer lid painted to match by a custom painter and it got real pricey...real quick. Figured I'd stick with the all black. Now I gotta start scheming again. See what you started..... The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is a perfect color match???

• 1 year later...